Fish for beginners :)

Options
sds76
sds76 Posts: 215 Member
We are not fish eaters. Growing up the only fish I ever had was fish sticks. So as an adult I've just never really served fish. I've had cod or halibut at restaraunts but always breaded and fried.
I want to try to introduce some fish to see if the family and I would like it, but don't know where to start. I have a family of 7 so something that isn't too pricey, something more mild in taste and not shellfish(DH is allergic).
What would you suggest? Please feel free to share recipes on how to prepare it as well. Kid appoved= even better :)
Thanks in advance

Replies

• SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is awesome and easy to cook and does not have a strong fishy taste.
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you like italian food try the better homes and gardens version of Tilapia Puttanesca. It's not fishy and even my 3 yr old will eat it. For a family of 7 just double the recipe
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    As the above poster stated..tilapia is a great "starter" fish.
    I usually pan sear mine with a little chili powder, but you can bake it too with some garlic and lemon. Either way, I think you'll like it. Good luck!
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Talapia is a good one. Nice and light tasting, and easy to cook.

I like filets with just some salt, pepper, whatever herb, and some lemon juice/slices on top. I fold it up in parchment paper and bake it.

I don't know if your kids would balk at that - there's always shake-n-bake methods, too!
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yes, I vote for tilapia too! I just drizzle with lemon and lemon pepper.
    We have also enjoyed smearing a mixture of mayo, Italian breadcrumbs, and Parmesan on top before baking.
    We are trying to work in more fish too!
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes.....and in a pinch on busy days , the Gortons grilled fish filets are very yummy. Might be a little costly for the whole family, but would be yummy in a soft tortilla fish taco, I think! That might be a fun way to introduce the concept to the kids?
  • H33BO
    H33BO Posts: 1
    Options
    not very adventurous but I love boil in the bag fish. 4 1/2 mns in the microwave fish in parsley sauce only 102 calories. taste great and not too fishy
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Just watch your source for tilapia--the farmed fish from China isn't really raised under ideal conditions...

I usually buy cod or haddock... My favorite way to cook it for my family (which includes a 12-year-old son) is to grill it... I put it on foil, squeeze a little lemon juice over the top, and sprinkle liberally with paprika.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat fish (willingly) until I was 20 years old, my parents did everything they could to sneak it into dishes (think fish spaghetti, gross) but I soon found out I absolutely LOVE rainbow trout. It's like salmon but I find it a bit milder and really good grilled with some greek spices.
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    if you've got kids...you can always do Dishwasher Salmon or Tilapia

http://www.food.com/recipe/Dishwasher-Salmon-18810
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I think a good white fish is a great place to start.. ask someone at the meat counter to recommend what they have with the most mild flavor. Are you near a Costco? They always have something mild in the frozen section. You can try Cod or Hake frozen fillets. Thaw them and follow the directions on package to grill or bake. Putting them in a taco is a great way to start. Corn tortilla, shredded cabbage (a bag of coleslaw mix), or lettuce if you prefer... then buy or make a mango or pineapple salsa! Yum!
  • yogini_runner
    Options
    tilapia or marinated salmon
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much an anti fish kinda gal but I like COD. Tilapia and flounder are ok but sometimes mushy (frozen). Haven't found a salmon that tastes good to me. MahiMahi is ok if cooked right (not by me!)

I love shell fish...my standby is spraying pan with pam, lay out the cod (shrimp or scallops if I have it), 1/2 cup parmesan 1/2 tube reduced fat ritz mixed and crumbled put in on top and bake. sprinkle after it's cooked with 2% or fat free shredded cheddar - we call it seafood bake..
  • tara_seay
    tara_seay Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is my favorite... you might want to check this thread.. i think any of these recipes could be substituted for any of the fish you might want to cook:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/704248-any-good-tilapia-recipes
  • Wthompson1215
    Wthompson1215 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like salmon. Try some marinade to give fish a different flavor. I use the ones with lime on lemon added they taste really good, and are low in calories!!!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    My opinion: Tilapia and especially salmon are stronger in flavor. Mild, white fish is a good way to get used to the texture of fish.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Depending on what way you want to cook the fish will better tell us what to suggest...as mentioned Tilapia is a fantastic fish, best broiled, baked or sauteed
    Salmon is a bit fishier tasting but has a fantastic flavor.
    Catfish Fillets are light and flaky...really good broiled with cajun seasoning on it.
    Cod and Perch can be a bit more fishy as with Snapper.
    My favorite is Monk Fish- tastes like lobster...as a matter of fact it's called the Poor Mans Lobster.
    Good luck with what ever you decide for the family.
  • MegdKel
    MegdKel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I eat Tilapia on a fairly regular basis, it's probably the least 'fishy' fish I've ever had (I do *not* like fish either, lol). There is a recipe that I've been wanting to make lately that a friend made for me years ago. I don't have the recipe anymore, but here is what I can remember

Tilapia with Pineapple Salsa

Tilapia, marinated for a short amount of time in soy sauce, then grilled.
    Crushed pineapple, small diced red pepper, small diced shallot all heated together on stove top, mix in cilantro after heated through and serve over tilapia.

It was delicious!
  • onefournine
    Options
    My favorite fish meal is a fresh salmon filet seasoned with MacCormick Montreal Chicken Seasoning (garlic, herbs and orange citrus taste) then coated with a tablespoon of Sweet Baby Rays barbecue sauce cooked in the oven.
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    I love seafood. Talipia and SALMON(YUMMMY) are my favorites. I think you might love Cod. Try it in maybe fish tacos first. It has a mild lovely flavor.