"Eating back" Exercise Calories - Simple breakdown

Options

Replies

• gigglebunny1
    Options
    Loved your easy to understand post! Now I get it :glasses:. Thank you! :smile:
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    A lot of programs don't have you eating back calories even if exercising and even if only on 1200 calories.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    A lot of programs don't have you eating back calories even if exercising and even if only on 1200 calories.
    A lot of programs focus entirely on weightloss, since that sells and completely disregard fitness or a discrimination between weight and fat loss.
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think that is a great plan for maintaining your weight loss but It stands to reason that you want to burn more calories than you put in until you get to where you want to be especially if you are overweight and your body will not go into starvation mode until it gets down to 10% or lower in body fat. I am glad that you have found a plan that works for you and wish you the best of luck
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    A lot of programs focus entirely on weightloss, since that sells and completely disregard fitness or a discrimination between weight and fat loss.

they're after fat loss too and a big emphasis on fitness. For example Michelle Bridges 12WBT.
  • yaryrosa
    yaryrosa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1433 x1.2=1720 -1000 for a 2 pd a week loss. that would be 720 calories a day is that right!!!!!!!!

No, that's not right.

Your BMR is the amount your body needs just to function, i.e. breath, heart beat, etc. etc. Just go by what MFP has suggested to you, which would have been based on the info you submitted when you created your account. Then also eat the exercise calories you earn on top of what you've been allocated by MFP, unless you already took into account your exercise when you indicated your activity level.

Eating 720 calories a day WOULD be starvation and totally unsustainable.

Personally, I eat my BMR calories - which is actually a little higher than my daily allocation by MFP - (and some days even 100 - 300 calories more), plus the majority of my exercise calories and have been averaging a 1.5 pound loss every week.

Good luck!!

Edited for typo :tongue:

actually, what the poster said about 720 calories a day is correct. they posted their BMR multiplied by the sedentary activity value of 1.2, and subtracted 1,000 for a 2lb per week deficit goal equaling 720. if you look, youll find my response confirming the math but letting them know a 2lb/week goal isnt realistic with their TDEE, advised them to shoot for a 1lb per week goal with a 500 calorie deficit instead.

So what you're saying is short people can't lose 2 pounds per week? My numbers are just like these ones and what I'm aiming to do is eat my 1200 cals to make sure I get good nutrition, but I don't eat back my exercise calories. I only work out like 2 hours per week and I'm extra sedentary (around 12 hrs sitting down daily).
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Finally this makes sense ... so glad you helped me to understand this *eat your calories back*.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

they're after fat loss too and a big emphasis on fitness. For example Michelle Bridges 12WBT.
    And that one's only $200.

My point stands :wink:
  • BrendaPetersen
    BrendaPetersen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later :) Thanks for posting!
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    bump
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You'll still lose if you don't eat back all your calories as long as you eat a healthy range for yourself. Over the years I've lost and kept off over 120 pounds this way.

I'm sorry OP, but I don't know what qualifies you as an expert in the matter. You've lost 20lbs which is a great success but you still have a long road to go with the rest of us.
  • :huh:
  • jessicaS021
    jessicaS021 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    im confused and need help
  • 3hearts4me
    3hearts4me Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This makes sense to me....my only reluctance in eating back my exercise calories is not knowing exactly how much I should eat back. I'm a big girl with 60lbs to lose, I exercise hard for one hour three times a week doing a mix of cardio and weights.
    MFP says I burn 695 calories which I think is way high so I've only been counting it as 30 minutes. I've looked at other websites but the ranges are so wide and varied that I'm reluctant to eat back "estimates."

Thanks though! :)
  • leiaorgana7
    leiaorgana7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    But what if your to full to eat anything else? I understand what your saying but somedays I get full off of just getting my water intake in...you know that rule of drinking 8oz before every meal......thanks

Plain, raw nuts & dried fruit! Healthy, full of fiber, nutritious and... calorific. Good way to reach your calorie intake goal on days like that :)
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Great job at explaining this OP :-) there are always going to be differing explanations and opinions when it comes to this, but your explanation makes perfect sense. If you don't eat your allotted calories, including those you lose through exercise, your body is going to go into full starvation mode.

The key for me is to make sure I am filling up those calories with healthy foods and not tricking myself into thinking I can indulge in overly fatty/sugary foods! ;
  • jneihardt
    jneihardt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pengar1953
    pengar1953 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump