found a solution to my ice cream fix...

Options
nibbynoo
nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
...and omg is it good.

I bought an ice cream machine for £11 in the Argos sale and have been making ice cream using low fat/natural yoghurt's, a splash of skimmed milk, agave nectar (as things taste less sweet as you freeze them) and some xanthan powder for stabilising the mix (you can buy it in tesco, it stops large ice crystals from forming and makes the ice cream smoother)

it is AMAZING. I can now make sorbet's and other things as well, you can even make your smoothies and juices into frozen goodness! MMMM!

If any of you have recipes please post!

Thanks,

Replies

• MrsFairycake
    MrsFairycake Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Can't help with recipes I'm afraid - my only recipe is for Pina Colada ice-cream and is horribley calorific (Malibu, pineapple juice, cream) although equally gorgeous! - but if you mush up bananas or strawberries and freeze them, they come out with a very ice-creamy texture. Not perfect, but good enough for a quick low-cal fix.
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of purchasing an ice cream machine...my kids always want ice cream and it would be a healthier way to eat it.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    We make these in a Ninja smoothie machine but you could put it in an ice cream machine to finish freezing it.

skim milk, 2 cups of frozen strawberries and very ripe bananas, a bit of fresh pineapple, 1 packet of 25 calorie Swiss Miss sugar free cocoa mix and 3/4 cup plain, sugar free greek yogurt.

It tastes just like a banana split! We even top it with a squirt of Chocolate Redi Whip (only 20 more cals)
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It really is a great gadget. I feel like I've had a completely sinful treat and in a lot of cases it's really just over 100cals per serving!!

i did make an amazing batch out of cherry yoghurt with dark chocolate chips in. O.M.G. it was amazing!
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I thought you were going to say that you started eating smaller amounts
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Oooo!!.. I'm putting those things on my list of 'needs' .. LOL!
  • Lalu7
    Lalu7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting - I've been googling ice-cream recipes using low fat yoghurt with no real success. Shall try this this weekend!