Alcohol

Options
2»

Replies

• sissonne1
    Options
    Actually, drinking alcohol hinders fat burning and weight loss. Alcohol cannot be stored by our cells, therefore, it must be oxidized (burned off) by the body, so your body will always burn alcohol first before any other body fuel. I have a moderate library of nutrition books and have read this more than once. On a quick search, here's a very basic article which describes how our bodies process alcohol vs. fat and other fuels.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/280263-alcohol-fat-burning/

Having said that, I do like my vodka, but when I'm restricting my calories, I pick my battles. Am I willing to stall out any potential fat burning with a drink (or four)? Husband and I, with all good intentions, do try to limit it to the weekends. However, I've always noticed the most consistent and forward moving weight loss when I completely abstain (unfortunately!).

Also, as a note, I worked with a nutritionist here for a 7 week period last year. She recommends, if one chooses to drink, sparkling water with vodka. Especially potato vodka (should you have an undiscovered gluten intolerance).