Ladies - how do you tone your arms?

Options
Hi all! I've been decent about eating better and doing cardio, but want to start working on my arms as well. I have access to a small gym, but don't really know what to do! Ideally I'm looking for ~30 minute routine I can do a few days a week - and I don't need bulging muscles, I just want this underarm flab to toughen up a bit! Do any of you have a decent workout targeting this?

Replies

• Mel1509
    Mel1509 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'd start out with basic exercises, I did the 100 push up challenge and it made a huge difference in my arms. I would also suggest ball push ups, chair raises, arm circles...
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    swimming :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Calorie Deficit

Lift Weights

Hope that the under arm flab comes off
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    curls (different kinds, e.g. twisting curls, straight curls, hammer curls etc)
    push-ups
    dips holding the side of the bench
    skullcrushers (triceps exercise that doesn't involve getting your skull crushed unless your form is dire and you're really, really careless)

probably a few others here and there but those are the main ones that I do.

Don't be afraid of bulking up, unless you're taking anabolic steroids and eating above your TDEE calories you won't bulk up. Women don't have the hormones to bulk up, and even men can't gain a significant amount of muscle without eating more than their TDEE calories.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    The best thing for you to work on is reducing fat, via diet for the most part, and strength training, secondary.

I'd get on a good 3 or 4 day strength training plan that works your full body, because a lot of compound exercises target your arms, shoulders, and back as well as other muscles.

For example - pushups work your arms, shoulders, back, chest, and abs! Pullups work your back, shoulders, and arms! I also do bicep curls and tricep dips and things like that, the isolation exercises that 'target' the arms, but I have no fat to lose in this area, I am trying to build muscle. It sounds like you want to lose fat here first.

Get on a good plan like New Rules of Lifting for Women and stick to it for 4-6 months. You'll see vast improvement.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Biceps, triceps and dips work! Dynamic squats and lunges with weights too! Do a Body Pump class, and CXWorx one too if you can :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I'm doing pushups and pull ups.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Calorie Deficit

Lift Weights

Hope that the under arm flab comes off

^^^^^This.
  • jessalleyne
    Options
    I like Turbo Jam and Tae Bo because they give you really great cardio - but the punching moves add definition to the arms as well. I think it's really healthy to incorporate weights in your weekly routine - the muscles help boost your metabolism, add the definition you are looking for - and actually help keep you looking younger & keep the body more strong - by protecting the bones as well.

Keep up the great work!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight training only made my arms smaller and more shapely.

arms2-1.jpg

I get a tiny bit of a muscular bulge when I flex.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    If it's fat that's causing the flab, continuing to loose while strength training will solve that for you. If it's skin, moisturize, still strength train and be patient. :)

I use the cable machines at the gym. I'll do low rows, lat pull downs with varying hand positions and then I'll hit the machines and do some chest and shoulder presses. I will go as heavy as I can go where I can still complete my sets. I was doing 3 sets of 10, but I've just changed to using a slightly heavier weight with 3 sets of 5 reps.

Don't be afraid of heavy lifting. You will not get "man arms." Heck, as my observant boyfriend pointed out last night, lots of MEN don't get man arms. You have to specifically train and eat to bulk up dramatically.

PS- you should also strength train all over, not just your arms. You'll be amazed at the results. The inches are dropping for me :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Don't neglect full-body exercises for arms alone. Dead-lifts, squats, clean and press, kettle-bell swings, plank to press-up and the like will do just as much for your arms as your core and leg.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm doing pushups and pull ups.

The basics works wonders.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    By underarm flab, do you mean your tricep area? Losing weight will help with fat loss of course. Strength training for your whole body is beneficial, I wouldn't just try to work out your arms alone and ignore the rest, you will be much happier and healthier if you do more. Don't be afraid to lift weights that are as heavy as you can handle for 8-10 reps. Do several sets to ensure you really gave your muscles a good workout.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Lift weights in such a manner that they target your arms. Weights could be iron, your body, or rucksacks of sand. Doesn't matter.
  • sarahbw22
    sarahbw22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'd start out with basic exercises, I did the 100 push up challenge and it made a huge difference in my arms. I would also suggest ball push ups, chair raises, arm circles...

^^THIS!! I would also like to add that I'm doing the 150 Dips, 200 sit ups, and the 200 squats. I do all 4 of these exercises 3 times a week, as suggested. I just started Week 3 and I can see some results already! I also run/walk 4-5 times a week, so that helps with burning calories to reduce some arm fat! :)
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Pushups and various dumbbell exercises.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Reducing body fat with a calorie deficit.

Lifting heavy weights.
  • KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Options
    push up, curls, extensions, don't ask for help carrying item :)
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas.