Getting bored with routine ..

Options
Does anyone else find themselves getting bored with their current routine?
I started exactly 50 days ago and promised myself if I could walk/jog in the mornings at least 3-4 times a week for the entire summer, I'd invest in a gym membership in Sept. (I can only workout in the mornings)

Well Im nearing the home stretch and I just dont feel Im putting in as much effort as I did back at the beginning of July.

How often do you "change it up"? Im losing motivation in the mornings but I only have 2 more weeks to go!!

Replies

• mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure how often I change things up, but I'm sure some people on here are smarter about sticking with a program for so many months to know what's working for you and what isn't. I was doing one program since January, and just changed it back in July....but it's still olympic powerlifting moves, but different routine.

If you are bored with the morning walk, try evening walks, walks with friends or a pet (you could borrow someone's dog HAHA), or try and beat your previous time....last week completed in 40 minutes, now want to get to 38 minutes, and just make challenges for yourself. What's important is changing it before you become bored and start skipping it totally.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    What's important is changing it before you become bored and start skipping it totally.

I agree, I am aiming to try new things. I wasnt confident enough before (hence the outside walking/jogging alone)
    In 2 weeks I hope to change that lol
  • PattieCakes23
    Options
    I'm worried I'll get this way when I start Insanity today. I know it's not the same thing every day, but I'm gonna trying and make it interesting somehow. I'm not sure yet.

But, yes, I do get VERY bored doing the same thing. I have to switch it up.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm always changing things up.....I leave myself a lot of options.

If it's a cardio night I can -
    Treadmill, elliptical ect at the gym
    walk/run/ hike/ stair climb outside (Swallow Cliff Stairs google if you are in the Chicago area!!! hardest workout ever!)
    any of the many DVD's I have at home
    circuits of calisthenics at home (jumping jacks, high knees, burpees, squats, lunges ect.)

On strength training nights -
    utilize the gym
    work out at home with weights, kettle bells, calisthenics

I also have quite a few yoga DVD's at home and occasionally go to a really nice yoga studio by my house

I like to keep it interesting and fresh!!!!
  • bblich02
    bblich02 Posts: 57
    Options
    Does anyone else find themselves getting bored with their current routine?
    I started exactly 50 days ago and promised myself if I could walk/jog in the mornings at least 3-4 times a week for the entire summer, I'd invest in a gym membership in Sept. (I can only workout in the mornings)

Well Im nearing the home stretch and I just dont feel Im putting in as much effort as I did back at the beginning of July.

How often do you "change it up"? Im losing motivation in the mornings but I only have 2 more weeks to go!!

Awesome job so far!! If you have a treadmill: change up the incline every few minutes and alternate between walking/jogging. if walking outside, try a new path. Find a local hiking place or go bike riding if its possible. Have you tried incorporating weights?
  • ewhitehurst1
    Options
    I think when you join the gym in September that will help a lot. I tried doing workout videos in the beginning and I was so bored. Since I joined the gym 2 months ago I am enjoying working out again. I mix up Zumba, cycle, personal training, elliptical, treadmill and swimming. You just have to find whats FUN for you. Some people enjoy hiking or biking.
  • SunnyLynnie
    SunnyLynnie Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I change it up EVERY DAY, because I get bored and demotivated very easily. What I have done is ripped out or photocopied every workout I have ever read in Prevention and Fitness magazines, and put them in a file folder. When it's time to work out, I take the workout from the top and do it, then put it under the pile. That way I rotate the workouts and it never gets boring. I also have 6 or 7 DVDs that I rotate, from Pilates to aerobics to yoga.
  • StevenDweeb
    StevenDweeb Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Then don't have a 'routine' :)
    Doing the same thing just gets boring over time. Mix it up and be sure to change your outside environment for whatever walk/jog/hike/climb/swim you might be doing out there in the open air.
    Browse Youtube for 1000's of different free routines you can jump around to in front of your computer...
    If you have stairs in your house, leave a fairly heavy weight nearby and walk it up/down when you are using the stairs.
    Make sure to incorporate some sort of strength training into your current program. This could be as simple as using a weighted backpack while walking around the house/yard etc depending on your fitness level