ONLY 3.5LBS WEIGHT LOSS IN 1 MONTH!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• nithinmuktesh83
    nithinmuktesh83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is a very reasonable loss, especially considering the fact that you aren't starving yourself.
    You are likely not building muscle eating at a deficit, no matter what anyone says. More than likely, you are retaining some water. It seems that you eat a lot of processed foods, which are generally pretty high in sodium. My recommendation would be to substitute some of those with whole foods--fruits, vegetables, nuts, quinoa, etc. See if that doesn't make a difference.
    Above all, be patient. If it's truly a lifestyle change, then you have all the time in the world. The weight didn't go on overnight, and it won't come of overnight. A few tweaks here and there, and you'll see the weight continue to drop off. Good luck!

Hi..thanks a lot for reply. Can you please let me know which food you felt was the high sodium ones? Will try to replace those...
  • fortyonetogo
    Options
    the decreasing number on the scale is only a mental image we hold onto because it's a way we are use to tracking with a weight scale. As long as you're noticing a physical difference as far as losing inches and gaining strength I'd say you're on a good track and should stick with it. A pound of muscle takes up much less space than a pound of fat. If you weigh 185 and are very muscular you will be much smaller than someone of the same height/build who weighs 185 but have hardly any muscle. Also, I think an article of clothing you regularly wear can be a better mirror for seeing how much progress you're making. Put it on. Notice how it fits (maybe take a pic) continue with what you're doing for 2 more weeks and repeat the process with the same article of clothing. I think you'll see a big difference.

hope this helps
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You may also be losing inches are u taking measurements ? Also every pound counts hang in there ....there is no easy fix .......Just stay strong and continue what u are doing ....Doing something is better then doing nothing :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Yes, i have lost inches for sure. i can fill tht. I have a HUGE belly. Thats reduced quite a lot now. But only thing it, its not showing up in the scales :-(

So what's the problem? Who cares what the arbitrary number on the scale says if you've seen significant decreases where you want them. Isn't that the whole point?

Regardless, you still lost 3.5lbs in a month, which I would happily strangle several people to death to obtain. Odd thing to be disappointed by.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    If you are seeing changes in your shape, then take measurements, that can help keep you motivated for when the scales dont behave :-)

Re the carbs, you don't need to cut them out completely, just aim for an overall balanced diet.
    I go with 40% carbs / 30 protein / 30 fat and try to get 5 fruit & veg a day. If I was eating Indian food, I used to have chicken or lamb curry with naan and rice, now I will have chicken tikka, curry and then naan OR rice, so I am replacing one of the carbs with a protein but still having a tasty meal.
    Try and get the majority of your protein from proper food like meat, eggs, cheese, nuts, greek yogurt etc., but protein bars and shakes are good as a supplement. They can be high in carbs / sugars / fat though too so try and find one that has at least 80% protein content, and below 2g of carb/sugar/fat.
  • cwashkowiak
    cwashkowiak Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up, that's the MOST important thing. 3.5 is a GREAT loss in a month!!!! I joined a lose 10 in 30 days group on mfp and have been really discouraged that I've only lost 2 since the beginning of Aug. Like everyone else is saying, it's better to limit carbs, more protein and as we all know, muscle weighs more. I've been doing strength training too and have noticed that my clothes fit differently, but it's not reflecting on the scale. Take pictures of yourself every 10 days, you will notice a difference :) Best of Luck and keep at it, you can't come this far and give up because of a number, it's all about how you are changing your lifestyle.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    ONLY? LOL
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are terribly low on protein, and probably too low on calories as well. Bread with a side of noodles for lunch? Swap those noodles for a hefty serving of protein. I am 5'4, 117 lb female and eat over 100 grams of protein easily a day.