Anyone get chocolate cravings when you try to quit smoking?

Options
I am going to jog an extra 20 minutes to fit in a Butterfinger bar. I have to do it.

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I guess it's just me. :ohwell:
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I am not a smoker, but I have chocolate cravings despite this! Does that count?? :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I am not a smoker, but I have chocolate cravings despite this! Does that count?? :bigsmile:

Yes, I'll count it so that I feel a little better. :flowerforyou:
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, nicotine, sex, and opiates all trigger the same pleasure receptors in your brain. Perfectly normal, and you are not alone.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    The biggest craving I fought off when I quit was smashing someone in the face. Once I got past that it was easy. I've heard of people having pretty specific cravings when the stop though.
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, nicotine, sex, and opiates all trigger the same pleasure receptors in your brain. Perfectly normal, and you are not alone.

This !
  • irvinedbs
    Options
    I get SERIOUS chocolate cravings when I'm trying to give up smoking. After many years of driving myself and my loved ones mental with the whole on them off them thing, I've decided to try the electronic cigarettes instead. I'm a few days in and actually loving it! Not getting the chocy cravings as much! Good luck with the quitting!

:bigsmile: x D
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^This

And now I crave sweets like crazy although I quit smoking over a year ago... but exercise helps cut both cravings. :)
    Oh and try chocolate milk... it helps alot.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    The biggest craving I fought off when I quit was smashing someone in the face. Once I got past that it was easy. I've heard of people having pretty specific cravings when the stop though.

Thanks. This one made me laugh. I gave into my chocolate craving, plus had a blueberry muffin. So I feel really calm right now. :laugh:
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I had cravings for chocolate AND sex AND smashing someone in the face. But the chocolate cravings were by far the strongest. I wanted chocolate more than I wanted a cigarette!

Working out to fit in the chocolate indulgance is a perfect solution IMO. I did the same thing, and the cravings (all of them) eventually abated.

That is until TOM at least ;)
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    Do or do not. There is no try.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Do or do not. There is no try.

*sigh*

You're right. I guess I am just hoping that I *do* rather than *do not* because I was just kinda forced into quitting instead of planning it.

I just want to be sure that I am not lying to myself and giving myself an excuse to eat like crap. Today is the worst food I've had since the first day I started logging.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I had cravings for chocolate AND sex AND smashing someone in the face. But the chocolate cravings were by far the strongest. I wanted chocolate more than I wanted a cigarette!

Working out to fit in the chocolate indulgance is a perfect solution IMO. I did the same thing, and the cravings (all of them) eventually abated.

That is until TOM at least ;)

TOM is when I want to smash someone in the face. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I think I am going to have to drop my kids off somewhere, anywhere, this evening. Alone time with my husband sounds like a wonderful plan too. :bigsmile:
  • jcolier
    jcolier Posts: 64
    Options
    yeah, right? big cravings. I tried to eat beef jerky when I quit, I went through so many bags of that stuff I just about puked.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options

is it bad that this really makes me want to try some opiates? I mean, sounds like they keep really good company since i am a big fan of the other three things on that list...

to the OP, i craved sugar in general for a while after i quit (which was 28 days, 5 hours, 50 minutes and 36 seconds ago in case anyone was wondering) i was careful not to buy a cookie every time i had a craving and my inner cookie monster seems to be getting quieter and telling me to get cookies less frequently. i also treated these cravings with oranges instead of chocolate chips.
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    Your impulse to exercise is a good one.

I never craved anything but smokes when I quit (each time). Instead, I had such lovely side effects as uncontrolled shaking, chills, and difficulty breathing (panic attacks). And I've never been anything but a very light smoker. Then, there was the 20 lbs I gained in two months even though I was extremely careful not to eat any more than I did before I quit. Quitting will absolutely DESTROY your metabolism.

However, there is one thing on this earth that CAN help control quitting side effects, and that's exercise. My advice is to exercise, exercise, and exercise some more.

Then, when you think you can go no further, add one more exercise routine.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am going to jog an extra 20 minutes to fit in a Butterfinger bar. I have to do it.

I like your style! Burn it to earn it!
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I craved beer when I quit smoking. So, I drank a lot of beer...hence why I ended up on this web site. Lots of empty calories!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Beer makes me crave cigarettes, so I will have to avoid it as well.

But exercise, yeah, I can do that. I do have my e-cig as a back up for bad nicotine cravings. So far so good.

Thanks for responding, everyone!