Healthy fat options

Options
Hello,

Usually I'm pretty creative with my eating, but I'm having a hard time getting in my recommended fat without going way over on carbs or sodium. On days when I eat a lot of cheese, my fat is okay, but I don't really think it's healthy to load up on cheese every day. I also don't eat a lot of red meat, and rarely use more than a spray of olive oil for cooking. What are some creative healthy ways to add in fat without just adding empty calories?

Thanks in advance!

-Alison

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    How 'bout drinking a glass of whole milk with one of your meals? Beans have good fat, too, I think. So does fish. :)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Nuts!! Seriously - they're full of good fats and they make a great snack. I have a bag of unsalted almonds at home to use for snacks. Avocados are great, also, and they make a tasty addition to salads.
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    use a little olive oil and vinegar to dress your salads.

Flax Seed Meal is a great way to get healthy fat....you can add it to oatmeal, muffins, bread, pressty much anything...it also works as a replacement for oil or eggs in some recipes.

Quick things to add healthy fat

Avacados
    All Nuts-- Almonds are super good for you
    Salmon

You can also take an An Omega-3 Fish Oil capsule as a supplement
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    You could try almond butter as well, it is super delicious!
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Thanks! I will definitely add some of these to my grocery list this week!

-Alison
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Usually I'm pretty creative with my eating, but I'm having a hard time getting in my recommended fat without going way over on carbs or sodium. On days when I eat a lot of cheese, my fat is okay, but I don't really think it's healthy to load up on cheese every day. I also don't eat a lot of red meat, and rarely use more than a spray of olive oil for cooking. What are some creative healthy ways to add in fat without just adding empty calories?

Thanks in advance!

-Alison

Buy a tub of chocolate protein powder..Then you can mix a serving of peanut butter/almond butter in with a scoop of powder in a bowl with a little water. Mix in to a pudding consistency..You can also use this as a syrup on protein pancakes, waffles, french toast..Or icing on toast ect.. Also try a serving of PB/AB with greek yogurt and some splenda or stevia. Try these and I have a feeling you are getting in your daily healthy fats like clock work. LOL
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    cooking with olive oil! Nuts, avacado, salmon...
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    More great ideas! I've got a few of them on my grocery list for this week. I also have been trying to plan out my food the night before so I can try to add fat or take away carbs or sodium so things are more balanced. Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!