BCAA's...

Options
Does anyone take BCAA's? I just started weight training a few weeks ago and was told that I should take BCAA's and Creatine. I think I will pass on the Creatine but am still debating over BCAA's. Are they really beneficial?

Replies

• savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    bump i want same answers
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    unless you train fasted, no and if you only just started they are completely unnecessary.I would even say unnessesary for most people, again, unless they train fasted.

You get plenty of BCAA from whole food proteins and any protein powder you might take.

Out of those 2 You would actually be better off with creatine, as it is super cheap and does work. But again, not really essential for beginners. Learn how to lift with maximum intensity and get your diet sorted first.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Both BCAA's and Creatine have been proven time and time again to aid in muscle building.

Not sure if BCAA's vs. just protein makes a huge difference though.

But both are safe and beneficial supplements. I personally would just add the creatine to a meal after the workout rather than take a sugary powder, but that's the clean eater in me speaking. I've taken creatine, and I never really liked it in a sugary concoction even though research does show the associated insulin spike helps absorption.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think they're worth it. Most Americans get way past their minimum requirement for protein. There are plenty of scientific studies out there that show even athletes, who require more protein than the average person, should be able to get enough from their diet.

If you do use them, make sure to do so as directed! Most people go way beyond what's suggested. This is a bad idea because there are certain amino acids your body can't produce on its own that it needs to get from food, and too many BCAAs could inhibit their absorption. Too many BCAAs can also mess up your acid/base balance which can cause major major damage.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I was doing Leangains for a while and bought some Optimum Nutrition BCAAs to take during my fasting window. Honestly, I'm unclear about what the science really says about their benefits, but I can tell you for sure that those things taste like *kitten*!!! They are HORRIBLE, and I couldn't find anything to mask the taste. After a few days, I decided life is too short to be miserable! :drinker: ....the canister is still sitting in my pantry.
  • JacquelineD35
    JacquelineD35 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.. I just usually drink my Whey Protein shake after my workouts with a banana, I figure this is enough but figured I post the question on here as well since there seems to be many knowledgable people on the site.
  • thistimeismytime
    Options
    Thanks guys.. I just usually drink my Whey Protein shake after my workouts with a banana, I figure this is enough but figured I post the question on here as well since there seems to be many knowledgable people on the site.

If I were you, I'd just stick with that and save your $$$$. Just my opinion.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    i take xtend but i also workout fasted
  • JacquelineD35
    Options
    lol I definitely will especially if the pills taste like *kitten* :) , thanks for the feed back its appreciated!!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I've yet to see a good reason to get BCAAs, but there are plenty of promising results from supplementing creatine.
  • JacquelineD35
    Options
    what does it mean to work out fasted??
  • thistimeismytime
    Options
    lol I definitely will especially if the pills taste like *kitten* :) , thanks for the feed back its appreciated!!

Well, this was the powder that you mix in liquid--sorry if that was unclear. The problem with the capsules is you have to take a bunch of them!! There's 25 bucks I'll never get back!! :laugh:
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Working out fasted means without any food, I do leangains so I stop eating at 6pm and then workout in the morning on no food and then eat my first meal at 10am.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    They've only been shown to be of any benefit when protein intake is inadequate.
  • nikao4jc
    nikao4jc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This. Enough protein and you don't need the BCAA's. I finished a bottle with no added benefits that I could tell. Creatine is the way to go, just as long as you fully dissolve it in hot water.
  • JacquelineD35
    Options
    I've yet to see a good reason to get BCAAs, but there are plenty of promising results from supplementing creatine.

I've read that Creatine is bad for the liver, hence why I don't want to take it. The Whey Protein I drink contains Glutamine, but one of the women at my gym told me to really look into BCAA's and Creatine.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    This. Enough protein and you don't need the BCAA's. I finished a bottle with no added benefits that I could tell. Creatine is the way to go, just as long as you fully dissolve it in hot water.

you don't need to take your creatine with hot water
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    creatine monohydrate is tasteless. I used to just put the dose in my mouth then drink water.

Properly loaded creatine adds about 3-7 lbs of water weight on me depending on time of day. If you start take it, remember the benefits will be in the mirror.
  • JacquelineD35
    Options
    Definitely appreciate all the feed back, between being told to take fat burners, BCAA's and other supps, drink 3 liters of water a day etc etc etc my head spins lol. I like to get opinions on here seems like people know what they are talking about, I've got a lot of weight to lose before I see the complete benefits of weight training but I also know it's an essential part of my fitness goals.