Stainless Steel vs. Anodized Aluminum Cookware?

Options
schustc
schustc Posts: 428 Member
which do you prefer? I have a minor nickel allergy so am concerned about Stainless Steel (does anyone here have issues wearing cheap jewelry - get a rash, etc? - I do from the nickel in most cheap jewelry, and since nickel is in the stainless steel, it concerns me).

On the other hand, anodized is chemically treated so I'd rather avoid that

Teflon? no way. Worst option of the 3 I think.. Chemicals galore (we have telfon now, that I will be getting rid of).

If you have a nickel allergy let my know if you can safely use the Stainless - that's my first choice. I may get an anodized pan for eggs since I hear stainless and Eggs just don't mix unless you use a lot of oil - and that's not an option.

Thoughts?
Thank you!

Replies

• schustc
    Options
    Bump - not sure anyone has any input but trying one last time.

Thank you!
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    I have a severe nickel allergy - when the Dr. did a skin test on me, that spot swelled up instantly and required cortisone to treat. I use stainless steel for my cookware and always have, with no problems whatsoever. I actually prefer the triple clad - stainless top and bottom with aluminum cores for even heating.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I spent a lot of money on hard anodized and they wore out within 6 years. Eff that. I grew up with regular non-coated pots and pans and I just went back. Mom's had her cookware since the freaking 60s.

I've not a clue about your allergy :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I cook almost everything with cast iron of one form or another, seasoned properly they're as / more non-stick than the latest chemical teflon family of platings...
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I seen somewhere for diamond coated pans... supposed to be better than teflon
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Stainless all the way! I purchased a set of Wolfgang Pucks triple bottomed something or other.... It's been so long I can't remember the full name. Have been using them for years now. No sign of going bad. Still can fry an egg with very little oil/buttter and it slides around like nobuddy's business. Super Easy clean up. I'll go and try to find the name and edit the post.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have some All-Clad sauce pans that I LOVE. They were expensive but so worth it. I've had them for 12 years and look like the day I bought them. I just use them for soups and stuff. I have a nickel allergy but have never noticed these pans bothering me.

For cooking, carmelizing meat, skillet meals it is cast iron all the way. I've had my cast iron pans for 20 years. They are well seasoned after every use. And they are the best cookware ever known to humankind!
  • schustc
    Options
    I have a severe nickel allergy - when the Dr. did a skin test on me, that spot swelled up instantly and required cortisone to treat. I use stainless steel for my cookware and always have, with no problems whatsoever. I actually prefer the triple clad - stainless top and bottom with aluminum cores for even heating.

I just want to thank you immensely for putting my fear to rest on this. Additionally, thanks to all! I am thinking a mix of stainless and cast iron is what I am going to shoot for. I just really want to get away from the chemical bath products.. flaking poison etc.. and seriously, having to replace sets constantly isn't something I want to mess with either! :) THANK YOU!!!
  • schustc
    Options
    So this is the set I ended up with. I will likely offset this with cast iron cookware depending on the application, but for now, this will do. Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 13 piece set

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L1CW8S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A1NWA7OTQUS131
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    That's what I have! Well, the skillets. I've not switched pots yet. Have fun! I love mine :D
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    STAINLESS!
  • lihaoqing
    Options
    i am very unfortunate cant use stainless steel cookware, i still havnt figure out why yet. i have been suffering from celiac and mutiple food allergies. so rice is my staple. i find the hard way, that after eating rice cooked in stainless steel pot, i imediately get bad bloating and indigestion, brain fog, fatigue. and it leads to constipation, liver damage and etc, my weight dropped down to 90 for 5,9 male and hospitalized for quite a while. then i switched it to aluminum alloy based pot, bloating instantly gets better, i can finally put on some weight. right now i am very sensitive to cookware, even i use stainless spoon to stir the boiling rice sometime, my stomach can pick that up instantly. i am very frustrated and dire to find an explanation to that. it all developped quite all of sudden, i don't know why. right now i am using mainly teflon since cooking rice you need some non-stick, otherwise hard to clean up. i handle that better than stainless steel. the cast iron however most are pre-seasoned. i happen to allergic to all the oil, so that one is ruled out either. i am frustrated, life is ruined for sure. it just my individual case, thanks for listening