Oatmeal.. amazing breakfast?

Options
Seems like out of all the many breakfast combinations I have tried, so far, oatmeal seems to stick with me the longest.

I have only had instant oatmeals.

I have read posts from people talking about refrigerator oatmeal.

Hit me with a recipe or two please... three... many....

Replies

• ewai05
    ewai05 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal make good breakfast and so easy to make. I like oatmeal with banana and any kind of fruit and milk
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Plain oats, 1 banana and a spoonful of cinnamon powder.

Smash the banana up into almost liquid form before adding it to the oatmeal.
  • cuffs_r
    cuffs_r Posts: 41
    Options
    I absolutely ove the overnight oatmeals. I use this site-http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
    I change some of the recipes to my tastes, but they are so delish! hope you try them out and enjoy!
  • alsatty
    alsatty Posts: 28
    Options
    I use plain oats, yogurt, and almond milk. Add fruit in the AM and agave nectar or honey.
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    my favorite is to chop up a half a cup of strawberries and add them in before or after you cook them. if you add 1-2 teaspoons of sugar or low-cal sweetener it tastes just like quaker strawberries and creme!
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    Options
    I love any flavored greek yogurt with 1 tb. ground flaxseed, 1/4 c oatmeal! The best go to snack for me!
  • jpohoney
    jpohoney Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I always loved my oatmeal with blue berries cinnamon and a bit of sweetner would cook it all in the microwave...it tasted like blueberry crumble
  • angeltg
    angeltg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Plain oats, 1 banana and a spoonful of cinnamon powder.

Smash the banana up into almost liquid form before adding it to the oatmeal.

I do this. I also do oats, cinnamon, and raisins ( i add some brown sugar and pecans to my husband's because he likes it that way).
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Im a fan of quick oats they are fast and easy. I throw on ground cinnamon and fruit. Strawberries or peaches are really good!
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you have time to make Quaker Old Fashioned oatmeal, try putting in a cut up granny smith apple and some cinnamon (sp?). Truly yummy.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Mix up what I had in my diary this morning which I call Tahini Meusli (you will need to chop up the dates and the almonds). You will probably need more oatmeal and milk than I did, because it is sized for my my 1500 calorie diet. It was delicious, if you like sesame. Then leave it overnight. My only complaint is that it was caloric, but I did not get hungry because of the healthy nut fats and proteins.
  • liberella
    liberella Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My favorite refrigerator oatmeal combo:
    Equal parts almond milk, old fashioned (NOT QUICK) oats, plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
    1 tsp honey or maple syrup (100%- not the fake kind)
    fresh blueberries

Mix and leave in the refrigerator overnight. Can be eaten cold, or heated slightly in the microwave.

Two notes: I'm fussy about my Greek yogurt. I recently bought some from a local company (Cabot) and hated it - discovered they put in stuff like whey powder and such. I truly prefer the Greek yogurt that is simply milk and cultures. So, if you try refrigerator yogurt once and don't like it, double check your brand because additives can change the taste.

Second, to get the best "bang for the buck", make sure the yogurt you choose has a higher number of grams of protein than sugar. You can then sweeten it the way you want, and you'll probably find that you've saved a ton of sugar calories that way.
  • Annzatgoal
    Annzatgoal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I buy the big container of old-fashioned oats and make 3 cups at a time (3 cups water and 1 1/2 cups dry oats). I add a bit of salt and about a tablespoon of chopped dates. Nuke it for three mins and you have a few servings, depending on how much you want to eat. This makes four breakfasts for me, with 1% milk, a small serving of fruit and whole wheat toast.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned oats + mashed up ripe banana (great for using up the mushy ones)

Old fashioned oats + unsweetened apple sauce & cinnamon

Old fashioned oats + 1tsp unsweetened cocoa powder + a little sweetener of choice

Old fashioned oats + milk, honey, cardamom, cinnamon, and clove ("chai" style oatmeal)

Old fashioned oats + protein powder

Old fashioned oats + peaches, strawberries, or blueberries
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal!!! Oatmeal with pumpkin and maple syrup, oatmeal with banana and peanut butter, oatmeal with warm blueberries and almond butter.... I could go on and on. I just use plain rolled oats (1/2 cup) and add a bunch of mix-ins/toppings. I nearly always mix in cinnamon and chia seeds to start, then build off of that.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Just FYI if you can take the time to make the steel cut oats (they must be cooked - no overnight fridge options) ... They will last you even better. The whole grain oat will break down slower, cause less of a blood sugar spike & burn/last longer leaving full & sated longer.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    P.s. I like to make mine with cinnamon, apples & raisins.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I take half cup oatmeal, 6 oz of almond or soy milk, 1 scoop of protein powder and soak over night. In the am I add sweetner if needed and or a bit of cinnamon and that's it.