going to get fired tomorrow

Options
2»

Replies

• diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Don't stress this. If they are about to fire you, it sounds as if you are better off. Don't quit because you can't collect unemployment or anything. If they do fire you, call an attorney. If you don't have the cash, try seeing if their are Legal Aid services in your area.

File for unemployment. You will be turned down. Go back and file for an appeal. Insist on a face-to-face hearing. You do not want to do this by phone. Try your best to get some legal representation. There are several things about your story that you can sue for, such as the PTSD stuff.

Don't let this go! Some of the worst mistakes I made when I was young was not fighting back when I needed to.

even after the fire incident i sent my own individual long incident report explaining the situation directly from my perspective, even about how the executive director had to come in, because it iwas a fire, and i told him i haven't had fire training and he said "don't tell them that", referencing the fire department. i just don't even know what to do with thi sinformation. and this is a big non-profit, i don't think i can sue or win. i don't want to slander, but biggest non-profit out there, kind of culty.

It's sounds like a terrible non-profit (I don't know which one you're talking about...) Just because they are non-profit doesn't mean they are exempt from treating employees and clients properly. They have to follow the laws just like any for profit company.

Maybe not what you want to hear, but sometimes someone has to be the whistle blower...
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    also, our union isn't strong at all.

people have been terminated in the past year, but for doing really dumb things, and the union didn't even try to grieve it.

they also knew i wanted to run for union steward cause the guy that is doing it right now hates it.

^^ This is important. If they fire you, you can file a complaint with the NLRB. Even if the Union is weak, if management knew you wanted to be union steward and is now firing you, the NLRB may take your claim.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

even after the fire incident i sent my own individual long incident report explaining the situation directly from my perspective, even about how the executive director had to come in, because it iwas a fire, and i told him i haven't had fire training and he said "don't tell them that", referencing the fire department. i just don't even know what to do with thi sinformation. and this is a big non-profit, i don't think i can sue or win. i don't want to slander, but biggest non-profit out there, kind of culty.

maybe this is why they want to meet with you and not terminate you.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

maybe this is why they want to meet with you and not terminate you.

no, that happened over a year ago
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    DON'T QUIT.

Let them terminate you and ask for a reason in writing. Tell the Union you want to grieve it.

I'm sorry you are going through this.
    **this**
  • foxyforce
    Options
    i wanted to share my incident report about the fire, if anyone has any advice regarding how it can help me, let me know:

Dear ___________,

I am aware that you are currently on vacation so please feel free to forward this to anyone that may be able to give me information or feedback. Otherwise feel free to respond when you are back from your vacation.

I wanted to give you my report on my personal experience with the fire incident in room 412. I feel that I was not equipped to deal with what I was being asked to do and I really need fire procedure training. Earlier in the shift, before the fire, ___ had stated to me that we "really need to get you and ______ in for fire procedure training". So, the fire was more than ironic! I have read through the manual previously, but I did not receive any other training as of yet.
    This is my experience: At approximately 6pm, just after, a resident from the fourth floor came to the front desk letting us know that there is an alarm going off from someones room, but he is not sure which one. I looked at the computer monitor to see if anything was active, the little alarm alerts that come up from time to time, but nothing was. I grabbed my radio to go upstairs and check. I heard the alarm from the elevator. I went down the hall putting my ear to each door, my auditory senses are not as good as I thought they were! I was stuck between room 412 and 413. There was no smoke at this time. I was knocking on both doors and then let ___ know that I was going to open 413. I fumbled with the key trying to open it with no luck. I turned around to try 412 and saw smoke. I radioed ___ immediately and told her there was smoke coming from 412 and she stated she was calling the fire dept. I unlocked 412 and pushed it open and the fire pushed the door back, I saw it and felt it (this seems like a mistake now since I did it with my bare hands, aren't handles supposed to get hot?), ___ notified me that no one was in 412 and I yelled down the hallway, "Fire, please exit through the stairway", I knocked on each door on that floor. I went down the stairs and to the front desk and asked her if our residents with mobility issues were in the building. ___ told me that 516 was upstairs and to go check on him. I went. I would only have been comfortable doing this once. His room was directly above the room with the fire. Which I thought was a large fire despite what the fire dept later had said, cause I don't see fires everyday. The hallway of the 5th floor was smokey. I opened his room, 516, and it was even worse! I asked him if he was ok and told him that there was in fact a fire in the building. I asked him if he could get downstairs and he said yes jokingly. I ask because I was informed that our other resident with mobility issues is able to get down the stairs. He told me he could not. I asked him if I could open the window, and he said "No, it will just make the smoke worse". This is also something I did not know. So, we left the window closed. I radioed all of these details to ___. The fire crew is now in the building. I went down to the front desk and was asked to perform rounds. I was just following orders so I went to the stairwell, already shaken up since I knew that 516 was upstairs, and that the fire dept was already in the building (all 8 trucks), and that I was being asked to go to a hire floor and knock on doors to get people out when the alarm is all over the building. (Another one of my questions is this normal protocol? Is it ok for a fire alarm to be going off on a floor and not the whole building?) I radioed front desk and said "can you give me instruction on exactly what it is that I am doing and are you sure this is safe?" and I was again told to do rounds. I knew, and saw, the fire blazing on the 4th floor and was asked to go towards and above it. Is this what we do? Well, I did it. Not because I wanted to be a hero, because what use am I to anyone when there is a fire in the building and the alarm and the fire dept are both active. I was asked again to check on 516 via my radio. Why I did this twice, I have no idea. I was in a panic and just wanted to do my job properly so that everyone was safe. I went to check on him, and there was an excessive amount of smoke. I radioed to front desk and was asked to wait with him. This again did not feel right to me. I had communications with ___ and she told me I could come back to the front desk if I needed to. The fire was right below me, I was inhaling smoke, yes I wanted to come back to the front desk, if I could have carried 516 I most definitely would have! I told 516 to call the front desk since we were still in the building, if he needed anything at all or just needed to stay on the line with us.
    I went outside with residents, where Peter was taking attendance.
    A normal round, if done really really quickly can take 15 minutes. Isn't this far too long to be in a building, on floors higher than a fire? I am not trying to condescend anyone. I was in a panic and I am still coming down off the adrenaline.
    What I have thought was normal procedure: pull the alarm (I don't know anything about the panel, I need to be trained on it with ________), exit the building, take attendance. I am comfortable with getting everyone out on the floor I am on with the exception of if there is a fire on this floor (which I still did on the 4th initially).
    _____came in and I was expressing to him how I did not know procedure and he told me not to tell "them that" and I think he was referencing the fire dept and police. I did not feel safe, I got some debriefing with ___ and ___ (who was coming in at 7, but got in the building when the residents came back in). But it was really sparse because I had been running around in a building with fire in it trying to evacuate people. Fire is unpredictable and I do not know nearly enough about it to be in a room, or floors directly above it.

