Muscle Cramps

Options
I thought I would see if I'm the only one with this.

I get muscle cramps all over my body (not at the same time). It's different from a charley horse in that I can control the cramp intensity by lengthing and shortening the muscle (so if it is in my calf, I lean forward on my foot or bend my knee). Generally it happens in my right foot and my toes curl up (but only two of them) or in my calves or right across my ribs or in my throat, near my jaw.

They aren't particularly painful if I control the cramp the day of, but it takes a lot of effort to get the muscle back to its normal length. My most recent episode (Thursday last week) still hasn't gone back to normal, even after a manual massage session.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• loritas
    Options
    This use to happen to me quite a bit. My personal trainer said that cramps happen because the body is not hydrated enough. I increased my water intake and it doesn't happen anymore. :smile:

Hope this helps.
  • Desiderata
    Options
    completley natural, just drink more water :)

288747.png
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I would monitor my sodium/potassium/calcium levels if I were you. All are necessary for controlling muscle contractions.
  • lisa1k1
    lisa1k1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Prevention is key by being properly conditioned, stretching regularly, and maintaining adequate nutrition and hydration (including electrolytes). However, if you do get cramps, you can ingest mustard or 2 ounces of pickle juice (it's said vinegar is the common ingredient that helps in both of these). Google mustard for cramps. Many of my cyclist friends use it and swear by it.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I find that if i add potassium to my diet, it eliminates the cramps. I eat a banana each day soley for this purpose.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I would monitor my sodium/potassium/calcium levels if I were you. All are necessary for controlling muscle contractions.

I second this. You can monitor it in your food diary. I used to have the same problem, and it turned out that I was getting little to no potassium, and not enough calcium because of the crappy food I was eating, and getting way too much sodium. I have a much more balanced diet now, and all that cramping is gone.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I find that if i add potassium to my diet, it eliminates the cramps. I eat a banana each day soley for this purpose.

When you look at the amount of potassium that is recommended, it will blow your mind. One banana is great, but it isn't going to do it along. I've found that I need lots of fresh veggies in order to hit my potassium goals for the day.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep, what everyone else said, minerals are key to cramping. And drinking water helps too.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options

When you look at the amount of potassium that is recommended, it will blow your mind. One banana is great, but it isn't going to do it along. I've found that I need lots of fresh veggies in order to hit my potassium goals for the day.

Is it really 3500mg's? I just changed my diary to show it (though temporary, because it's more important for me to monitor my iron and calcium). That's a hell of a lot. 10 bananas worth! :flowerforyou:
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info - i figured it was probably a mineral/electrolyte thing. I drink plenty of water throughout the day. I think I'll go get the levels checked. I knew potassium affected it, but I eat plenty of potassium rich foods so maybe it's more sodium/calcium.

I knew you guys would help. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • 463home
    Options
    HI,
    I wanted to share a couple of things with you that you might find of great interest. I started reading this book, "Eat Right 4 your type", and I went to a naturepathic doctor and master herblist who shared with me the importance of food combinations as well as knowing the types of food I should eat to heal my body. Knowing my blood type helps me to understand why I would feel ill after eating certain foods, when I really should not be eating them. I was having muscle cramps so bad in my legs, hands and back that I was having trouble trying to cut tomoatoes with a knife, not to mention trying to exercise without cramping. After changing my diet I noticed I was not cramping anymore and I'm not hungry!!!! About Potassuim, everybody says Banana's but Prunes are higher in Potasuim. Also I'm an A blood type and Banana's are one fruit I should not eat.

If you are interested you can check out this web site! http://www.dadamo.com/resultbase/resultbase.cgi
    Go to the tab at the top named about the diets to see about your blood type. They also have a great recipe section.
    Keep in mind the book does not mention doing food combination but it is important for digestion.

The Master Herbalist explained the importance of Food Combination, such as eating fruit only on a empty stomach and never eat a starch with protein. One thing for sure this can not hurt you it is healthy food intake
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

The Master Herbalist explained the importance of Food Combination, such as eating fruit only on a empty stomach and never eat a starch with protein. One thing for sure this can not hurt you it is healthy food intake

can you explain a little further, giving some biological reasoning for this? I find the last statement particularly interesting as depending on the starch, every physiology book I've read (and I've read quite a few) talks about having glucose with your protein in order to prevent protein from being used as energy instead of a building block. I'd be open to hearing the reasoning though as I've never heard this one before.