Female Heavy Lifters - How to lift heavy without injury?

Options
13»

Replies

• ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone that form is the key. Rippetoe's videos, his book, all good info there. I started off with Stronglifts, but I also am cutting so it was a little more intensive than I want right now so I do Reverse Pyramid Training, which means that my first lift each day I work out (3) is one of my major compound lift (DL-Tues, Bench Press- Thurs, Squat-Sat) and after warming up I start at my highest number and then reduce by 5-10%, then I do some of my supplements like pull-ups, OHP, Dips, etc. I do not recommend you start there, though, because you don't know your highest numbers yet, so you should build up. Stronglifts, Starting Strength are good for that.

These are not my 1 rep max, these are my working sets
    Deadlift - 155 lbs
    Bench Press - 90 lbs
    Squat - 75 lbs (I was up to 90, but realized my form needed further work, so I have deloaded)
    OHP - 55 lbs (I have been stuck here for a while, sometimes I can get in 60, sometimes not)

If other lifts are progressing and ohp isn't you may need to find a way to deload down, empty oly bar at least, and work back up. Seems too low to start microloading, but that is an option.

From what I have seen, most women have lower numbers on their OHP and experience issues with getting this much higher. Not saying this should be a limit just because I am a woman, but women do tend to do considerably better on lower body than upper body. When I enter these numbers on strstd.com, it's not that far off from the rest. It's my squats that are below average.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone that form is the key. Rippetoe's videos, his book, all good info there. I started off with Stronglifts, but I also am cutting so it was a little more intensive than I want right now so I do Reverse Pyramid Training, which means that my first lift each day I work out (3) is one of my major compound lift (DL-Tues, Bench Press- Thurs, Squat-Sat) and after warming up I start at my highest number and then reduce by 5-10%, then I do some of my supplements like pull-ups, OHP, Dips, etc. I do not recommend you start there, though, because you don't know your highest numbers yet, so you should build up. Stronglifts, Starting Strength are good for that.

These are not my 1 rep max, these are my working sets
    Deadlift - 155 lbs
    Bench Press - 90 lbs
    Squat - 75 lbs (I was up to 90, but realized my form needed further work, so I have deloaded)
    OHP - 55 lbs (I have been stuck here for a while, sometimes I can get in 60, sometimes not)

If other lifts are progressing and ohp isn't you may need to find a way to deload down, empty oly bar at least, and work back up. Seems too low to start microloading, but that is an option.

From what I have seen, most women have lower numbers on their OHP and experience issues with getting this much higher. Not saying this should be a limit just because I am a woman, but women do tend to do considerably better on lower body than upper body. When I enter these numbers on strstd.com, it's not that far off from the rest. It's my squats that are below average.

possible this is because they start too high to begin with and stall early due to feeling like there is no option to go lower than empty oly bar. If you could drop down to like 35 and add 5 every time you might pass your stall point although this is harder to do eating a deficit which may be another reason women have trouble getting higher since a lot start out lifting on a deficit.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said. Heavy lifting is relative. What was heavy to me 2 years ago is not heavy at all to me now. Reiterating that form will help you with preventing injuries and concentrated movements with progression. When people jump into lift a weight that is TOO heavy for them and they start slinging the weight around because they are trying to use momentum to lift injuries can happen.

But don't listen to me because I still managed to pop out my AC joint in my shoulder and pop out a few ribs here and there. :huh:
  • sweetsungirl
    Options
    In my opinion, core strength is the key to avoiding injury (in addition to perfect form). You need to know how to engage your core muscles, lift with your legs, protect your lower back etc...

Here is the powerlifting program I am starting next week. It uses progressive resistance and supplemental exercises to target and strengthen the muscles needed for the strong lifts.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/PowerliftingPrograms.html

You should have a look around the site. It has gifs of almost every exercise imaginable in the exercise library. Look it through it and take what you need from it. Knowledge is POWAH! ;)
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    Really great info everyone, thanks
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    i like strstd.com for a 5/3/1 program. you put in your numbers and it give you an estimated one rep max. it give you a program based off that.

Imo this is a good program, but only if you are already strong, more intermediate in scope.

Unfortunately 5/3/1 gets a bad rap of being an intermediate program when it's really not. Jim teaches to start with light weight and be conservative in incrementing weight. He also is very focused on form and indicates that he uses it on both beginners and advanced lifters. Having used it myself for a long time; I see no reason why a beginner can't use it. The method is stupid simple once you read through his short book.

My only other suggestion was going to be for those of you working in the maximal strength range (1-5 reps / 85%-100% of 1RM), at some point get a belt to help protect your back. Don't let people try and tell you a belt is a crutch or a cheating device because it's not. Even raw (no support gear) powerlifters are allowed to use a belt for safety.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Increase slowly. Don't just jump the gun and decide you want to try the big weights. :P It all just comes slowly and naturally as your strength increases. I did not just start deadlifting heavy weights within a month or two. Focus on increasing your reps or the weight each session and make sure you've got the form down to prevent injuries.