Please understand that I was very much concerned with everyone's safety. I had tried to explain how upset I was to _______and ______ when we briefed _______for his 12am to 8am shift and ______ was saying it is our job to make sure everyone is safe and secure. But I don't understand how I can do that in a building that is on fire other than to follow proper procedure, and I don't necessarily know if I believe that proper procedure is to knock on every door in a 7 floor building to make sure everyone is out when I am quite aware that the fire is burning in 412. What if something had exploded? or sparks had made it up to the 5h floor, or lower? But I am positive and trust that you know in this. I had just never experienced it before. _______ also came in 10 minutes early and the briefing was brief. _______ told me to go and then _________ told me to never leave early. This is not a habit for me. And I did end up staying until 12am. However, I feel it would have been warranted for me to even leave after the fire as I am still a little on edge and it is now the 9th.
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    DON"T QUIT!!!! Let them fire you, if that's what is happening - you will see way more benefit financially than by quitting...

and then you can go find a job where they will appreciate you.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    i am sending my resignation letter right now. you can't sue the sa. and i can't claim ei.

and i don't want to grieve, cause i don't want to go into work everyday hating my employer.
  • medibrat
    medibrat Posts: 30
    Options
    DON'T QUIT.

Let them terminate you and ask for a reason in writing. Tell the Union you want to grieve it.

I'm sorry you are going through this.

This. Don't quit. If you quit, there isn't anything your union can do about it. (please trust me on this one, I have been right exactly where you are). If they fire you for something dumb and are hypocritical about it, you can file the grievance immediately. Stand up for it. I know you don't want to work there if that's the way they're going to treat you, but you fight it on principal. You fight it because you need them to know they cant do this to you. And you fight it because you don't want them to do it to someone else. And then you stand up, you hold your head high, and you move on. I went through this a bunch of years ago, and it took a couple of years to sort itself out, but it turns out it was the best thing to happen to me. Chin up, be strong. Use your union, that's what they'r'e there for. And good luck!
  • medibrat
    medibrat Posts: 30
    Options
    addendum: stick around long enough to win your grievance. Then quit. Put up the fight.
  • TennesseeSodaholic
    TennesseeSodaholic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Don't quit. Let them fire you and make them put the reason in writing. Also, it's probably too late to tell you to keep a diary of 'events' like the ones you have been telling us about. It would be good to be able to confirm those events by recording the days they happen and checking it to see it is consistent when people are present at work...

Try to look on the bright side. You are unhappy. If they fire you, then at least you will be away from all that stress and there is the chance a new door will open for you with a job that truly appreciates all you have to offer. I can tell from your posts that you are a compassionate person who cares for others.

I wish you all the best for the future.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    too late. just quit. i really don't have it in me to fight it, even for others, which i know makes me suck. but i cried for like 2 hours. i don't want to feel helpless so i sent them a very candid and honest resignation.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Don't quit. Make them fire you. Check with your state's unemployment. Ours is horrible and low here but even part time workers can get a little bit.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I hope that you will have the strength to pull yourself out of the situation that your employer put you in... You don't have to work there... I was in a job that I had to resign from and let me tell you that it was the best thing that happened to me.. You need to take care of yourself, physically and mentally, and this employer is taking it all from you....
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    too late. just quit. i really don't have it in me to fight it, even for others, which i know makes me suck. but i cried for like 2 hours. i don't want to feel helpless so i sent them a very candid and honest resignation.

Why did you quit? After reading your report, I'm sure the people who investigate fires simply want to talk to you. They shouldn't tell you what it is about so you don't go talk to other employees about the issue.

It seems this job causes you entirely too much stress and moving on my be in your best interest anyway.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    It seems that most of us here believe you shouldn't have quit. You should have waited to see what the meeting was about. I'm sure that what you went through with the fire could have been used as leverage to persuade them to let you stay on. Even the Salvation Army is required to follow employment laws.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You don't want the job, anyway. Sounds lousy. I hope you've been looking for a new job. Let them lay you off. Hopefully, you can get unemployment until you find a better position. Good luck.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am sad to hear that you quit. People sue large companies/non-profits all the time and WIN!! You don't hear about because there is usually a privacy agreement signed at settlement.

I hope this works out for the best for you!