Do you work out when you don't feel well?

Options
A couple of hours ago I started to feel light-headed and like something was not quite right with my vision--not exactly dizzy spells, but hard to focus. I kept feeling like I needed to take my glasses off, but that didn't help. Then I became quite nauseated and my stomach is still upset. All I want to do is drink some water and lie on the couch, but there's a part of me that says I'm just making excuses and I should work out anyway, although I'm sitting at 900 calories and the thought of eating is...well it's not helping with the nausea.

What do you do when you don't feel well? Do it anyway because something's better than nothing. Or wait it out until you feel better?

Replies

• KravMark
    KravMark Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I see you have one of three potential problems ,

1. Your sick in which case you prob should just relax and not work out.
    2. Your dehydrated and need water
    3. You haven't eaten enough food today

900 cal is pretty low and my guess is it's the third option. Try to eat something like a chicken breast or some fruit and a protein shake and see how you feel after.

Hope you feel better soon
    Mark
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely down for more water but the thought of eating anything at all literally turns my stomach. I know 900 is low, and that's why I am concerned about working out because then I'll need to eat more than 300 to hit my goal, but the word reading the word "chicken" made me feel like throwing up, like tears in my eyes nearly gagging. I really don't want to puke!
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I really don't think you should workout in that condition - if your vision is blurry that's a problem. It seems
    Like your blood sugar is low, do you have any juice at home?
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I really don't think you should workout in that condition - if your vision is blurry that's a problem. It seems
    Like your blood sugar is low, do you have any juice at home?
    I have low sodium V8, V8 pomegranite blueberry energy which is only 50% juice, and my son's 100% juice capri sun (berry).
  • E7Hartman
    Options
    I never work out if I am sick. My body cannot repair itself if I keep trying to work it when it's broken. I have found that personally it seems to take me longer to recover if I continue to workout while sick. My goals are more muscle related then weight reduction so its counter-productive to continue while under the weather.
    That being said I know alot of guys at the gym that show up dripping snott everywhere and hacking all over the equipment. Why I dont know. You would never be able to give yourself the workout you deserve if you cant give 100%.
    Simply my opinion..
  • Martin0524
    Martin0524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My foot swelled up and most of the swelling went down. But there is still pain and signs of puffyness. My doctor specificallly said no running or jogging til the foot heals. So what did I do.. --->bought ace bandages and an ankle brace and kept on trucking. At least I cut out Jillian Michaels 30DS until the foot completely heals.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Are you feeling better? What did you decide to do?
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I started eating a protein shake with almond milk before I head to my workouts. Something gentle but filling seems to give me energy and help my workout :) I also drink water before, during and after a workout.
  • RandomPeopleDancin
    Options
    As above, if it is a mild cold I will still workout but perhaps not as intense as I normally would but anything else and I just rest. Don't want to be over-doing it and take a step back.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Anything potentially infectious I would not go to gym. Dizziness and nausea, either infection or a unrelated problem that would keep me away from the gym and if symptoms continued I would see a doctor.

I agree with previous comment, exercising when not feeling your best is counterproductive to your goals.