Has anyone else developed creaky knees?

Options
Since I've started working out on a regular basis, my knees have started creaking worse than the floors in a 200 year old house. When I do any type of lunge or squat, the sound reverbs all the way through my body and up to my ears, and it's creeping me out.

Replies

• smelmel
    smelmel Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This started happening to me when I started hiking years ago.
    Then when I started going to gym I thought they were better but then I started doing squats at home and I realised I just couldn't hear them at the gym.
    There is no pain with mine so I didn't worry. I am on the xercise bike now so I don't hear them anymore but my thinking would be that the more muscle you build would only make it easier on your joints in the long run.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Yep, mine don't hurt either they are just loud. At first I was like "What is that noise" I realized it was me:laugh: I figured it was an age thing and I didn't notice it before because I never squatted.
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    That happened to me as well, when we were doing exercises, then my husband got worried and won't let me do anything that makes my knees make noise like that. Is there anything wrong?
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    nope nothing wrong with it from what I know.... my personal trainer a while back said that everyone creaks and groans like old houses. So... it's just your body doing your thing.. as long as there isn't any pain you're good!
  • SlimmingdownSusan
    Options
    Once when walking up some stairs, my husband wondered what he kept hearing...it was my knees! My creaky knees were actually diagnosed several years ago...chondromalacia patella, which is a softening of the cartilage under the knee cap. As others have stated, I too have no pain in my knees. If it ever got to that I would probably have to have surgery...something to restore the cartilage under my knee cap. My doc said the noise would probably never go away, but to keep it from getting worse I needed strong quads. So I try to keep up with the leg extensions and squats...anything to keep my thighs in good shape!
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Yes! The last time I was losing weight, I was walking and jogging a lot, and I couldn't walk up stairs without making popping and creaking noises. I'm not really fond of body sounds, so it felt pretty icky to me. I don't know what the solution is -- maybe more low impact exercise? Try taking glucosamine chondroitin for joint improvement? I don't think a knee brace or anything like that would be helpful.

If you find a solution, let us know!

-Alison
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Mine snap and pop when I workout. My hips do, too. I've always had problems with my knees though.
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    Strange! Mine used to creak and groan before I started making lifestyle changes (exercise). I guess my knees were just like old hinges and needed oiling :laugh:
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    my knees creak when i'm going DOWN STAIRS, unlike most of your replies.:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
    but they do not hurt at all.:happy: :happy: :happy:
    my fav cardo is stair CLIMBING, at the gym!
    and i jog, slowly, on weekends.

hope i'm not causing harm to myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    My knees have creaked for years. I have very physically demanding job and when I started working out more it went from just creaking and popping to pain and swelling. I went to the doctor and they found that I had weak cartiledge. Now I have to exercises to strengthen the knee to avoid further damage. Not saying this is what you are experiencing just keep an eye on it.
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    My knees have creaked for years. I have very physically demanding job and when I started working out more it went from just creaking and popping to pain and swelling. I went to the doctor and they found that I had weak cartiledge. Now I have to exercises to strengthen the knee to avoid further damage. Not saying this is what you are experiencing just keep an eye on it.

thank you for the tip bamarose:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    i'll try what i think are knee strengthening exercises.
    what kinda exercises do u do?

robin:heart:
  • BamaRose0107
    Options

thank you for the tip bamarose:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    i'll try what i think are knee strengthening exercises.
    what kinda exercises do u do?

robin:heart:

I do knee balancing exercises and alot of stretching mainly to strengthen the whole leg so there is not as much strain on my knee. I also found out ankle weights were a no no. I were the light weight shoes and no heels. Weightloss is the best thing I ever did for the pain though. I just wish I would have known all this before my knee got bad.