Confessions of an over-eater......

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the site, my brother introduced me to it, and am I ever glad he did! I have gained 13 pounds in the period of the month of October, very suddenly. I have a few ideas as to the reasoning behind it, I quit smoking in September, and started (and recently stopped) a new birth control which under side effects lists "rapid weight gain". But I think the main reason is my true secret: I overeat. I don't look like your typical overeater as I used to be a competitive figure skater and until recently had a smokers metabolism, and I am still pretty active. But with this recent weight gain I know something has to be done. Over the past 5 years I have weighed anywhere between 130-170 pounds, and I know its not healthy to keep yo-yoing between weights like that....especially so drastically. I would really appreciate some tips to help curve wanting to stuff my face 24/7......basically a healthy relationship with food.

Since joining the site last week I have learned that some days I don't eat nearly enough....which also may lead to bingeing on other days....so I am learning to eat more consistently.
Any help would be so appreciated!!!

Replies

• AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    I just want to say welcome and glad you are here! :flowerforyou:
  • LadyAshe
    LadyAshe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ty AmandaJ :)
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Being aware of what you put in your body will help. Making sure you get enough cals daily will help with the binges.
    Work on being healthy and obtaining a new Healthy lifestyle. Which means eating what you like some days as long as it's in moderation! Look at naturally thin people, many of them eat desert but only a little and not nightly...examples like that.
    Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • plumppeach28
    Options
    Welcome :)

This site has helped me more than I could have ever imagined! I hope it helps you just as much!!

I've been a smoker for 15yrs.. A constant work out routine will DEFINITELY make you feel better about NOT smoking!! I started to work out and had no choice but to quit (I still cheat too, I wont lie.. but I pay for it the next day!!) And the pill.. the pill can be the devil lol I'd ask your Dr. to switch right away! There are too many out there that WONT make you gain weight!

Good luck!! Hope to see more of your successful posts :)
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Welcome! Something that helps me is I think of my body as my car. I wouldn't put dirt down the gas tank of my car...so why would I put something just as bad for my body in my mouth. It's much more precious than a car, but yet we don't treat it as such. This analogy always seems to help me.

Good luck on your journey!!
  • LadyAshe
    LadyAshe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips!!

I already pulled myself off the pill....I definitely do not want to pump my body full of hormones that can affect me so greatly!!

The analogies were great too:) And I am in the middle of moving and starting a new job, but once everything settles I'll be sure to sign up at the nearest gym to get out ny quit smoking frustrations!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! This site is amazing, not just the exercise and food diary, but the Community too! I've only been here about two months, and I'm hooked. It's the first site I go to in the morning, and the last I go to at night. Good luck to you and see you around the message boards!
    Kathy
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

You're on your way to a "healthier lifestyle" don't get impatient (sp). :flowerforyou: