Are Kettlebells an effective way of strength training?

Options
2»

Replies

• jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Please be sure to learn form from a certified Russian Kettlebell instructor and not Jillian Michaels.....kettlebell swing is an awesome workout. Tracy Reifkind is pretty amazing....it's not super exciting but you will work your butt off.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I personally HATE kettlebell but they are a great workout. Be sure to take a class because if you get the form wrong then you will REALLY screw up your back.

Good luck. I say give it a try.

I did take classed with a place that does only kettlebells but left when I came to realize I just didn't like it for my exercise. I still do them from time to time with my trainer.
  • ElizaDnl
    ElizaDnl Posts: 46
    Options
    Anything that weighs something is good for strength training.... lol.

:smile: Agreed. I usually do bicep curls with my groceries while carrying them into the house, but it's time to move on to bigger and better things!
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love my kettlebell work outs. Unfortunately, I live in an area that doesn't have a gym let alone kettlebell instructor. I have learned everything from dvd's. I work out to Lauren Brooks and Sarah Lurie, both RKC's. I also have Lauren Brooks's Kettlebells for Women book. Obviously not as good as having personal instruction but it's the next best thing. I started with a 10 lb bell, went to a 15 lb bell and now have an 18 lb bell. I am looking to move up to a 12 kg bell for lower body exercises. As everyone else said before, form is key. I one time looked down while doing overhead swings, so I rounded my back and pulled a muscle in my lower back. Very painful and took almost a week to heal. I now make sure to look straight ahead (or up at my kettlebell) and make sure to keep my back straight.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    It may be best to ask the women that were squatting and deadlifting over 100lbs in less than a month of training what they think.
  • Nikki_Nx
    Nikki_Nx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have kettlebells at home and at at the gym. I should do more....they are brilliant!!!! :smile:
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels also has a good intro kettlebells video available on Amazon - its a good way to try it out at home (you can use a hand weight) to see if you like the concept. I think in an either-or situation the kettlebells are a good way to go since you get cardio and core at the same time as strength training.

The Jillian Michaels kettlebell DVDs are awful. The form she illustrates is very poor form and will get somebody hurt. She has been heavily criticized for using very poor form that you can only get away with when working with the very light weights she has people using. Moving up to heavier weights and following her cues you WILL injure your back.

I have to agree with this! I have no kettlebell training, but I knew she wasn't demonstrating them properly or safely. However, the kettlebell set was worth it!
  • Nikki_Nx
    Nikki_Nx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have used Sarah Lurie's Iron Core Kettlebell workouts now for 6 months, several times a week. They are 25 minute workouts. I have worked my way up from one ten lb kettlebell to two 20 lb kettlebells (about 1/3 my body weight). I have also lost 11 lb though the exercise and a low calorie deficit via tracking on MFP. Last night there was a friends gathering and I got a lot of comments on to the effect of " you look buff". or "you look thin". When I was the same weight previously and running regularly, I never got those comments. I think that is because my upper body is now toned for the first time in my life. My arms/neck.upper chest are usually more visible than my legs, and that is what people see. Incidentally when I was the same weight previously from running, I was also a size larger. Somehow the kettlebells are really effective at toning all over. I also enjoy the workouts, it's a lot easier than running, which I had to decrease due to my hurting knees.

So definitely a convert here. Incidentally we have learned entirely from the Sarah Lurie videos as well as youtube technique videos, I don't belong to a gym.

Hi Scrappy25,
    Many thanks for the posting on Sarah Lurie and Ironcorekettlebells....have just ordered the DVD. I do do kettlebells, but I wanted something to help me more xx
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I`m one workout off finishing Kettleworx 42 programme....Best programme i`ve ever done and can`t wait for level 2 to start next Monday...