A calorie is not a calorie

Options

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

"A calorie is a calorie" developed as a response to the belief that, for example, if I had 300 calories left for the day, that a cookie would some be more lipogenic than cottage cheese.

To which the standard response is: "You can't just eat cookies all day."

At which point, I facepalm and bow out.

^ Agreed, only I'm not smart enough to bow out.

I'd shift the argument here. Is the cookie going to make you fat? no.

Are there MUCH better choices to be made there , that on average and over time would have a significantly positive impact on your health vs. that cookie's likely negative impact? Yes.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

"A calorie is a calorie" developed as a response to the belief that, for example, if I had 300 calories left for the day, that a cookie would some be more lipogenic than cottage cheese.

I'm not either. I guess that's why I'm on "banned row" from these forums. =)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Are there MUCH better choices to be made there , that on average and over time would have a significantly positive impact on your health vs. that cookies likely negative impact? Yes.

That depends on context and whether or not the individual is able to reach nutrient sufficiency (micro and macro) before the cookie. In some cases, you're correct.

But I don't believe there's evidence that the inclusion of a portion of discretional calories, to a diet that is nutrient sufficient, is in any way detrimental or even inferior to one that replaces those cookies with something else.
  • joejccva71
    Options

Are there MUCH better choices to be made there , that on average and over time would have a significantly positive impact on your health vs. that cookie's likely negative impact? Yes.

But again, we're talking in terms of FAT LOSS. And to be quite honest, being healthy is subjective. You can still eat vegetables instead of a cookie and be unhealthy. Healthy is a broad word involving exercise plans, total diet, genetics, whether or not you smoke, etc etc. Lots of factors here.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, the relationship between a pound of muscle and a pound of fat is still the same, right?
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Just to be clear, the relationship between a pound of muscle and a pound of fat is still the same, right?

Wizardry
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

But again, we're talking in terms of FAT LOSS.

^ And that's also a great point, in which case it wouldn't matter to any significance.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

If you have any evidence that that a 100% "clean" diet improves health markers over an otherwise healthy diet that contains moderate amounts of junk food, I'd like to see it.

Edit: Sidesteal said the same thing, lol
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a thread about the difference between calories and Calories. I was so ready to get my chemistry on with some nerds.

1245227615_colin_farrel.gif
  • zgochenour
    zgochenour Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Great link, thanks for sharing. I'll note that the difference in REE is pretty small all things considered, but definitely a significant result.

I wonder if a larger study would reveal a useful pattern in the leptin data. That would make sense from what I understand about leptin. Overweight people have high leptin and low leptin sensitivity. After dieting, they have low leptin and low leptin sensitivity. higher fat diet increases leptin signalling. But, I don't have a deep understanding of this.
  • Long_and_Lean
    Long_and_Lean Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a thread about the difference between calories and Calories. I was so ready to get my chemistry on with some nerds.

Sorry to disappoint. This thread appears to be filled with rational, intelligent human beings for a change.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Sorry to disappoint. This thread appears to be filled with rational, intelligent human beings for a change.

Give it time...just give it time.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Lol! Its a miracle
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Wait for it.........
  • Long_and_Lean
    Options

Well, we could talk about how a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat, as you suggested. That's probably why Suzie Shmoozie is up 2lbs this week, because she's been putting on muscle. Not because she's been pounding 3000 calories of twinkies every day.

*ducks for cover*
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Well, we could talk about how a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat, as you suggested. That's probably why Suzie Shmoozie is up 2lbs this week, because she's been putting on muscle. Not because she's been pounding 3000 calories of twinkies every day.

*ducks for cover*

Lmao ooh you're bad
  • Long_and_Lean
    Options
    I mean, so long as shes burning 3294018340731984713094701 calories doing 60 minutes of zumba every day, it's ok, right?

....I need to stop. :explode:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I mean, so long as shes burning 3294018340731984713094701 calories doing 60 minutes of zumba every day, it's ok, right?

...or walking her cat...

...or doing light housecleaning...
  • Long_and_Lean
    Options

...or walking her cat...

...or doing light housecleaning...

You mean I can count all that?? And the numbers are totally, 100% accurate? Man, I've been doing this MFP thing all wrong...
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    CONCLUSION:

Among overweight and obese young adults compared with pre-weight-loss energy expenditure, isocaloric feeding following 10% to 15% weight loss resulted in decreases in [Resting Energy Expenditure] and [Total Energy Expenditure] that were greatest with the low-fat diet, intermediate with the low-glycemic index diet, and least with the very low-carbohydrate diet.

I read an anti-low carb guy who said that this is misleading because the low-carb diet results in water loss, so the specific energy expenditures are artificially inflated due to the lower water weight.

That's a good point (considering carbohydrates replenish your glycogen stores in muscles, which retains water), if they were using weight as an outcome measure . However, what they're looking at is total energy expenditure, which is a function of body composition.

They're looking at total energy expenditure per pound of body weight. Reducing water weight reduces the denominator of that equation, artificially inflating the TEE.

But I'm vaguely remembering an off-hand comment I read a month or so ago in an interview of some old doctor referred to as the "father of weight loss." I wish I could find that article, but so far no luck!

I think this is the article you're looking for. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/health/nutrition/q-and-a-are-high-protein-low-carb-diets-effective.html He makes some good general points, but I get the feeling he didn't read the study very closely. The folks who ran the study used doubly labeled water & accounted for the water effect he was referring to.

Dr. Ludwig's response to Hirsch's comments: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/17/science/diet-study-authors-reply-1-letter.html