Porridge every morning

Options
Hi All,

I mentioned to a friend that I have porridge (Oates so Simple) every morning for breakfast. She was surprised and said it might not be enough variety to have the same type of grain every day.

I assumed it would be ok to eat this every day in the week and have eggs at the weekend.

What do you think, is having porridge in the morning lacking in variety nutritionally?

Thanks!
Pete

Replies

• inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't think having the same thing is a problem, however those are not the best type of oats to have. They are very processed and a part of the grain has been removed. You'd be better off having rolled oats or steel cut oats (they have different names in different countries) - that's the whole grain and much better for you. Doesn't Oatso Simple have added sugars too?
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast, the only thing that varies is the fruit I put in it....boring I know, nutritionally I doubt you are doing any harm
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I, like you have Oat so Simple for Brekkie almost everyday. I only eat carbs at breakfast and lunch and don't tolerate wheat very well. It is healthy, delicious and keeps me going to lunchtime unlike many other cereals for the same cals... Oats are a great source of slow release carbohydrates and a healthy way to start the day.
    Don't sweat it, half the battle with food is finding what works for you, if you like it and it fits in with your regime then it will work.
    Good luck
    Jules
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Propper porridge Monday to Friday and muesli at the weekend.

I don't think there is anything wrong with eating the same breakfast almost every day.
  • Scott277
    Scott277 Posts: 63
    Options
    Thats exactly what i do, i have oats so simple and a slice of whole toast when im working as its quick and gives you slow release energy. When i have longer which is roughly 2-3days a week I will make eggs or baked beans for breakfast!

I am aware Oats so simple is full of added sugars etc so im waiting till iv used all this batch up then ill get the proper stuff!

To answer your question, no there is no harm in having it everyday although it does get boring and i through in some "Wheetabix" or Muesili some days.
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It's not like you're eating in burger king every day, oats are good for you =)
  • patfyfe
    patfyfe Posts: 17
    Options
    I make up my own porridge using the oats very easy to make in the microwave. I also use soya milk as this makes it creamy. Try adding fruit, or honey and nuts to make a change. I tend to eat this most mornings but also will occasionally have weetabix for a change.
  • Peteshaped
    Peteshaped Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies :)

The advantage of Oates-so-simple is how easy it is to get repeatable results. I suck at making good porridge usually :D Plus it's only 2 minutes in the microwave, which is great!