Insanity or P90 x

Options
2»

Replies

• pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You really can't go wrong with either one! I have them both and they are the best investments I have made. I started with P90X, did a few full rounds and then did Insanity. Both will break you down and build you back up stronger!!

Good luck with your program.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Insanity:

Cardio based workout using interval training.
    No equipment required.
    Entire program lasts 77 days.
    If you have knee issues, it is going to be hard because there is A LOT of jumping.
    Main focus is agility and speed.
    Not a lot of variety in the exercise, very repetitive.

P90X:

Strength training with some cardio.
    You'll use dumbbells, pull-up bars and your body to create the resistance required to tone the muscles.
    Various exercises.
    Yoga X will help build flexibility and balance.
    Entire program lasts 90 days.
    Main focus is muscle confusion.

I've tried both and I prefer Insanity because of the cardio.

http://muscleathome.com/insanity-vs-p90x/

^^^THIS

I'm doing p90x at the moment, and yes I'm enjoying it, but I would enjoy it more if I had heavier weights. Yes I can do it with the bands, but I prefer the weights.

Insanity still made me strong, and really helped my cardio fitness while I was training for my half marathon
  • roduk
    roduk Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    whats your goal? for cardio and getting cut id go insanity, for a more beach body appearance go p90x, you'll lose weight also but will definitely build muscle in back shoulder and chest with p90x. P90x if you really push it and follow it to the letter its far more taxing on the body and much tougher to complete the program. P90x you need equipment, definitely get heavy dumbbells you'll need them. you wont get the most out of the program subbing with bands. with insanity you'll need just a gym mat. yoga aspect of p90x is a little repetitive. i did find with p90x by the final stage it ramped up to a level that was only just achievable. the pullup session is pretty extreme and i could do 20 deadhang pullups by that stage. my vote do both, if i had to choose 1 id do p90x. you could run p90x, and do insanity as cardio days, many do. if i had to choose which one first id go with insanity itll build u up for p90x.
  • Timarling
    Options
    Unless you already are in decent shape Insanity will be a long exercise in sitting around gasping for air while the people on TV are still going strong. I think P90x builds a very strong base if you aren't positive what your goals are or could just use sculpting everywhere. That said, after P90X I would encourage trying Insanity out. As a previous poster said it can be very repetitive so it's pretty hard to stick with as its own exercise source.

For myself, I do a hybrid of both programs having already finished a cycle. Insanity is a wonderful addition to the weight lifting. That said, I look forward to P90x days and gripe about Insanity days up until Shawn T tells me my workout is over. They are so brutal, especially if you go fast, deep and jump high.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Insanity:

Cardio based workout using interval training.
    No equipment required.
    Entire program lasts 77 days.
    If you have knee issues, it is going to be hard because there is A LOT of jumping.
    Main focus is agility and speed.
    Not a lot of variety in the exercise, very repetitive.

P90X:

Strength training with some cardio.
    You'll use dumbbells, pull-up bars and your body to create the resistance required to tone the muscles.
    Various exercises.
    Yoga X will help build flexibility and balance.
    Entire program lasts 90 days.
    Main focus is muscle confusion.

I've tried both and I prefer Insanity because of the cardio.

http://muscleathome.com/insanity-vs-p90x/

This.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest how long are the workouts for these DVD's?

The P90X workouts are about an hour, yoga is 90 min, and there is a 15 min. ab workout as well. The program is 12 DVDs. They are expensive, but like all workout items, can be found used at much reduced prices.
  • buckmeatball
    buckmeatball Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've done both and they are both awesome. I'm currently doing the strength training of p90X Monday, Wednesday,Friday and the more intense cardio(pure cardio,max interval circuit, and core cardio and balance) from Insanity Tuesday,Thursday, and Saturday. I have found for me this is the best of both worlds. If I had to suggest only ONE I'd go with P90X.