water - WHY is it important to lose weight

Options
I tend to "forget" how important it is to drink those 8 cups or more of water every day. Not diet Pepsi, coffee, Crystal Lite, etc. either.
First I go --- cannot do this, I will drown and also have to be near a bathroom all day.

I read an explanation about the water and weight loss that makes sense. If you tend to retain water (and salt) you are afraid to ADD water to the problem. But water lets your body get rid of the retained water, once you have enough. I just keep a water bottle that holds 2 cups, and refill it, and keep track all day long. Morning first thing I try to get the first 2 c. down( with coffee of course and then breakfast. Also I read somewhere that you lose 30% more weight drinking all the water you should than eating the exact same foods without enough water! wow.

Odd thing that happens to me is that I get to be thirsty for water the longer I drink that much every day. How weird is that. And I really don't go to the toilet that much more, either. Maybe it is because it is summer?

Replies

• grimsin
    grimsin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I went from drinking no straight water (just soda/coffee/juice/ect...) to drinking nothing but water, now I am up to 130 to 180 ounces a day average, never under a gallon. I only crave water now, and it amazes me how much I can put down after a short time of exclusive water drinking. at first I had to use the restroom all the time but now it is back to normal on a regular type schedule.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Water is over rated and is mostly a myth. We don't need that much. But, y'all carry on. I'm sure I'll be bashed for saying that.
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    I didn't like the idea of drinking water...period. I hate the taste/smell of water. Every since I've was pregnant I smell things I never use to notice. So I just started mixing a little bit of lime juice with my water. It tastes so much better. Some days I don't get the 8 cups, but I get darn close. For someone you NEVER drank water before, that is a feat. I do find that it makes me have to go to the bathroom more often. But you are right, it does make you want more water. If I want to snack, I start sipping my water.
  • jessalleyne
    Options
    Unfortunately, water isn't a myth - it is important for your body & your organs to work the way that they should. I add a little lemon to my water - either from a lemon or the lemon juice. Just a little - so that there is a bit of something to it. If you aren't peeing more then you might want to add some - to be sure you aren't dehydrated over the summer. Try the color test - your pee shouldn't be dark. The lighter the color the more hydrated you are. Of course, vitamins tend to make it a brighter color :).
  • mau5chan
    Options
    Here's hoping squash counts as water, since it's only water with added flavouring. Plain water makes me gag, and that's not a joke.
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I was retaining alot of water last week and could feel. So I drank tons and tons of water and it did help. I keep a cup that holds two cups filled with water. Once it is empty, then I fill it back up. Water is about all I drink. Sometimes in the morning I will have a V8 or at lunch I will have some green tea, but most of what I drink is water. I have days where I have to run to the bathroom more than others, but I am also on a diuretic. I feel so much better if I get my daily intake of water.
  • kidcole11
    kidcole11 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm just really excited to be drinking the water I should because I know it is making my body function properly and keeping kidney stones farther away!
  • sandyjeffery
    Options
    I used to never drink water either. I only drank sodas, tea, juice, etc... Now I drink water all day long. I have a Berkey Water Filter that cleans out all inpurities from the faucet water and it is the best tasting water I have ever drank. So pure and clean. If you do not like the taste or smell of water, try getting one of these and all taste and smell will disappear.
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Try the color test - your pee shouldn't be dark. The lighter the color the more hydrated you are. Of course, vitamins tend to make it a brighter color :).

Some meds can make it darker as well.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, water isn't a myth - it is important for your body & your organs to work the way that they should. I add a little lemon to my water - either from a lemon or the lemon juice. Just a little - so that there is a bit of something to it. If you aren't peeing more then you might want to add some - to be sure you aren't dehydrated over the summer. Try the color test - your pee shouldn't be dark. The lighter the color the more hydrated you are. Of course, vitamins tend to make it a brighter color :).

Nope. It's a pretty well known fact that the 8 glasses of water a day is bunk. It's way too much and a lot of people are over hydrating.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    Water is good for you.

A lot of the time when you are hungry, you are really actually thirsty. If you get those hunger feelings, try drinking a glass of water and waiting a few minutes. Most of the time the hunger will pass.

I usually get in 15-20 glasses a day. Love the stuff ;)
  • esjaygee
    esjaygee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Water is over rated and is mostly a myth. We don't need that much. But, y'all carry on. I'm sure I'll be bashed for saying that.

I wouldn't say water is over-rated but I think people can easily satisfy the mythical recommended 64 oz of water without having a single glass of water. Coffee and other beverages are close to 99% water and many fruits and vegetables are 85-90% water. I tend to drink water when I'm thirsty or working out so some days I'll drink 10 cups of water and other days I might have one or two.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well I don't thionk the old 8 glasses thing is going to be right for everybody, but I find that I get really sluggish and tetchy when I don't drink enough water.

I'm very good during the week - at work I keep a water bottle on my desk and top it up twice a day. But at weekends I notice I drink less water, and I've found myself feeling a bit sluggish and meh when I haven't had enough. I'm trying to remember to carry a bottle of water with me at weekends.
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    When I started I had to do flavored water.. I know it wasn't the same, but plain water gagged me, and I'd get sick. Now, about 4 months later, I don't drink anything but. And flavored water is too sweet for me :)
  • esjaygee
    esjaygee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I tend to "forget" how important it is to drink those 8 cups or more of water every day. Not diet Pepsi, coffee, Crystal Lite, etc. either.

i understand Pepsi, but Crystal Lite and coffee are excellent sources of water and are low in calories. Coffee is an excellent source of antioxidants as well. The bad rap on coffee was that it was viewed as a diuretic which is not at all the case.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Most of my water comes from my food. Although I do drink more water on higher sodium days, days after heavy lifting (to help with DOMS) and during my workouts.
  • sumiko1978
    sumiko1978 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Does tea count when calculating how much water is needed? I drink about 3-4 cup of tea a day, various types of tea with no sweetener. I drink plain water too
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Water is wonderful. If you choose to ignore the advice to drink more water, then you're putting your body at a severe disadvantage. I just don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to do everything they can to truly get fit and lose weight.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Water is essential and I think most of us can agree on that, however I agree that the 8 glasses of 'pure' water is a myth. Our bodies are smart enough to let us know when we require water or fluids, it's called thirst. 
     I also think coffee, tea, juice etc can all account for 'water' the only diff from weight loss is how much calories they contain vs water. 

Just listen to your body, if  your thirsty drink something if not then stop forcing yourself. 
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options

Yea, not like most of our body is made up of it or anything.