Healthy eating at Disney?

Options
We're staying for 3 nights and have the Disney dining plan which prepays for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. I've heard it's quite a bit of food since one appetizer, main course and dessert come with lunch and dinner... Aside from being aware of the quantity of food I'm eating does anyone have any tips of where I can get good quality (healthy) food? I have food allergies I'm dealing with and I know they'll try to accomidate those the best they can, but I won't really know how many calories I'm eating in a day.

Replies

• Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    Ha...this will be me in two weeks! If you go to allears.net, they have menus for every restaurant (quick service and sit down), so you can choose places in advance that have healthy options. There are tons of restaurants so you should be ok.

Edited for correct web address
  • tinyrah
    tinyrah Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm leaving for Sat for a week in Disney. We have the food plan as well. I know that Disney has been incorporating healthier options for their guests. I want to indulge but I don't want to go crazy either. My plan is to eat a healthy breakfast-fruit, yogurt, egg, etc. we usually skip lunch or use a snack point- more fruit, salads, etc. and then for dinner, eat what I want. I'll be walking A LOT, I might go to the gym while I'm there too so I think if I eat healthy all day and indulge one meal + all the exercise I should break even. I hope to come home without a gain.
    Did you make your reservations already? You have to do that.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I went to Disney for 5 days in June and did fine. Go to the buffets, you can choose what you want there, salad, salmon, etc. That damn dessert they include gets you, but I have to say I LOVED the chocolate mousse that they have everywhere. I ate it and logged it. Lunch was harder, I pretty much ate chicken caesar salad every day. I am paleo and eat no grains, and I was able to find something to eat everywhere. We just had 2 meals and a snack per day. If I had breakfast for a meal I had eggs, fruit, bacon. Have fun!

You are also walking or standing in line pretty much morning to night, at least I was. So you burn a ton of calories. And we also went swimming at the hotel, so lots of ways to burn it off.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Screw that. If I'm going to Disney, I'm eating all the things!!!! :devil:
  • jessimurph
    jessimurph Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Did you make your reservations already? You have to do that.

We're not going till early December, and I have made all the dining reservations already BUT right now I'm thinking I should be picking places that I know have healthier options. I'm going to keep researching and change some reservations.
  • jessimurph
    jessimurph Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I went to Disney for 5 days in June and did fine. Go to the buffets, you can choose what you want there, salad, salmon, etc. That damn dessert they include gets you, but I have to say I LOVED the chocolate mousse that they have everywhere. I ate it and logged it. Lunch was harder, I pretty much ate chicken caesar salad every day. I am paleo and eat no grains, and I was able to find something to eat everywhere. We just had 2 meals and a snack per day. If I had breakfast for a meal I had eggs, fruit, bacon. Have fun!

You are also walking or standing in line pretty much morning to night, at least I was. So you burn a ton of calories. And we also went swimming at the hotel, so lots of ways to burn it off.

I actually eat very similarly...mostly due to my sons allergies. No wheat, dairy or nuts and I stopped eating grains and just do quinoa now. I'd love to look at your diary the days you were there! I have never heard paleo until you wrote it. How did you decide to start eating that way?
  • gumbeaux58
    Options
    Don't worry too much about it. You will burn enough calories walking miles and miles to offset any indulgence. There are always a few healthy choices at most places anyway. You can look at the menus online before you go.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Allears.net has menus and a section on eating healthy at the World.

http://allears.net/din/dining.htm#diets

I hope this helps!

I'm going there in May (my SO's birthday) or October next year. I'm going to be worried, too, especially since I have a serious addiction to food from Mama Melrose's, Liberty Tree Tavern, and Whispering Canyon!
  • gumbeaux58
    Options
    Maybe you know already but be sure to make your reservations at the sit down restaurants at least a month in advance.
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Screw that. If I'm going to Disney, I'm eating all the things!!!! :devil:

That would be me.

I've only been to Disneyland Paris, and that was a long time ago. I seem to remember healthyish foods there. Salad and grilled chicken and whatnot. Of course, I was a kid and only wanted hot dog with sauerkraut for lunch, or chilli fries for dinner.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

I actually eat very similarly...mostly due to my sons allergies. No wheat, dairy or nuts and I stopped eating grains and just do quinoa now. I'd love to look at your diary the days you were there! I have never heard paleo until you wrote it. How did you decide to start eating that way?

I found out I have gluten intolerance. So, I was looking online for gluten free recipes and stumbled onto Paleo/Primal websites. I also read Wheat Belly and realized all the health issues I had could pretty much be traced to eating grains. I do eat some dairy though.

I just went back and looked at my food diary from that time. I guess the last few days I just added calories without putting down the exact food. Must have been the buffets, I just wrote like 800-1000 calories. But I usually just ate meat, they usually have some kind of salmon, and then a carving station with a few kinds of meat. Then whatever veggies looked best.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    We try to plan ahead when we go to Disney. You can find most of the menus online. If I'm going to have a dessert at a meal then I avoid going to the bakery. I also use my snacks for water or fruit. Disney has a ton of junk food but they also offer good choices. (salad, fresh fruit, veggies) When getting the dinning plan you get a lot of food! However you can also pick a good choice on the menu. I tend to take in a lot of calories at Disney but I walk 9-10 miles a day. I also still get my regular walks or runs in before I start my day.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    We just were there for a week, and honestly I didnt sweat the food a whole lot....We were walking so much I didnt worry about it.

At O'Hana, I ate the salad, and just a small piece of each of the meats they brought out.....but I ate a TON of the noodles, and the desert, OMG was to die for.

At the Hoop Dee Doo Review, I ate HALF a piece of fried chicken, some masked potatoes and some corn- small amounts of each....but I ate a ton of cornbread with honey butter :bigsmile:

I had the giant turkey leg one day for dinner!

We had two meals per day- either breakfast OR lunch, and dinner. We used the snack credits for water, bananas, oranges, or, in my case a few times, MICKEY HEAD RICE CRISPIE TREATS! LOL I had one Mickey head ice cream bar.

I drank water or plain iced tea with my meals.

I still lost some weight :drinker: