vending machine at gym?!?!

Options
So ive been at the gym about 7 months now. Three to four times a week I drag my chunky are there and obviously don't pay attention to my surroundings.

Today, the same as every other gym day it was different. There was a guy buying something from a vending machine.

This bending machine was 2 metres outside gym door!!!!!

Where is the logic in that?! Gyms promote health and fitness and then they plonk a vending machine outside just to tempt your tastebuds.

And I mean tastebuds, it was full of coke (no energy drinks which surprised me) crisps (salt and vinegar hula hoops my fav!!) And chocolate!!!!

I could understand if it was full of protein shakes of fruit but not all the stuff we are trying to cut out?!

Can anyone enlighten me why they would do such a thing or am I right in thinking some evil person wants to ruin out diets and make a profit from it?! Lol

Replies

• Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    One word answer: Money.

confectionery/soft drink makers pay a lot of money to be associated everywhere. It's like a captive market.

Want some irony? At the olympics, which is meant to be a beacon of human performance and health... The largest McDonalds in the UK exists.

If you want some more irony... Just go look at the general location of gyms. They're near retail parks (because the floorspace there is cheap) - what else generally also exists in retail parks not more than 100m from said gyms? That's right. McDonalds/KFC/etc.

Sometimes it's coincidence, but more often than not it's exploiting human nature to choose convenience. And when you're really tired from working out, one of the first things to go for a lot of people is motivation to make something to eat/drink. It's why people tell you _never_ to go shopping when you're really hungry and/or really thirsty, because you'll inevitably spend money on stuff that you'd not normally eat or succumb to temptation.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Because some people manage to work out and still eat regular foods in moderation. I know, it's pretty crazy.
  • DJTJ34
    DJTJ34 Posts: 22
    Options
    One word answer: Money.

confectionery/soft drink makers pay a lot of money to be associated everywhere. It's like a captive market.

Want some irony? At the olympics, which is meant to be a beacon of human performance and health... The largest McDonalds in the UK exists.

If you want some more irony... Just go look at the general location of gyms. They're near retail parks (because the floorspace there is cheap) - what else generally also exists in retail parks not more than 100m from said gyms? That's right. McDonalds/KFC/etc.

Sometimes it's coincidence, but more often than not it's exploiting human nature to choose convenience. And when you're really tired from working out, one of the first things to go for a lot of people is motivation to make something to eat/drink. It's why people tell you _never_ to go shopping when you're really hungry and/or really thirsty, because you'll inevitably spend money on stuff that you'd not normally eat or succumb to temptation.

I thought it was going to be ONE word?????
  • Shadowsan
    Options
    It was one word - in the beginning! ;)

Money is the reason, explaining why money makes the world go round? Ok, so I got a bit carried away. Lol
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    You're confronted with similar choices in your daily life--I don't really see it as problematic. Most protein bars are glorified candy bars anyway (which i LOVE) so who really cares? If you don't want to eat vending machine food then pay it no attention.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Because some people manage to work out and still eat regular foods in moderation. I know, it's pretty crazy.
    Ermahgerd, what is this you speak of? Only protein powder and raspberry ketones for this girl.
  • RunDottyRun
    Options
    My gym has a vending machine full of "health" bars and protein drinks... lol
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Ermahgerd, what is this you speak of? Only protein powder and raspberry ketones for this girl.

No, no, no. You don't need protein powder. Get yourself some of that incredible HCG stuff. I heard it tastes just like babies. :wink:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

I could understand if it was full of protein shakes of fruit but not all the stuff we are trying to cut out?!

Can anyone enlighten me why they would do such a thing or am I right in thinking some evil person wants to ruin out diets and make a profit from it?! Lol

maybe because I'm not the only person not cutting out food that tastes good and that, from time to time, I enjoy. and I can't be the only one not on a diet.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    my gyms vending machines have protein bars and drinks in them
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    There's a pizza place right next to my gym, and Burger King shares the same parking lot! :wink: - it always smells so good when I leave!
  • Shadowsan
    Options
    To be fair, I emphasise my 'Tight Yorkshireman' in me.

I always go with no money apart from the fake pound coin needed to lock my locker... And I take a bottle of water.

That way i'm not even slightly tempted to use any of the vending machines in my gym - I just see it as wasting money anyways so I take the choice away from me.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    There is one at one of the locations I go to, but it's mostly water, protein shakes and energy drinks. There is SOME soda, but it's only a small percentage. BONUS- you can pay with your key fob they give you to open the doors to get in the gym.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    We go to the YMCA, and they have THREE vending machines in the back near the child care area... Full of Pop/Soda, Candy, Chips... etc....

And get this, they all have Credit/Debit Card readers on them! No need to even have a dollar anymore! oye!!!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    There's a pizza place right next to my gym, and Burger King shares the same parking lot! :wink: - it always smells so good when I leave!

Haha, we're next to a wing place at the one location and a Dominoes AND a Chinese Buffet at the other. :laugh:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    What is the problem??
  • nellelaughs
    Options
    My trainer told my husband to eat a Snickers bar after working out. Protein and fat to help gain weight. Yep, some people at the gym want to gain.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    At my gym there is a guy selling beers in the parking lot.
  • EricVisentin
    Options
    If you think you can not resist temptation, then leave your money at home. Even if you wanted it, you wouldn't be able to pay for it! Hopefully on the drive home, the craving will pass!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of vending machines in my gym.... but they only sell powerade and water!

we have a cafe in my gym too.... that sells protein/recovery shakes, gatorade, performance drinks, water, muscle brownies, stuff like that.... mostly healthy options... BUT they also sell a few candy bars. Well I see them there, but I have never seen anyone buy one in the year and a half that I've been going there...