Zucchini and Carrot Pancakes, Delish!

Options
Jen_Jennings
Jen_Jennings Posts: 124 Member
Zucchini and Carrot Pancakes, Delish!

I made this recipe tonight. Saw it in the recipe forum yesterday and this is now a new FAVORITE. I tweaked the recipe a little (I used coconut oil vs pam spray) so my version with the oil is higher in calories than what is shown at the bottom of the recipe (which I copied from the forum). If you add oil make sure you account for that :) ALSO, I removed one of the whole eggs (it did call for 2 whole eggs) and used 2 egg whites instead.

I had 5 pancakes which came out to 122 calories (24.4 cals each) per the recipe builder for my version. The oil didn't make a difference taste wise that I could tell, I just dont like to fry using pam. Hate that chemically stuff.

Zucchini and carrot pancakes

Ingredients:

- 3 medium zucchini or yellow squash- about 3-4 cups worth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots- food processor :)
- 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites, beaten
- 2 Tablespoons of cornmeal or breadcrumbs
- Seasonings as desired: pepper, parsley, chives, cumin, dried onion flakes or chopped onion, hot pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, black pepper and dried chives. Season with anything you want.
- Pam buttered flavored spray, or you could use a teaspoon of oil. I used coconut oil which adds to the fat/calories.
Preparation:

1. Shred squash and mix with 1 teaspoon of salt. Transfer to a paper towel lined colander. Allow to sit for at least 45 minutes to draw moisture out. I used a tea towel and squeezed squash dry after an hour.
2. Shred carrots finely and set aside. If carrots seem dry, steam briefly in the microwave for 1 minute on HIGH
3. Squeeze extra moisture from zucchini and mix together with the carrots.
4. Add eggs, cornmeal or breadcrumbs and seasonings and mix well.
5. Heat a griddle and spray with cooking spray or use oil
6. Spoon about 2 Tablespoons of the zucchini batter onto the hot griddle press down to form a thin pancake.
7. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the mixture is set and the bottom is browned
8. Turn the pancakes over and continue cooking until the pancake is done and browned - approximately another 6 minutes.
9. Repeat with remaining batter.

Nutrition:
Calories: 387 - approximately 17 calories per 3 inch pancake (22 pancakes)
Sugar: 23
Carbs: 64
Protein: 22

Replies

• Aedrah
    Aedrah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Interesting - thanks for sharing!
    Bump for later!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    yum!
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks, these sound great!!!
  • Brodieno
    Brodieno Posts: 11
    Options
    Looks delicious. Like what you did with the egg whites and the spray substitute. Any way around the teaspoon of salt would make it perfect!!!! Great stuff.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    YUM!!
  • Jen_Jennings
    Options
    Looks delicious. Like what you did with the egg whites and the spray substitute. Any way around the teaspoon of salt would make it perfect!!!! Great stuff.

I think I'm going to try it without salt next time. It's used to sweat out the water from the squash but using the tea towel to give it a few good squeezes should be sufficient. I don't think it made a big difference taste wise either. You guys should totally make it! It's fantastic! I used this food chopper I have to cut up the carrots. I used baby carrots and those are hard to shred. I think using a food chopper or food processor is definitely the best idea. It's an easy recipe.
  • nortx
    nortx Posts: 130
    Options
    I'm so glad you like the recipe and tweaked it to serve your needs in the best way. That's great. Yes the salt is there to draw any bitterness and extra moisture out. It does make a difference - I tried. I found the carrots needed just a minute of steaming in the microwave to soften them up a bit.

This recipe is absolutely flexible and so many adaptations can be done. Add a little Parmesan for a completely different flavor.

Hope more people try this recipe and post how they liked it.

I have posted step-by-step pictures of this recipe if you would like to see: It is the seventh recipe down.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nortx

Enjoy:flowerforyou:
  • darkhakai
    Options
    Man I wish this site had a "favorite threads" section...this looks amazing!! *bookmarked!*
  • Jen_Jennings
    Options
    I'm so glad you like the recipe and tweaked it to serve your needs in the best way. That's great. Yes the salt is there to draw any bitterness and extra moisture out. It does make a difference - I tried. I found the carrots needed just a minute of steaming in the microwave to soften them up a bit.

This recipe is absolutely flexible and so many adaptations can be done. Add a little Parmesan for a completely different flavor.

Hope more people try this recipe and post how they liked it.

I have posted step-by-step pictures of this recipe if you would like to see: It is the seventh recipe down.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nortx

Enjoy:flowerforyou:

I thought about adding parm but wanted to stick to the recipe to start. That's too bad that the salt is needed. I've really tried to cut that down in my diet. This is a great recipe.
  • Jen_Jennings
    Options
    Man I wish this site had a "favorite threads" section...this looks amazing!! *bookmarked!*

I wish it did too. When I saw it last night I copied it to a word doc immediately and put it on my pinterest lol. this one wasn't getting away.
  • darkhakai
    Options

I wish it did too. When I saw it last night I copied it to a word doc immediately and put it on my pinterest lol. this one wasn't getting away.

Ooooh, are we allowed to ask for Pinterest accounts here? I'd love to repin it for safe keeping...!
  • Jen_Jennings
    Options

Ooooh, are we allowed to ask for Pinterest accounts here? I'd love to repin it for safe keeping...!

If you look above a few posts, the lady who posted it initially has a picture on her link that she provided, that's the one I pinned.
  • darkhakai
    Options

If you look above a few posts, the lady who posted it initially has a picture on her link that she provided, that's the one I pinned.

Thank you so much!! I'm fairly certain I found it. <3
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jen_Jennings
    Options

Thank you so much!! I'm fairly certain I found it. <3

Oh good, glad you found it. TIS TASTY! I was telling my husband last night after we ate them that I wished we had more squash in the house so I could make another batch. I'm certain I'd have eaten a full batch on my own last night had we had more squash lol.
  • Jen_Jennings
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

Love your Keeshonds! I had one yrs ago. Great dogs.
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Bump for later, sounds delish, can't wait to try it
  • Jen_Jennings
    Options
    It's very simple in taste if you don't season it up real well. Garlic powder and smoked paprika was a good add in for me (among other spices/herbs I used).
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I did something similiar to this last night. Very very good. I didn't have the carrots but its a good idea. Hint for those trying it, it can get pretty liquidy, I put mine in a collander so it could be draining extra liquid off.

I thought it might make a yummy gf pizza crust as I had chicken with spaghetti sauce on the side. So yummy.