Anybody over 200lbs and over 50 doing the C25K?

Options
I am 54 years old and 230lbs. I have been on MPF for about 6 weeks. I have lost a total of 15lbs. I have been going to gym at least 2 times a week and using the treadmill. I started the C25K today and made it through the first workout. I am just worried that I am too old and too fat and should not be running.

Replies

• stpattysgirl82
    stpattysgirl82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 3 Day 2 tonight and I'm 30 y/o 295 lbs. I think it just depends on our bodies. I've been having some issues with my right hip/leg and so I think I'm going to have to start taking it a little bit slower. I'm not really sure why I thought that doing this as 300 lbs was a good idea, but have to start somewhere. Just listen to your body. If it hurts when it shouldn't, you should probably slow down. Good luck to you!
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm just over 200 (not for long!!!) and am doing a 5K in November. I sort of skipped out on the training part because I realized it wasn't challenging enough. Been jogging daily. Did 2 miles in 24 minutes today at a leisurely pace. :-D
  • Flossie710
    Options
    Lynn 625
    Since it is now October wondering how C25K worked out for you as I am 55/240lbs and thinking of trying it.
    thanks
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am 64 and weigh considerably more than 230 (but can remember being young and slender!). I thought I wanted to try walking, but when I tried to walk a mile I only made it to 0.8 miles. My knees were painful, but really I think the limiting factor was too much huffing and puffing and exhaustion due to not being used to so much cardio. So, I am beginning to ride my exercycle again. That is easier because I do not have to lug the extra pounds around. When I am a little more fit from using my exercycle I will try walking again.

Never, ever give up! If you want to do the C25K and can't do it, just keep at it until you can. Lots of older people even run marathons. As to the weight related issues, pay attention to what your body is telling you.
  • Lbekah72
    Lbekah72 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well, Im 40 and currently 209..
    I just finished my first half marathon last Sunday the 14th and it was AWESOME and there were all ages shapes and sizes.. My advice.. Just listen to your body and look into The Jeff Galloway Program here is a little tid bit that really helped me train ..

Run-Walk-Run to Faster Times, Faster Recovery
    By Jeff Galloway •Olympic long distance runner for Active.com

You can gain control over the amount of fatigue in a race or long run by taking walk breaks, starting at the beginning. According to numerous surveys, you'll also run faster--13 minutes faster in a marathon with walk breaks than in a continuously run event.
    Walk breaks help you mentally break up a challenging race or workout by concentrating on one segment at a time. Because you erase a lot of the fatigue with each walk break, your legs are strong at the finish--you can celebrate that evening and recover fast.
    Erasing Fatigue
    Most of us, even when untrained, can walk for several miles before fatigue sets in simply because walking is an activity that we can do efficiently for hours. Running takes more work because you have to lift your body off the ground and then absorb the shock of the landing.
    The continuous use of running muscles produces much more fatigue, aches and pains than running at the same pace while taking walk breaks. If you walk before your running muscles start to get tired, you allow the muscles to recover instantly--increasing your capacity and extending the distance, while reducing the chance of next-day soreness.
    The method involves strategy. By using a ratio of running and walking, adjusted for the pace per mile, you can manage your fatigue. Using this fatigue-reduction tool early gives you the muscle resources and the mental confidence to cope with the challenges that can come later. Even when you don't need the extra strength and resiliency bestowed by the method, you will feel better during and after your run.
    The run-walk method is very simple: Run for a short segment and then take a walk break--and keep repeating this pattern. Beginners will alternate very short run segments with short walks. Even elite runners find that walk breaks on long runs allow them to recover faster. There is no need to be totally exhausted at the end of any long run.
    Here are some tips:
    A Short and Gentle Walking Stride
    It's better to walk slowly, with a short stride. Long strides can cause shin irritation. Relax and enjoy the walk.
    No Need to Eliminate the Walk Breaks
    Some beginners assume that they must work toward the day when they don't have to take any walk breaks. This is up to the individual, but is not recommended. Remember that you decide what ratio of run-walk-run to use. As you adjust the run-walk to your liking, you gain control over your fatigue.
    How to Keep Track of the Walk Breaks
    There are several watches which can be set to beep when it's time to walk, and then when it's time to start running again.
    Walk Breaks on Long Runs
    Walk breaks can be taken according to the following schedule. Feel free to walk more or cut both of the segments in half. For example: 1:00 run/2:00 walk could be converted to :30 run/1:00 walk.
    Pace per mile Running Walking
    8:30 5:00 1:00
    9:00 4:00 1:00
    10:00 3:00 1:00
    11:00 2:30 1:00
    12:00 2:00 1:00
    13:00 1:00 1:00
    14:00 0:30 0:30
    15:00 0:30 0:50
    16:00 0:30 1:00
    17:00 0:25 1:00
    18:00 0:20 1:00
    19:00 0:15 1:00
    20:00 0:10 1:00
    Note: In 5K and 10K races, many veterans find that they run faster times when walking every mile for the first half of the race.
    Walk breaks:
    • Give you control over the way you feel
    • Erase fatigue
    • Allow endorphins to collect during each walk break -- you feel good
    • Break up the distance into manageable units ("I can go for two more minutes")
    • Speed recovery
    • Reduce the chance of aches, pains and injury
    • Allow you to feel good afterward--carrying on the rest of your day without debilitating fatigue
    • Give you all of the endurance of the distance of each session--without the pain
    • Allow older or heavier runners to recover fast, and feel as good or better than the younger (slimmer) days

Hope it helps and best of luck!! You Got this!!!!
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 but I started C25K at 230lbs, made it through and graduated. I ran my first 5K race 3 weeks ago in 35 minutes. You can do it. I remember not being able to run for the 90 seconds, felt like I was going to explode....now I'm running 4 miles a few times a week. Just keep going, don't give in, push through it, it's worth it! :drinker:
  • paul_draper
    paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 56 and was 190lb but short so I guess I'm pretty close. Starting Tai Chie arly last year made me realise exercise could be enjoyable so I started cycling to work again (6 miles each way which now takes 30-33 minutes) and also started the C25K programme. It was hard and I had to repeat a couple of weeks and I injured myself and had to go back a couple of weeks after a lay-off but I kept at it. I was helped by weather conditions that made it a delight to be out early in the morning. By the time I got to the end of the course I positively enjoyed running and can now run 12 miles in 2 hours and am aiming to increase the distance.