Feeling like I didn't earn it...

Options
I've been doing MFP for two weeks and LOVE it! I've lost 15 pounds and am worried about stalling out because I've lost too much too quick. I have a lot to lose, so I'm in this for the long haul. Do people usually lose quite a bit right away?

Replies

• ChrystalDutton
    ChrystalDutton Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    yes it is common to have big numbers at the start and have smaller ones as time goes on! Pay more attention to the way your clothes are fitting and how you feel overall... those are better indicaters of how well you are doing!
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual to lose a lot of weight quickly at the beginning, especially if you have a lot to lose. It will most likely slow down over time, but try not to get discouraged about it. You may plateau, you may even gain some weeks. Just stick with healthy eating and exercising, and you will be successful!
    It took me about 15 months to lose the weight I lost. For the most part, I've kept it off for about five years. I've gained some back, and am trying to lose the majority of what I did gain. (Lost 70, was probably too light, gained about 20, would like to lose 10 again now). Even with the weight gain, I'm at a healthy BMI, and I haven't had to go up in clothes sizes, so that's good. And like I said, many people have told me I was probably too thin at my lowest.
    Good luck! Stick with it!
    Kaye
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot the first couple weeks too. I've read many others say the same thing. It's not unusual. Some of it is water weight, some is the sudden change in diet. It should moderate. Make sure you do eat enough to keep your metabolism working normally - it will take time and patience. Good luck.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I cut out beer and soda cold turkey...ridiculous, immediate weight loss, like 4 or 5 lbs in a week. Now i am losing 1-2 lbs a week by trying to stay active, and by rigorously logging every single thing I eat, and trying to be a few cals short of my daily goal.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've been doing MFP for two weeks and LOVE it! I've lost 15 pounds and am worried about stalling out because I've lost too much too quick. I have a lot to lose, so I'm in this for the long haul. Do people usually lose quite a bit right away?

I lost about that much in the first 2 weeks, and no, the fast pace didn't last. There's a pronounced dog's leg in the data marking the point where I'd gotten rid of the excess water weight. But I didn't stall out. I continued to lose fat at probably about the same rate, just without all the water.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yes - You always lose more at the start because your body is shocked into weight loss or a new life change, it will soon adjust and numbers will get smaller each week - and you will start to learn when you need to change up routine either with food or gym etc to kick start it again. Ive lost in total 2 and a half stone unfortunately I gained some of that back when I took a knee injury (still waiting for mri scan results and surgery) but in the last 2 weeks alone have lost 9lbs because I changed things up. Feel free to add me and we can help eachother out :)