Cravings after eating...

Options
I always have craving after lunch or dinner and its always for something sweet. Is this normal or is this a mental thing?

Replies

• jodiegauv91
    Options
    Both! I'm sure many people here get the same craving - I know I do!
    Remember it's alright to treat to something sweet sometimes when you really feel like it :)
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I've been like, REALLY good at making excellent choices, I want to completely fall off the wagon and eat something completely ridiculous. Today after my black bean soup and raw carrots for lunch, I wanted to eat a monstrous plate of melted cheese (WTF).

But usually it goes like this - after I eat a very indulgent treat, like a DQ treat, piece of cake, etc - I want a big bite or two of something healthy, like steamed spinach. OR it goes the other way. After a healthy meal, sometimes I want to just eat a massive brownie.
  • ShannonMichelle1985
    Options
    I buy me sweet 100calorie snacks or Skinny Cow ice cream is real good. Also sweet freedom ice cream is good too. Only have any were from 100-150 calories. Not to bad and it fixes to sweet craving. :o)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I always crave AND always eat something sweet and something salty after a main meal! :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's mental/a habit. When watching calories, I'd have a piece of hard candy or chew some gum. Normally that's enough to meet my brain's requirements (even though I'd rather have chocolate lava cake topped with ice cream).
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I agree in that its probably both. I am the same way, but I have been doing that for so many years its probably just part of my mental routine.
  • Bluebox32
    Bluebox32 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree in that its probably both. I am the same way, but I have been doing that for so many years its probably just part of my mental routine.

I have always had this craving, maybe it is a habit...I have never thought of it that way.
  • Tracepa98
    Tracepa98 Posts: 219
    Options
    I'm the same way...will always have a sweet tooth. But Ive found a solution some of the time. I love grapes and Ive found that if I put them in the freezer, they satisfy my cold and sweet craving.
  • 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I actually read that it is from a lack of "something" in your diet.. I wish I remember what that "something" was danggit :/ I was taking a liquid supplement for a while that was 100% fruit and plant based and I no longer had that strong craving so I believe it has some truth. I sometimes still wanted it - but I wasn't about to take out old people and small children to get to it like I was before. I am no longer taking that supplement so now I just take my regular daily supplements before I eat my lunch and that seems to help. I also drink an Emergen-C if I still feel like I want to shove an entire chocolate cake in my face and that seems to help too. BUT, 9 times out of 10, I eat a small piece of dark chocolate and account for the calories as part of my meal. It also brings closure to the meal and tells my brain to chill out dude, we are done eating.
  • livelivefree
    livelivefree Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i have only realized that i have this... also i found that if i wait it out, it will take about half an hour, the cravings are gone and i feel good about myself for having withstood temptation.
    try it out ;)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It's worth considering if it's causef by *what* you are eating (or not eating). Does it happen *every* time or just after certain meals?
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I never used to eat anything sweet after a meal when I was younger. Then I dated a guy for a while that ALWAYS had to have something sweet after a meal - ice cream, usually. It became a habit for me...one that I STILL struggle with and it's been since 1997!!!!

Thefore, for me, it's really a habit. I just grabbed 2 packs of gum to try to combat this phenomenon.

By the way - anyone out there have a hard time working out while chewing gum? I can't breate right and get so much more tired! LOL
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I eat at those meals. If I eat something with tomato sauce I crave a sweet. When I crave a sweet I eat something, frozen fat free fudge bar usually.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Crap
    now I want a brownie.:grumble: :grumble:
  • Amabuela
    Amabuela Posts: 24
    Options
    I completely relate. I wonder if it's that "yin and yang" thing where we want the opposite of what we just had. Here's a weird suggestion that usually works for me: suck on a menthol cough drop. It has just enough sweet, and the menthol gives you that "brushed my teeth" feeling so you don't want to keep eating.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I think mine is mental or hormonal. I always end up with something sweet after lunch and dinner. Even if its just a mint.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    this started when i was in college. i don't even really like chocolate that much, but i always crave it after a meal! what i do is buy a bag of hershey kisses and eat one after dinner. it's like, 20 some calories and satisfies my craving :)
  • mournemaid
    mournemaid Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been taking a chromium supplement which has really helped the cravings
  • cookadook
    Options
    if you are craving sweets, you should talk to your doctor about taking Chromium Picolinate (I think I spelled that right). It kind of tricks your body into thinking its sugar so that you won't crave sugar...Used with diabetics a lot and its in some of the diet supplements out there. I have a CP pill that i take before dinner as that is my heaviest craving time of day. Good luck.
  • ewhitehurst1
    Options
    I must have chocolate after certain meals, but usually one hershey kiss or a fiber one brownie will do the trick. Sometimes I just don't feel full until I've had that tiny bit of chocolate. I just don't get it!!