Lost 36lbs need help to get the other 40 off

toribug
toribug Posts: 41 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
It has taken me 8 months to get 37lbs off and I don't want it to take another 8 months to get the rest off. I feel like I am doing something wrong because I see people lose 8-10lbs a month and I don't. I know everyone is different but it makes it harder to get through it. I took me 2.5 months to get out of the 180's.I have read that it's a numbers game, but I am bad with numbers :cry: . I don't eat fastfood anymore or drink soda's. I eat chaicken, turkey, fish, nothing fried drink lots of water and tea. I also eat lots of greens, salads and fruits. I try to have protein with every meal and eat every 2 hrs (5x a day). I even had a trainer for 3 months, but that was $200.00 a month and I don't have that kind of money. I won't lie, I do slip sometimes but I eat 95% better than I did before and I am human. I do feel better and I can do so much more. I'm working on running and can't wait to be able to run a mile without stopping. I can fit into some 14's from a size 20 :smile: I just dont want to waste my time at the gym, I want to do it right. I work out 3-5 days a week. I have some questions for you guys.
What changes did you make in the middle of your lifestyle change?
After a plateau, what did you learn that pushed you through it?
What have you found that was a success for you?
Anything to help me or anyone else that reads this.

Replies

• lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    well congrats on what you have lost so far. as far as hitting a plateau the trainer i spoke with said to change the workout up that your body will get used to what you are doing so for me instead of walking just on a treadmill each day I alternate btwn the eliptical and the treadmill (on at least a 3.5 incline for most of the workout). Watch the food you are eating - does it contain alot of refined suger that could hurt your weight loss abilities - i try to limit our use of white suger to just sweet tea and baking most everything else I use stevia in.
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    I'm just getting started and I agree that it can be very frustrating to see other people post that they have lost 8-10 pounds in a month and you are working hard but only pulling 3-4 pounds/month. I can't really help you through your plateau, other than I've read that you should change everything up. Do different cardio, exercise harder, up your calories....one girl even posted that she intentionally goes over her calories one day and then goes under the next so her body has to figure out whats going on instead of just coasting along....

For now I just keep telling myself that slow and steady wins the race.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Try doing some form of exercise your body is not accustomed to, and switch it up every so often. I've been doing the same workout video as my main source of cardio for the last 5 months, and I got stuck at 39 pounds lost, and couldn't, for the life of me, get to 40 pounds. I would go up a couple of pounds, and back down to 39, but no 40. I changed up my routine a little bit, and bam, I hit the 40 pound loss mark.
  • tori - hi. i see you posted a blog about being stuck at 37 pounds. to begin with, i think you need to set your sights on your diet and exercise - NOT on the thought that other people are losing 10 pounds per month. while everyone's metabolism is different and everyone loses weight differently, i think you answered your own questions - your diet. You have been doing great on losing 37 pounds and congrats on that; however, I think you need to tweek what you are eating..it sounds as if you may be sliding back into some old habits that put the weight on to begin with.

i began my weight loss journey at 200 pounds. i stopped eating processed foods, flour products and starchy foods. my diet consisted of protein (at least 4-5 ounces per meal), complex carbs (fruits, vegies) and whole grains. I made sure I ate every 2 hours so a snack was 1/2 whole grain bread, 3-4 oz sliced turkey, lettuce, tomatoe, onion with an apple, orange, handfull of grapes, etc. It's important that when you eat, you always combine protein with a carbohydrate as the protein slows the rate the carb enters your bloodstream and keeps your blood sugar balanced. I also ate 6 times a day.

I exercised 5 days a week and made it a point not to repeat the exercise...so, monday i would ride the stationary bike for 20 minutes, tuesday - weight train upper body; wednesday - treadmill 20 mins; thurs - weight train lower body; friday exercise tape, etc. While this approach worked for me, you have to refocus on you.

Losing weight can make anyone totally nuts and out of their mind obsessed - i know that's what happened to me. Refocos on you and start over again: check your diet and make sure you are not slipping back into old habits, vary your exercise - minutes and intensity for each exercise and just move along...one step at a time - don't worry about how much you lose but that you are continuing to lose...I know that after losing 37 pounds, the body will reset itself and you will lose slower and thats OK because you are losing. Just keep that image of you in size 10 in your head and follow your dream BECAUSE YOU ARE DOING GREAT and you are NOT doing anything wrong

nancy
This discussion has been closed.