Kettlebell Cardio + Strength training

Options
Hey Guys,

I have been looking at getting a Kettlebell or two (36lb and 44lb) for the house. I have hear nothing but awesome things about these and I want to change up my training routine.

Do you guys know any good resources for:

A) Online Video's that have training programs such as cardio and strength Kettlebell session

or

B) A good DVD series thats starts from beginner and goes to advanced Kettlebell moves.

Also, for anyone who does Kettlebell training, what do you think of it?

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It got the KettleWorX DVD set. A bit spendy but I like it.

Has 2 "fast" workout DVD's where 10 minutes each and then 4 regular plus 4 areas (Butt & Hips, Chest & Back, etc.). I can't free for all it because I get distracted and bored easily. I need someone telling me what to do so these work good.
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Myomytv.com has a wide range of kettlebell videos.

The Iron Core series is good for beginners but I'm not sure about advanced. There are two DVDs, and then a third "express" one that's only 20 minutes long. Vol 2 is more advanced than vol 1 but I don't know if I'd consider it advanced in general.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend spending some time with an experienced trainer before starting a program with kettlebells. Incorrect form can easily mess up your back when using higher weights (20# or higher for guys), and side line you for weeks.

Other than that, you will absolutely work muscles in your legs and butt that you didn't know existed:noway: :laugh: :laugh:
    Ya might have trouble the next few days trying to sit (on anything:wink: )!
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Ditto the visit with a certified instructor. Even one session will teach you volumes about correct form. Safety first.

My opinion: stay away from Kettleworx. Proclaiming oneself "Mr Kettlebell" does not make one a qualified instructor.

YouTube is a good resource, but use with caution.....there is a LOT of junk out there.

Search on youtube/google for some of these names: Franz Snideman, Mike Mahler, Phil Ross, Dave Whitley...I could put 100 names here....

If you are interested in a DVD, look into "Enter The Kettlebell" it's a book with a DVD (available separately) Mike Mahler also puts out some good DVD's that go from beginner to more advanced.

I could blab on for hours.....feel free to DM me if you like.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Search for Steve Cotter and Mike Mahler on Youtube. Both guys are beasts and do instructional videos.
  • sessygail
    sessygail Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells = my favorite workout. I've been doing a 30 minute class at the gym recently and it kicks my butt every time. We worked out with a personal trainer for two days a week for a few months and he usually did kettlebells at least once a week. Doing them right is the key. But, oh yeah, I LOVE them!
  • sessygail
    sessygail Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend spending some time with an experienced trainer before starting a program with kettlebells. Incorrect form can easily mess up your back when using higher weights (20# or higher for guys), and side line you for weeks.

Other than that, you will absolutely work muscles in your legs and butt that you didn't know existed:noway: :laugh: :laugh:
    Ya might have trouble the next few days trying to sit (on anything:wink: )!

Yup, sitting, walking, rolling over in bed all can be a challenge after a few figure eights and jump squats and other such fun things with the kettlebell! :)
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Bump for reading later.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Ya I am looking at the Enter the Kettelbell DVD + Book.

Can anyone recommend a good set of kettlebells...they dont have to be top of the line but decent enough for home use.

I am probably gonna get a couple ranging from 15 - 45 lbs.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Ya I am looking at the Enter the Kettelbell DVD + Book.

Can anyone recommend a good set of kettlebells...they dont have to be top of the line but decent enough for home use.

I am probably gonna get a couple ranging from 15 - 45 lbs.

Not in the US, but whatever you do don`t get the vinyl ones...Too damn big.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Ditto the visit with a certified instructor. Even one session will teach you volumes about correct form. Safety first.

My opinion: stay away from Kettleworx. Proclaiming oneself "Mr Kettlebell" does not make one a qualified instructor.

Totally disagree with you about kettleworx....One workout off finishing the 1st 6 weeks...Loving every workout..A little repetitive, but gives me a full body workout in under 30 mins..
  • jakaske
    jakaske Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Definately need to go to a two or more classes with a CERTIFIED kettle bell trainer (RKC - I believe it's called "Russian Kettlebell Certified). I can't stress this enough - especially if you're looking at starting with those heavier weights. A class will give you many weights to try. It is different form than anything I've every done before. I've been doing kettle bells in "class" for a few months and have been working out for years...the instructors will save you from SERIOUS injury. It is a great workout - more strength than cardio, but still you get your heart going.

But.....good technique or you're guaranteed to get hurt.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I add kettlebells to my usual routine sometimes. No need to get all fancy, try subbing some of your usual run of the mill strength training exercises.

Goblet squats
    KB swings
    single legged deadlifts
    bicep curls
    one armed snatch (prefer the kb to a barbell anyday)
    turkish getups (ROUGH but so awesome)
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Ader makes good quality bells, as does Lifeline USA. I am partial to Dragon Door's products but they are pricey. The shipping is the killer with any of them. Check Craigslist, and you might also see if there is a Dragon Door distributor in your area.....saves the high shipping costs.
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I use Kettleworx and I love it! (Just had to throw my two cents in, haha) :smile: