Just curious?

Options
How often do you weigh yourself? I weigh my self like 3 times a day and I'm thinking it's a little too much. I think maybe it's discouraging me because I gain a few pounds throughout the day and it makes me upset. What do you think?

Replies

• threeupthreedown
    Options
    Every morning.
    I weigh myself too many times.
    LOL!!!
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I know how attractive the scale can be- especially when you feel like your doing good.

It seems the common consensus on MFP is once a week, at the same time of day (preferably morning)
    because it gives you the most accurate reading
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Maybe 2-3 times a week.
  • PatB52
    PatB52 Posts: 65
    Options
    I know that it's recommended to weigh only once a week, but I'm another one that weighs once a day. I use what I see on Friday mornings as what I record.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I know that it's recommended to weigh only once a week, but I'm another one that weighs once a day. I use what I see on Friday mornings as what I record.

Ditto.
  • lastrobi
    lastrobi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    definately not more than twice a week. but if ur addicted, try doing it twice a week. but the morning is definately the best and accurate time. i usually pee when i wake up and then will way myself. that way everything from the day before is usually pretty much out of your system, and its a clean slate, does that make sense?
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Well, there are many different theories. Fact is that you will be at your lightest right after you wake up and pee, but before you shower. (You haven't eaten anything in several hours, and you've just gotten rid of quite a bit of water weight!) Your weight will fluctuate through out the day depending on how much you eat and drink and the clothes you are wearing.

Once a day is the most often that I would recommend. However, the best option is probably once every week or so. I admit that I weigh myself more frequently than that:blushing:, but I only record the weight on the morning of my weigh in day (Fridays). Everything else I count as "curiosity" and don't stress about it too much.

I know that some people recommend only weighing once a month for females because our cycle can wreck havoc. I would recommend weaning yourself off your "3 a day" habit and try to get down to just once a day. When you have THAT well under control, then you can start working on only 4 times a week, etc. (I'll admit it, I'm at a 4 times a week habit, but I'm working on it!)

Don't let the numbers discourage you. Pay more attention to how your clothes fit. That pair of jeans that used to be too tight if you had to sit down for extended periods, can you now wear them with out a second thought? Even if the numbers haven't changed, that means you're losing fat (but have replaced it with muscle, which burns more calories!).

Chin up! You can do this!:flowerforyou:
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    When I first started, I weighed myself a few times a day. Now it's been about 7 weeks, and I weigh maybe 2-3 times a week with my "real" weigh day on Saturday morning. Usually when I weigh in the middle of the week, it's just to see how drinking more water or eating more sodium is affecting my weight. Ultimately, I'd like to weigh once a month, but I don't know if I have the patience to wait more than a week to see some results.

Whatever you settle on, it just has to be right for you. Enough to provide motivation and feedback, but not so much that you get obsessed with the number.

Good luck finding a good balance.

-Alison
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    Totally too much! I have read billions of diet books, and they all tell you the same thing. Weigh yourself once a week, the same day and the same time. I weigh in every Friday after going pee in the morning. Any little thing you eat or do during the day can make it fluctuate. At this point, I don't need the added discouragement.
  • xeniasimms
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself more than once a day! In the morning before you eat, after you use the bathroom, naked. Any other weight throughout the day is inaccurate and will only discourage you!
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    I weigh myself a couple of times a day, and each time i see a different reading :grumble:

But I only consider my weekly weigh-in on Saturday mornings, first thing in the morning, after peeing, before shower, and naked :wink:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Once a week. A healthy weightloss process will work off of the average calorie defecit of a couple of days, rather than a day-to-day basis, and you'd be losing so little day-to-day that it wouldn't show up. The fluctuations you are seeing are from the water and food you consume, both of which your body needs to survive. Pick a day of the week as your weigh-in day and pick a consistent time of day. In the morning right after eliminating is best because then the weight is all you, not all breakfast.

I'm a little concerned because unless you're pretty short, your goal weight is very low, and honestly you look gorgeous in your profile picture so I can't quite figure you out.
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I weight myself once a week, Friday morning. Weight flexuates to much, so I look forward to the surprise on Friday, it also makes me want to do better.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily first thing in the morning, but I only log Friday's weight.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

Ditto!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Once a month. Weight is only part of it. For me I look at inches lost and fat percent lost.