Why bother? u__u

Options
I'm having a motivational low right now..blah. Not to sound like a whiny baby, I just need to rant. haha

Tons of people i see hardly pay attention to what they eat and don't count calories etc and just have fun and they aren't fat. I'm not Fat either, but a bit chubby. So, for the 3rd time, i'm getting blown out counting all these calories and stuff. Also I hit a mood swing of depression the past couple days and just ate whatever I wanted and didn't have the motivation to exercise. Now I feel guilty. To add to it I haven't lost any weight using MFP so far. I gained muscle to counter the number going down, but it is still upsetting! :( How do you guys get through ruts like this? I know I should just work harder tomorrow, but blah.

Replies

• Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but luckily we were genetically designed to adapt and to evolve.

You do what you need to do, full stop.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i just know what will happen if i give up. some days, that's the only thing that keeps me going. (((hugs)))
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i dont give it much thought..my dog died of a brain cancer 3 weeks ago..and since then i've hit the gym like literally 3 times and have been eating whatever i want. i feel so depressed most days i have no energy or will..but its ok..its ok to grieve. i've gained like 2 lbs..but its not a big deal...motivation will come again. you just cant get too down on yourself.

and its very doubtful the people you see just eat whatever and dont exercise and dont seem to gain weight. people are not naturally high metabolized...and anyways, its not about what others are doing..its about what you are doing..for yourself. just indulge and get back on the horse and dont beat yourself up over it. let it go. the more you are upset the more you may want to give up.
  • UNTOLDSMILE
    UNTOLDSMILE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Everyone hits these. It's normal. It's okay to have days like this. Always remember why you started; why you push yourself. I am sure it's a good reason. Losing weight is both a physical and mental task. You are changing a lot and it can stress you out. You also have to do what works best for you. Counting calories works for some and not others. I personally love repetition. I eat like a robot. Don't get discouraged. You'll do better :)
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I usually seee some skinny chick or some pair of jeans that would look great on me if I were a few sizes smaller and gain steam again! That and I don't wan to just see the number drop, I want more energy to play with my kids and be able to meet physical challanges.
    Weight loss is trial and error. We find out what works and keep going, but when we get a stall or a gain we learn from that as well :) IT isn't a failure, we learned something. Even if it is that a short binge is hard to recover from or that those rare skinny people who are genetic A's suck!
    I am starting to think that most of those skinny b's work harder than we think and take more steps than we realize. Most of the ones I know have the energy to go along with it! They jump out of bed ready to go! They do more.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I avoid eating around people or make snacks that i pre measured so i know the calorie count. To avoid people thinking I am weird for measuring and counting food. As to the depression eating, I do it more than I care to admit. You can make up for it in the days after.

As for motivation, you should do it because you deserve to be healthy. You deserve to look in the mirror and see the person you want staring back. For the longest time I didnt bother to lose weight because I had too much to lose and couldnt see into the future. Now, 80 pounds lighter, I am super happy I did it. I have farther to go, but whenever I get down I think about good I will feel when I accomplish something everyone told me I would never do, be a healthy weight. (actually i was always told I would never be thin, but since I started using this site I have changed my thinking from Thin/skinny/scale numbers to healthy weight/body fat percentage/ and look oh so damn good :smile: )

I hope I helped even just a little bit.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I get that way every few weeks, its a lot better than it used to be when I was attempting to lose 1.5-2lbs a week and not making allowances for social events. I would starve myself till I went to a party and then go nuts, or starve myself until about a week before said party, decide I'd never get to my goal so why the eff try and I'd rather be fat than miserable (never mind that being fat was making me miserable...)

what helped me a TON was dropping my goal. I have it set to lose .5lb a week, since February I've lost 30lbs and went from a size 16 to a 10. I have about 20lbs & 4 more sizes to go :)

I also look at my calories as a weekly goal rather than a daily goal, I know that there will be nights like tomorrow that I'm going to happy hour with the girls from work or Saturday when I plan to go out to dinner with my husband, that I'm going to go over my calories so I try to save a little extra each day either from eating less or working out more to give me that cushion to not have to worry so much at dinner. This method has allowed me to enjoy Cheesecake Factory (including 1/2 a piece of cheesecake!) birthday cupcakes (3! i love them!) and stress free weekend splurging. I know I'm under for the week so even if I'm in the red that day I'm still going to lose.

You may also want to take a few days break, switch your calories to maintenance and ease up the workouts and relax a bit. I did that the end of last week. I was crabby from work, pushed too hard running and hurt my knee & hip and in general wanted to curl up with a pint of ben & jerry's and a bottle of pinot noir. a few days on maintenance and skipping the gym healed my body and gave me the mental holiday I needed.

keep positive!! you'll get there, take a stroll through the success stories forum and give yourself some motivation and reassurance that it has been done, and if they can do it so can you!!
  • lajonna
    lajonna Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm having a motivational low right now..blah. Not to sound like a whiny baby, I just need to rant. haha

Tons of people i see hardly pay attention to what they eat and don't count calories etc and just have fun and they aren't fat. I'm not Fat either, but a bit chubby. So, for the 3rd time, i'm getting blown out counting all these calories and stuff. Also I hit a mood swing of depression the past couple days and just ate whatever I wanted and didn't have the motivation to exercise. Now I feel guilty. To add to it I haven't lost any weight using MFP so far. I gained muscle to counter the number going down, but it is still upsetting! :( How do you guys get through ruts like this? I know I should just work harder tomorrow, but blah.

Have you ever thought about getting your thyroid checked? If it is under productive then its going to be hard to lose weight even if you count calories. I have thyroid issues and mine used to do that. But once I got on the right does and worked out to boost my metabolism to be where it needed to be, then i lost weight. But I wouldn't be sad about the number not moving, If your muscle mass is going up & body fat is going down then you're doing great. There's more than one way to measure your weight lose. Keep it up sweetie!
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Everyone hits these. It's normal. It's okay to have days like this. Always remember why you started; why you push yourself. I am sure it's a good reason. Losing weight is both a physical and mental task. You are changing a lot and it can stress you out. You also have to do what works best for you. Counting calories works for some and not others.

Thisthisthis.
    I couldn't put it better myself.
    A huge part of 'changing yourself' is mentally; sometimes I focus on this rather than the weight I need to lose.
  • saford10
    saford10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Last week wasn't my best either. Last Friday thru Sunday I ate whatever I wanted and I didn't exercise at all. Yesterday after work I just slept. But today I made the choice and effort to get back on track. If anything just think of how you feel after you workout or eat right. I really haven't lost any weight since the first week. I have been up and back down. But what I do know is that when I eat right and workout I sleep better which my sleep apnea has improved. I was able to do a long walk at Big Basin and part of it was at an incline and I didn't get winded, which is a miracle for me. So its those kind of improvements that matter. So make an effort tomorrow to jump back on the healthy train and get moving. You will do great.