Has anyone tried Slimming World before?

Options
I don't know if this is in the right bit , apologies if not , but my friends reckon I should try slimming world rather than logging on here ... Now , I take their views into consideration , but I personally find that logging what I eat , I can see where I'm going right & wrong. I know u can log ur calories on Slimming world some how , but they charge you. I don't pay nothing for support, encouragement & advice , where they pay £5 a week for just that . Don't know whether to try it or not ...

Replies

• meem548
    meem548 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Two of my friends are also on Slimming World and slowly but surely it seems to be working for them if they are strict with themselves. I am the same as you though and don't want to pay for a group membership. I guess it's personal choice - but I don't think a group like that is for me!

Em :)
  • staceyanne1
    Options
    It's working for them , but all I hear is "how many syns for this" at least I just put in what it is and it calculates it for me . Just been informed its also £14.95 to just join!! Aswell as £10 for each book . Think I'll do same as you and stick it here :)
  • bastgoddess7
    bastgoddess7 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Free is always good.
  • ClarkeEJ
    ClarkeEJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I did it for two months but left and joined here. SW does not teach you portion control and I realised I was going over my calorie allowance using SW.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Neither Slimming World or Weight Watchers teach you how to to lose weight yourself, other than using their system and coughing up the cash to be taught their methods. With Slimming World it's counting 'syns' with Weight Watchers its 'points'. And what happens when you stop going, apart from saving ££?

You already know the basics of what to do, else you wouldn't be here to start with. Why pay for something you can get for nothing? And here, if one method doesn't work, you can look into another way and it's not going to cost you.
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I went to Weight Watchers, it was brilliant, it did work, and it DID teach me how to loose weight myself. I just got a bit tired of pointing everything.When I stopped going - I kept it off. I much prefer it here though. It's free, and counting calories works alot better for me. I feel like I can eat more. A few of my friends have had great success with Slimming World, but it doesn't seem to teach you about portion control - and for me unlimited pasta and potatoes would be lethal, lol!
  • mau5chan
    Options
    My aunt has been on it twice, she's a notorious yo-yo dieter. It did work for her... but she started putting it back on when she stopped going, because like the others said, they don't teach you do anything for yourself!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    IMO Slimming World is directly attracting yo yo dieters. It does not teach portion control in any way. With their free foods you can literally eat as much as you want. I'm not saying their system doesn't work because it does. I lost 32 lbs with them but as soon as I stopped attending class and tried to go it alone it all went wrong. I was used to eating huge portions of food whilst on SW, as long as they were syn free it was fine. I lost very slowly. Only a 1lb a week usually. Once the pressure of being weighed weekly was gone my will power went too. You have to stick to the plan for life to keep the weight off I think. Not many people realistically can do this, hence creating yo yo dieters. I know many people who attend class, loose weight, leave class, regain weight, and repeat the pattern over and over. I personally think you need to find a way of eating that fits in with your lifestyle that you can sustain forever, or you will be trapped in the yo yo system.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    I lost 8 stone with slimming world. This was about 10 years ago before they changed the plans a bit but it worked for me back then. Im not sure it would suit me now though
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I lost 4 stone on SW, but I didn't learn about portion control and managed to develop a ridiculous intolerance to pasta. I tried it again last year, but just couldn't. It works for many, but for me, it didn't last. I prefer being here, logging and learning
  • staceyanne1
    Options
    I think for me its just trying too see what is best for me. I looked at SW , and it does say you can eat as much pasta etc , I do find thatghard to get my head around. Reason why I'm big is because I can't do portion control. So prob wouldn't be q good idea going on an eating plan with hardly any limitations.
  • K8lin1985
    Options
    I used SW before this and lost 7lbs, but started to put it back on as I was clearly eating way to much.
    I joined here and have lost but now gaining again!! I have no will power when it comes to snacks and rubbish foods!

I am thinking of going back to SW as my portion control is "under control" it's just the bad foods which are going in which is my problem! :-(

xx