What do you define as heavey

Options
lifitng for woman?

I keep seeing that term used and I am not really sure what anyone means. Help?

Kristine

Replies

• roduk
    roduk Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    id say lifting heavy is based on a weight that you can lift for 1 repetition (1 rep max). anything above say 75% of your 1 rep max for instance could be deemed as lifting heavy. someones heavy set will be based around their 1 rep max and may look like this: 5 sets of five reps at 75% of their 1 rep max.

Its not based on what others can lift but what you can lift! the fact that someone else is doing 600lb deadlifts and you can manage 100lbs is irrelevant.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Heavy is always relative to whatever is heavy for you. If you can perform the exercise 20 - 30 times non-stop then it's not heavy. If you struggle to get the 8th - 12th rep range then that's heavy. Struggling means that you could probably do one more but you would have to do so with improper form or your arm/leg just won't lift the weight anymore.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Heavy is always relative to whatever is heavy for you. If you can perform the exercise 20 - 30 times non-stop then it's not heavy. If you struggle to get the 8th - 12th rep range then that's heavy. Struggling means that you could probably do one more but you would have to do so with improper form or your arm/leg just won't lift the weight anymore.

^^^
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    anything more than 3 reps is cardio...

JK, heard a powerlifter say that one time.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    For me personally, heavy is doing 8 reps of DB chest presses before my arms start shaking, I sweat like crazy, sometimes I grunt (I try hard not to though) and the ocassional expletive slips out.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

^^^

Or the 4 or 5th rep.
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    So, 20 pounds, depending on the muscle group worked, could be considered heavey to a newbie?

Thanks,
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    So, 20 pounds, depending on the muscle group worked, could be considered heavey to a newbie?

Thanks,

For tricep extensions, I'm at 12lbs. Side-shoulder laterals are like 8lbs. Deadlifts is 185lbs.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Thanks,

Yes, it could be considered very heavy, even impossible for some people and some exercises. I'm coming close to deadlifting 300lbs but doing alternating front/lateral raises with 20lb dumbbells is enough to make me die by the 8th rep. Most women are going to struggle with doing raises or tricep extensions with more than 10, maybe 15lbs tops.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It's all relative. What I consider to be heavy for *me* might not be heavy for someone else.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I couldn't find it in the dictionary.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    To me it's not being able to complete at least one, but not more than 8-10 reps at that particular weight. I lift until I can't do anymore reps without totally breaking form, whether that's one, three, seven, etc. But one I can consistently do eight or more reps and don't break form, then it's time for me to increase the weight.

A big key word there for me is consistently. Like, last night I hit eight reps on one of my lifts. That doesn't mean that when I go back to it on Thursday that I'll increase the weight. But if I continue to hit eight reps multiple sets/nights and then am gradually move up to being able to hit 10 reps most of the time, without dropping back below eight, then I increase the weight.

And the weight depends entirely on you and the muscle group being worked. But don't sell yourself short and just do fewer reps with a weight you think is heavy for you.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hey it will take a bit of trial to find what is heavy for you, and then it will constantly change as you get stronger! It's all part of the fun! If you can work out your max for 1 rep and then take 75% of it then that is sweet, that doesn't work for me though as I feel I'd need to work with someone professional to find my max 1 and I'm not in that position at the moment!

For me I am currently doing a 5 x 5 programme. So I lift a weight 5 times for 5 sets. Then on the next workout I add 5lb to that weight. If I fail to do 5 X 5 (e.g. I might do 5, 5, 5, 4, 3) then I stay at the current weight until I do 5 X 5, then I increase again.

For me this means I am always ""lifting heavy" (because sometimes it is too heavy to lift!) and I am always pushing forward and clearly tracking progress.

When I started off doing this I picked a baseline to start with based on previous experience. When I did my first set of bench presses I only managed 5, 5, 4, 3, 3 so I lowered that weight a bit next time so I was starting realistically.

Another good technique I use sometimes is if after doing the full set of work with a weight (e.g. a full 5 X 5 or a 12 x 3 or however you do your weights) if you can do one more set (another 5 or 12) then the weight can be heavier :) Good luck! x
  • roduk
    roduk Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    people in bodypump class lifting 10lb barbells for an hour are not lifting heavy!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Thanks,

Yes, it could be considered very heavy, even impossible for some people and some exercises. I'm coming close to deadlifting 300lbs but doing alternating front/lateral raises with 20lb dumbbells is enough to make me die by the 8th rep. Most women are going to struggle with doing raises or tricep extensions with more than 10, maybe 15lbs tops.

I've been lifting for a year and with front/lateral raises I'm doing 20 lbs. (front) but only for like 4 reps and lateral is 12 lbs. Everyone's different.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I define "heavy" the same way for both men and women: any weight that challenges a person in the 5 to 12 repetition range. Anything a person can't do 5 times, I consider "very heavy." If a person can do it more than 12 times, it's not heavy.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options

I think that quote is very funny. No matter how many times I see or hear it, it makes me laugh.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Maximal strength training is roughly 85% to 100% of your 1-rep max and typically works in ranges of 1rep to 5reps.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

I think that quote is very funny. No matter how many times I see or hear it, it makes me laugh.

It made me laugh as well the first time I heard it/read it.

Probably why it stuck. I will say a 5x1 routine (95ish% of 1 rm) with deadlifts is awesome for strength.