How much do you aim to burn every day?

Options
Just for interest sake - how many calories do you aim to burn every day, and how many days per week?

Replies

• CJSCHUYLER
    CJSCHUYLER Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I try for 400 calories burned a day, 2800 a week. i am going through a cutting phase right now and do a lot of lifting in the gym and cardio everyday. I feel great so far on this schedule so i will continue to push it. My intake for what this site is saying is supposed to be about 1900 a day for a 1lb a week loss.
  • jwintonyk
    jwintonyk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and generally burn 800-1000/day...mostly circuits, crossfit, etc.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    1300 extra per day five days per week
    700 extra per day on weekends
    Been doing for the past 80 days
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    MFP has mine set to aim for 264 each day. I try to go 300 or more.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I aim for at least 600 every day.
  • GrumpyAG
    GrumpyAG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I aim for 450 a day but I'm a runner so often double/triple my goal :)
  • JessV_83
    JessV_83 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sjoe, you guys burn a lot!!

Previously my aim was to burn 300 calories, about 4 times a week.
    Obviously this is the reason why I'm not losing the weight the way i'm hoping to!!!

Think going to try aim for 500 calories, 5 times a week.

Will keep an eye on this thread!
    xx
  • DebraAukett
    DebraAukett Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are all doing so well, seems I need to up my game as I only burn 250 - 300 a day x 5 days a week. Ordered my HRM so hopefully when it comes I will be able to see exactly how much I burn and work towards exercising more optimally.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    1000-1200 calories a day per my Polar FT60 HRM............. I work in a rest day every 3 days or so....
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What other's are 'burning' isnt relevant to you. They will be bigger/smaller/older/younger have different goals and lifestyles etc.

If you want to lose 40kg (on your ticker) then focussing on what you eat rather than what you burn will get you there quicker. Of course burning more cals will help too - but harder than just not eating them in the first place!
  • krissagray
    krissagray Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What other's are 'burning' isnt relevant to you. They will be bigger/smaller/older/younger have different goals and lifestyles etc.

If you want to lose 40kg (on your ticker) then focussing on what you eat rather than what you burn will get you there quicker. Of course burning more cals will help too - but harder than just not eating them in the first place!

Good advice!

I am not trying to be rude but I see some calorie burns on MFP that make me almost chuckle. You do not burn 1200 calories doing an hour long Zumba class at the gym! Ya know? Or I seem some people count stuff as a calorie burn that is normal activities of daily living...not exercise.

I think aiming for a TRUE 300 calorie burn (I believe that was OP goal) is a good one! Getting calories under control and burning 300 calories a day is great. I tend to do more because I have turned into a cardio junkie but it is NOT REQUIRED to lose fat.

edit:and I think a lot of heart rate monitors are crap. Good for doing just that...monitoring your heart rate. The calorie burn is often silly high!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Absolutely ... 80% nutrition, 20% exercise ...
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

Good advice!

I am not trying to be rude but I see some calorie burns on MFP that make me almost chuckle. You do not burn 1200 calories doing an hour long Zumba class at the gym! Ya know? Or I seem some people count stuff as a calorie burn that is normal activities of daily living...not exercise.

I think aiming for a TRUE 300 calorie burn (I believe that was OP goal) is a good one! Getting calories under control and burning 300 calories a day is great. I tend to do more because I have turned into a cardio junkie but it is NOT REQUIRED to lose fat.

edit:and I think a lot of heart rate monitors are crap. Good for doing just that...monitoring your heart rate. The calorie burn is often silly high!

agreed. I only log / track my strength training workouts for the most part and on a good day that's like 83-100 calories for me. My am workouts consist of either cardio or some time of plyometric routine or p90x bonus video & i am loosing inches and gaining muscle. I've been stuck at 122-123 on the scales for the past month but i am liking my figure more & more every day i get up & look in the mirror...

I agree with all the above!, and my own lil quirk is seeing ppl track house work or something they'd be doing anyway. I mean good for you but, house cleaning hasn't helped you thus far, why track it now...? lol
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above!, and my own lil quirk is seeing ppl track house work or something they'd be doing anyway. I mean good for you but, house cleaning hasn't helped you thus far, why track it now...? lol
    Working out twice a day hasn't helped you thus far, why track it now...? lol
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Working out twice a day hasn't helped you thus far, why track it now...? lol

lol, i don't... not sure if the implacation above was serious or humorous but it's the ppl tracking things they do and have done everyday that get to me - although not too much, b/c i'm too focused on myself to let it. but if you've been taking the stairs all ur life & think tracking it now will help it won't - doing something outside of what you usually do is what's gunna make a difference.

that's why i go to the gym 2x a day - not b/c i always have - but b/c it's something that challenges my body - heck just getting out of bed an hr early challenges my body... :drinker:
  • DebraAukett
    Options

Oh am eating healthy and not more than I should - don't you worry about that - I was just asking out of pure interest. I learn a lot out of others' experiences and was wondering as I'm on a mission not only to lose weight, but to get fit as well.
  • DebraAukett
    Options

Good advice!

You have it spot-on :-) Yes - I want to burn some GOOOD calories - true calories. I want my workouts to count!
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Obviously this is the reason why I'm not losing the weight the way i'm hoping to!!!

xx

"Sjoe" are you from SA?
  • DebraAukett
    Options

agreed. I only log / track my strength training workouts for the most part and on a good day that's like 83-100 calories for me. My am workouts consist of either cardio or some time of plyometric routine or p90x bonus video & i am loosing inches and gaining muscle. I've been stuck at 122-123 on the scales for the past month but i am liking my figure more & more every day i get up & look in the mirror...

I also think it's silly to log cleaning and such as exercise. I only log solid workouts like if I do a 30 Day Shred, Kettlebell, Dance or Boxing workout. I'm also at a stage where I'm stuck on my weight, but steadily losing inches - so I guess my workouts does help a lot
  • DebraAukett
    Options

xx

"Sjoe" are you from SA?

We both are :-D