Multivitamins make my stomach hurt :(

Options
Does anyone know why this is? I couldn't find anything definitive when I searched on Google, so I hoped that someone had some insight. Thanks in advance!

Oh and I try to take it with a meal so it won't hurt the tum, but it still does. Doesn't matter if I take in morning or at night, it still hurts.

Replies

• TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know why this is? I couldn't find anything definitive when I searched on Google, so I hoped that someone had some insight. Thanks in advance!

Oh and I try to take it with a meal so it won't hurt the tum, but it still does. Doesn't matter if I take in morning or at night, it still hurts.

same problem for me, but the chewable vitamins dont hurt me. Try that? (they say on the label that they're for adults, too! don't let the animal shapes stop you. :)
  • sharonlb
    sharonlb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get stomach aches from vitamin tablets, too (and nausea -- a pill doesn't do much good when it comes back up!) Try a type that dissolves in water, like Airborne, Emergen-C, or One-a-Day multivitamin drink mix. Those don't make me sick, but they do taste kind of bad, and be sure to read what nutrients you are getting and how much, as they are not all meant as a complete vitamin/mineral solution.
  • akivi73
    Options
    I experience the same thing, but I find if I eat right after I take my vitamin I don't get nauseous.
  • cah0806
    cah0806 Posts: 112
    Options
    I have the same problem. I get so nauseated and my stomach hurts (almost like I have a virus) every time I take a multi-vitamin. What kind do you take? Does it have any extras in it? Mine has green tea to help with weight management so I wondered if that had anything to do with it. I have given up taking those and share my daughter's Hannah Montana gummies.
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    I've tried many different kinds of multivitamins because I was vegetarian, poor, and in college haha. So I KNEW I was not getting the right nutrition, which my neurologist (I have migraines) confirmed. And they all hurt my stomach too, we all absorb nutrients differently.

But I've been out of college for about 6 months, cook for myself, and keep track of nutrition on here and elsewhere also. I checked in with my neurologist for another exam and I'm pretty good in all areas so I don't need a multivitamin!

And our bodies generally don't absorb vitamins from pills as well as they absorb the good stuff from healthy foods. I'd recommend trying to avoid the multivitamin if you can. Otherwise, shop around and find some chewables or something you can handle! Good luck!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I find milk helps from me getting that green feeling when i take them, or switch it up and take them before you go to bed (thats what I do with my BC) so that you will be asleep and not notice the icky feeling :smile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    That's a really common problem with multivitamins. Try cutting them in half and take half in the AM, half in the PM.
  • candessb
    candessb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    whole food vitamins dont have the same effect.
    you usually have to take 3 of them a day...they are more efficient because you can absorb more of the vitamins and minerals.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. SO I started taking mine at bedtime and I sleep through any side effects. My daughter uses the gummy ones and she doesn't have that problem.
  • krisolso
    krisolso Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Often the iron in multivitamins is the culprit for abdominal pain. I take viactiv multivitamins because they don't contain iron. Since I switched I haven't had any stomach pains/GI upset. It's worth a try. The best time to take them is in the morning with food. Hope that helps!
  • OliveBranch
    Options
    I have the same problem! I noticed I started to get extreme nausea after taking calcium + vitamin D supplements...I couldn't figure out why I felt like I was going to throw up all the time! I stopped for a day and poof! It went away.
    Iron is especially hard on the tummy.
    Maybe try switching brands...I found one that is free of any artificial preservatives or colors, and I seem to feel better on that...
    Although, I went without any multi's this weekend, and had no stomach problems and more energy!
    Perhaps try to do your best to get as many vitamins supplied through your diet as is possible.
    Good luck!
    -OB:flowerforyou:
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Try Flintstone vitamins. I took two a day when pregnant. If its good for kids, and pregnant women, why wouldn't it work for the rest of the population?
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone! I'm thinking I'm gonna go out and get some Flinstones vitamins now teehee :blushing:
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Often the iron in multivitamins is the culprit for abdominal pain. I take viactiv multivitamins because they don't contain iron. Since I switched I haven't had any stomach pains/GI upset. It's worth a try. The best time to take them is in the morning with food. Hope that helps!

Iron is 100% the culprit for me as well! I look for ones w/o iron that are time-released.
  • porterbaby38
    Options
    i take the one day multivitamins for women and does that to me too. it hurts my stomach and makes sick, so does the fish oil pills. so what i do i take them and then i eat something after i take and it makes my stomach feel a little bit better.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I am glad I found this topic. I always wondered why I got sick at my stomach after taking vitamins. I think I will try some of these suggestions.:tongue: I always made fun of my husband for taking flinstone vitamins but that might work for me.

Thanks
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    i take the one day multivitamins for women and does that to me too. it hurts my stomach and makes sick, so does the fish oil pills. so what i do i take them and then i eat something after i take and it makes my stomach feel a little bit better.

Regarding fish oil. Part of the problem can be the type of fish oil you are taking. If it is the run of the mill drugstore fish oil, rather than pharmaceutical grade, it will have more impurities and that increases the chance of stomach upset.

If you are a Costco shopper, they have a Kirkland brand of enteric coated fish oil that I have used for some time, and I never have any stomach upset from fish oil.

In my area, Washington state, Costco also sells a brand of ADULT gummy vitamins that I have put my mom and a friend on who both had stomach issues with regular multi vitamins. For myself, I had swallowing "horse pills" so the gummies work great.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Regarding fish oil. Part of the problem can be the type of fish oil you are taking. If it is the run of the mill drugstore fish oil, rather than pharmaceutical grade, it will have more impurities and that increases the chance of stomach upset.

If you are a Costco shopper, they have a Kirkland brand of enteric coated fish oil that I have used for some time, and I never have any stomach upset from fish oil.

In my area, Washington state, Costco also sells a brand of ADULT gummy vitamins that I have put my mom and a friend on who both had stomach issues with regular multi vitamins. For myself, I had trouble swallowing "horse pills" so the gummies work great.
  • SelkieGhost
    SelkieGhost Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I get a good dose of vitamins/minerals in the protein shake I use - Spirutein (highly recommend the brand to everyone) - tastes good, and delivers the vitamins/minerals along with protein, with no ill side effects :-)
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    What does the gummy adult vitamin taste like? I want one with high iron (which is apparently the tummy upset-er) because women in general are anemic and I don't eat a lot of red meat. I have a cheap vitamin too b/c I am a poor student :laugh: