Overeating On Protein and Fiber

Options
On some days, I overeat on protein and fiber. I sometimes will also go over my calorie limit, but I mostly eat fruits and fiber rich food. Will this cause me to gain weight or is it okay because it's ultimately healthy food?

Replies

• alongcomesmary12
    Options
    Isnt a calorie a calorie? If you are gonna eat more than your dail allotment, i think it is better that they are nutritious!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Isnt a calorie a calorie?

no.

But anyway, you should eat more protein and fiber, generally.
    Just keep the total calories low.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    On some days, I overeat on protein and fiber. I sometimes will also go over my calorie limit, but I mostly eat fruits and fiber rich food. Will this cause me to gain weight or is it okay because it's ultimately healthy food?

I set my fiber and protein higher than MFP values. MFP values are too low for both of those things.

Eating protein and fiber is good for you.
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Fiber has no calories because it doesn't break down. The values that MFP sets is too low for fiber. Women should have at least 26g of fiber a day.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I've got my protein and fibre set much higher than MFP defaults. As always, nothing too extreme but as long as you're on your calorie target and eating good food I should think it's a good thing.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you are going over on fiber you are most likely high in carbs. You should probably find a balance between the two.

A lof of people use the following macro 40 carb/40protein/20 fat

There is a lot of debate on this, but if you are trying to lose weight it's best to limit fruit to one serving a day or substitute with veggies instead.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Protein and fiber are my favorite numbers to be in red. I'm downright thrilled when they're in red, and that's even with custom values (protein goal is 150g, fiber goal is 30g).

I'm not so thrilled when my calories are in the red, though.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    If you eat over your maintenance calories limit you will gain weight, no matter if it's healthy or not.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    My doctor cautioned me about eating too much protein due to my liver disease, but even healthy people can consume too much protein. I have been told to keep it under 30% of calories and I have read that elsewhere even for those with no kidney or liver problems: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    as long as you are eating less calories than you are expending then you will lose weight. Once you start eating more than you will stop losing
  • pobski
    pobski Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you eat too much protein without enough fiber with it, it can lead to diverticulitis eventually. Going over your allotted calories isn't a bad thing, but like matt damon said, if you go over maintenance, you'll gain weight in the long term.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    The calories is what you need to watch. Protein and fiber are good things.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Fiber has no calories because it doesn't break down. The values that MFP sets is too low for fiber. Women should have at least 26g of fiber a day.

:huh:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Depends on what "too much" is. If you're using the default numbers from MFP, you probably aren't going over. My protein goals are 150g/day (I've already lost my goal weight, I'm now in a building phase). MFP said that I should be getting around 55. Little bit of a difference there.

And as far as fiber is concerned, like someone else said, you're body doesn't break that down. I wouldn't be concerned about this (unless for some god-forsaken reason you're at 150g of fiber per day. That's a bit much.)
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options

This is wrong. Fiber usually comes from things with carbs and has calories.
  • wellbert
    Options
    insoluble fiber is pretty much calorie free. It can rupture cell lining in the intestines. This is common in grains.
    soluble fiber has some calories (1-3) and is what you want. Veggies.
  • alongcomesmary12
    Options
    what do you mean "no". a grapefruit calorie is the same as an avocado calorie. that is like saying a ound of feathers weigh less than a pound of lead.
  • wellbert
    Options
    what do you mean "no". a grapefruit calorie is the same as an avocado calorie. that is like saying a ound of feathers weigh less than a pound of lead.

A calorie is a calorie, because a calorie is a unit of measure. You should look into 'thermic effect' to see how the body treats different energy sources.

Just like your feathers vs lead statement. A pound is a pound.

The difference is when someone drops them on you.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    i'm more confused now after reading this
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as too much protein. You only need what you need (40-70g a day, depending on how active you are) and the excess makes your kidneys work harder getting rid of it. There is such a thing as too much fiber (over 70g a day, maybe), but that is only because you spend too much time in the bathroom. Fiber isn't calories. Protein is. I personally don't worry about fiber or carbs or even calories if they come from raw, unrefined foods like fruit and veggies and am still losing weight steadily. I focus on staying in my protein and fat range (as set by MFP) and keeping sodium levels below my range (as set by my doc). Works for me.