calories and exercise calculator

Options
2»

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Calories burned through exercise should be seen as a benefit towards quicker weight loss. We should not be rewarding ourselves with additional food because we've walked on a treadmill. When you reach your ideal weight, exercise is great because you can eat the additional calories burned...until then ...exercise is used to quicken weight loss efforts.

Quick weight loss is not always good weight loss. The goal should be a healthy rate of FAT loss. Too large a deficit is not compatible with that goal in mind.
  • Brodieno
    Brodieno Posts: 11
    Options
    Look at how many calories you need to just maintain your current weight. To lose weight either have to consume less calories (eat less) or burn them off through activity, but you can only go so low for any length of time without creating health issues for yourself.

Nutritionists I've talked to recommend that weight loss of a pound or two per week is a safe target which translates into 3,500 - 7,000 calories or on average losing 500 - 1,000 per day. So if your BMR is 2200 and you want to lose weight you need to decide how fast and how you want to do it i.e.. diet or exercise or hopefully a combination of the two for the best results.

Those calories your burning by doing exercises all go into the weight loss equation. Nothing gained if you replace them and secondly it means you'll have to diet harder and longer to achieve your goals.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    its a big topic on here whether or not to eat exercise cals - Im in the mindset that I dont eat them back, for one the diet I have on 1350 cals a day is enough and I dont stick to meal times anymore I just prepare food and eat when Im hungry not because the clock says its 6pm! To eat an extra 500 cals back on top would just make me sick! Also I dont see the point in exercising only to lose the cals Ive worked off - but its a topic thats all down to personal opinion and a topic that will remain on here forever I think!
  • evil_charmer
    Options
    I dont ever eat back my.exercise calories and ive.never heard of doing that bedore i came on here. My calories.expended by exercise.are.part.of.my.deficit. My.bmr adjusted for.my.lifestyle is roughly 2250 so only allow myself 1500cals a day plus i burn almist 500calls thru exercise 3 tyms a week. That mean my.deficit per week is roughky 7000 cals which translate to 2lbs a week weight loss for the week as a lb of fat translate to about 3500cals on average
  • fortyonetogo
    Options
    I do know that if
    i eat too few calories then your metabolism will slow. I was concerned that with my daily calorie goal being 1440 and I exercised to earn 600 calories extra that if I didn't eat those then my body would start holding onto the calories because I wasn't getting enough. If I have 1440 calories to use for the day and exercise away 600 of those then I've technically only consumed 840 calories for the day, and I've always heard that I should never expect my body to run on less than 1,000 calories per day if I don't want it to go into starvation mode.
  • kmyrs
    kmyrs Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of opinions on it. I "bank" under eaten calories for a day when I can use them later for extra. I think Weight Watchers teaches you that you can bank now and spend later. At the end of the week, you still average out the calorie limit per day.

Secondly, I wondered the same thing, which was, shouldn't I deduct exercise burn from the 1200 limit instead of add calories to the limit? I thought about it and figured out that when I set my goal with MyFitnessPal as to how many calories I should net a day, the calorie goal was based on on daily work lifestyle; i.e. desk job versus a physical labor job. So according to them, I should meet my goal at 1200 a day with a desk job and no exercise, that's why you get bonus calories for exercise. Conversely, if you use a standard calorie calculator such as the Harris-Benedict formula, you calculate in your average weekly exercise activity and the intensity and it adds that calorie burn to your BMR (base metabolic rate) which gives you more calories per day. In essence, same difference.
  • kmyrs
    Options
    Sorry, trying to figure out how to post to the main page.
  • kmyrs
    Options
    Sorry!
  • kmyrs
    Options
    I give up. I'm trying to "reply" to the whole page and not just your post. :tongue:
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I'm a registered dietitian who works in weight management. Please DO NOT eat the calories burned through exercise. It really negates the purpose of exercising for weight loss. With that said, I wouldn't go less than a net of 1000 calories per day for more than 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, you'll start losing muscle which will slow your metabolic rate. BTW- try to eat something with 15 grams of protein and 15 grams carbohydrates within 45 minutes after a workout. It helps with recovery and you'll achieve better long-term results.

To the poster of this, you do realize the eat 1,000 burn a 1000 crowd is going to take that as gospel and only read the first sentence, :)
  • Big_Daddy6
    Big_Daddy6 Posts: 188
    Options
    The calorie number by your name on your home page needs to be as close to zero as you can. It adjusts based on your activity for the day.

As close to zero as you can and you should loose the amount of weight you entered when you first set up your account.....1lb, 2lb ect.