Praise not always a good thing

Options
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.~NVP

This quote was posted this morning from a friend on MFP. So good I wanted to share with everyone that maybe looking for motivation.

Replies

• krissagray
    krissagray Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    great quote. So true.
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Neither praise nor criticism has made or broke me. But I can tell you that criticism has made the job a lot more difficult, when I knew I'd done my very best. And praise made the job just a little easier no matter how I'd done. This whole thing...fitness, nutrition, a new lifestyle, is so much about attitude and outlook that I think it merits, at the very least, thinking before you speak.

I suppose I put a negative connotation on criticism because that's what I'm so used to receiving. But I suppose constructive and loving criticism could be helpful.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    True.. but not all praise ruins and not all criticism is helpful! Praise drives a person forward, when someone is truly praising another and not giving him or her lip service. The person is energized and uplifted! You catch more fly’s with honey? Criticism, when not said properly, could wound a heart and a sole. Criticism when done constructively and with a good heart can really help a person grow.

“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” Ephesians 4:9

My love language is affirmation.... praise builds me up. If praise isn’t your thing then perhaps it’s not your love language? There are 5… you have at least 1 of them!

So BOTH can harm and BOTH can help! Just depends on what you are praising, how you are being critical, and whether or not both are constructive and done in a positive way! Heck you can even praise and have constructive criticism both in the same couple of sentences which is really effective!

“Wow, I can tell you have been working really hard towards your anger lately. I am so proud of you to recognize that this is one of your area’s you need to work on. I know today wasn’t the best day for you was it? Maybe you can focus a little more on your temper and calming down from here on out? I know your heart and I know this isn’t the person you want to be. You are an amazing person of God, now go be that!”

Inspiring, praising, and constructive. Both together are important, both empowering, and both are needed for a healthy relationship for you and others around you.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” Ephesians 4:9

My love language is affirmation.... praise builds me up. If praise isn’t your thing then perhaps it’s not your love language? There are 5… you have at least 1 of them!

The Five Love Languages, such a great tool to help us understand what we need and why maybe our partner isn't being fulfilled either. Mine used to be almost strictly physical touch, but I need to read the book again and retake the test. Since I have matured, had kids and started my journey of health, I know there is definitely a shift towards affirmation. I just talked to my husband a few nights ago about being my best cheerleader (instead of relying so much on MFP). Thanks for mentioning this. Looks like I'm heading to our bookshelf right now!!
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    True.. but not all praise ruins and not all criticism is helpful! Praise drives a person forward, when someone is truly praising another and not giving him or her lip service. The person is energized and uplifted! You catch more fly’s with honey? Criticism, when not said properly, could wound a heart and a sole.

That poor shoe!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    True.. but not all praise ruins and not all criticism is helpful! Praise drives a person forward, when someone is truly praising another and not giving him or her lip service. The person is energized and uplifted! You catch more fly’s with honey? Criticism, when not said properly, could wound a heart and a sole.

That poor shoe!

hehe
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

The Five Love Languages, such a great tool to help us understand what we need and why maybe our partner isn't being fulfilled either. Mine used to be almost strictly physical touch, but I need to read the book again and retake the test. Since I have matured, had kids and started my journey of health, I know there is definitely a shift towards affirmation. I just talked to my husband a few nights ago about being my best cheerleader (instead of relying so much on MFP). Thanks for mentioning this. Looks like I'm heading to our bookshelf right now!!

YES! Mine has changed too! It was almost all physical touch with a second on affirmation! Now, with not alot of time to have physical tough, it has moved towards affirmation, time, and then physical touch. You totally should re-take it. Great book! They have one for co-workers, teens, younger kids, and so on. Good info to know. We did one with our kids... they have changed too though so need to do it again!