Foot problems from exercise

Options
Hey all..

After taking a kickboxing class a while ago, I experienced some intense pain in the arch of my left foot that radiated to the heel. In speaking with a couple of friends and doing some research online, it is clear that I have plantar fasciitis. The pain occurs mainly in the morning when I first wake up and as I take my first several steps of the day.

Have any of you experienced plantar fasciitis? If so, what was your experience like and how did you treat it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis, but my experience might be a bit unique.

First, I "managed" it for a long time with the stretches I found online (i.e. writing the alphabet with my toes), icing, wearing good shoes ALL THE TIME, and rest. It got less painful with all of this, but never completely healed. I couldn't go barefoot at all, and was usually in pain and needing to sit and rest my poor foot by the end of the day.
    I also have arthritis in one of my feet. I kept spraining my foot from the arthritis, so I was finally referred to a podiatrist.
    She recommended custom orthotics. Within two weeks of wearing them, the plantar fasciitis has healed (I can walk barefoot now) and my arthritis is soooo much better.
    If you are not receiving results from the basic treatments recommended online (stretches, ice, good shoes all the time) then I would suggest going to a podiatrist to see what they say.
  • rodneyhakes
    Options
    Thanks for the good advice!
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. I have it pretty bad myself, and have been struggling with it for 10 months now. It is much better than it was, and if I knew then what I knew now, it would probably be healed. It's a very stubborn thing.

Here are the things that work:
    1)Get plantar fascitis orthotic inserts for your shoes and wear your shoes everywhere you walk.
    2)Ice it
    3)Rest it. Don't walk or run unless it's necessary. Every time I do these things for exercise I have a relapse. I do other things for cardio
    4)A boot made for this condition to be worn when you sleep is especially helpful if your morning pain is really bad.
    5)Stretch your foot and move it around for a bit before you get out of bed.

I've heard of people having this condition for anywhere from 6 months to 18 months. I'm hoping mine is over soon and I get smart enough to stop aggravating it.
  • kg2run
    kg2run Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm currently managing with wearing good shoes and stretching before getting out of bed. If I notice it getting worse, I'll dial back a work out or two and that has helped me for the moment.
  • rodneyhakes
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and I hope yours is gone soon!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The best thing I did was use a night splint to keep the facia stretched out overnight. I got mine at CVS for about $30. Also helpful was rolling the foot hard on a golfball and a frozen ice bottle. If you start aggressive treatment early you can heal it pretty quickly. The longer you wait the longer it takes to heal.

Mine took about a month before it was not too painful and another six weeks until the residual pain was entirely gone.