RUNNING! HELP ME!

Options
I currently work at a lil’ High School in a small town. I was asked (more like pushed into) to help out with their upcoming track and field season. I've ran track, which was ages ago, but still need some help! Besides having them do the obvious of RUNNING I need some help.

Does anybody have any great tips on conditioning? I'll be working with the short distance sprinters. So if you can provide SAFE conditioning tips…that will be GREAT!

I'm currently preparing to run a 1/2 marathon but even with that I have to work with my trainer. It’s different from short distance so I'm a little thrown off.

Thanks to those who respond to my topic "tips for marathons." Since then, I was able to find a great trainer and have been building my momentum and endurance. I preparing for a 1/2 marathon, which is this summer, and then I'll train for the full 26 miles.

Replies

• Deezba
    Deezba Posts: 12
    Options
    I currently work at a lil’ High School in a small town. I was asked (more like pushed into) to help out with their upcoming track and field season. I've ran track, which was ages ago, but still need some help! Besides having them do the obvious of RUNNING I need some help.

Does anybody have any great tips on conditioning? I'll be working with the short distance sprinters. So if you can provide SAFE conditioning tips…that will be GREAT!

I'm currently preparing to run a 1/2 marathon but even with that I have to work with my trainer. It’s different from short distance so I'm a little thrown off.

Thanks to those who respond to my topic "tips for marathons." Since then, I was able to find a great trainer and have been building my momentum and endurance. I preparing for a 1/2 marathon, which is this summer, and then I'll train for the full 26 miles.
  • Deargan
    Options
    Hello,
    I am not the best runner by any definition of the word, however, after joining the military ten years out of high school and having to run as an adult I definitely learned it's much harder than as a teenager. The two most important things I've learned are the simplest. First, the shoe stores that have the computers to tell what shoes you need....do it and buy the shoes and secondly, take motrin BEFORE you run. I have an aversion to taking meds, especially before I'm even in pain, but I've learned that the motrin helps my knees and shins, therefore I run with better form and can go alot longer.
    Congratulations on the 1/2 marathon training. :flowerforyou:
  • snelfk
    snelfk Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My daughter is on her HS track team, here is a typical afternoon work out.

First 1/2 mile warm up, strretches as a team, Doing:
    Line up and do Strides, 50 meters, 65 %, then 75%, then 85 % speed.
    "Butt Kickers" and "High Knees"

Main Workout:
    Ladders: middle to long distance runners 1200M, 800m, 600m, 400m, 200m - meaning run the distance , walk back to starting point, run next step in ladder. After completing th 200, take a 3 minute rest. Then do it again in reverse order.
    Sprinter Ladders: 400m, 200m, 100m, 50m distances do two times.

300 repeats. Running 300 meters over and over, walking back to start line between sets. (Or any distance under 400m).

Farleks: Sprint for 100 meters, jog for 100 meters, repeat 4 laps.

Cool down 2 laps. Then work on abs. :smile:
  • Deezba
    Deezba Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks....you all are great! I start practice today..