Vegetarians Protein Suggestions

Options
lyttlewon
lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
I am not technically a vegetarian, but I am not a huge meat eater. I have a hard time meeting my protein goals for the day. I don't really eat a lot of dairy. Can you give me some suggestions of what to eat to boost my protein levels? Recipes are also welcome.

Replies

• splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    greek yoghurt and eggs?
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes, cottage cheese, nuts, beans
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you getting?

Beans and lentils are a big protein source for myself. I also eat tempeh and some tofu. Quinoa is also a good source.

And really, unprocessed food will have some protein in it so eating a variety of foods helps.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Protein can be hard to meet!

Legumes, such as black beans/white beans White beans are popular in Italian dishes.
    A black bean salad can go far. if you can do well with Tuna/salmon (canned or otherwise) it can also boost your numbers.

chili, most mexican foods
    bean salads. lentil soup, great with spinach.

Try this;

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

If you're not familiar with canned beans, make sure you thoroughly rinse them, and pink kidney beans cause less stomach issue than the dark red ones.

Good luck!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Beans and lentils are a big protein source for myself. I also eat tempeh and some tofu. Quinoa is also a good source.

And really, unprocessed food will have some protein in it so eating a variety of foods helps.

About 50-60 g on average. Tonight I had quinoa mac n cheese for dinner that was 15g of protein. I have been trying to drink a protein shake every day but they are kind of sweet. If I remember to do that I get into the 70-80 range.
  • drosser9
    Options
    I make myself a fruit smoothie every day or so with genisoy soy protein power made from soybeans. 25 grams of complete protein per serving.

http://www.genisoy.com/Natural-Soy-Protein-Powder/p/GEN-041504&c=Genisoy@Shakes
  • goodbyerachel
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for five years and yeah, finding protein sucks! I do greek yogurt, protein powder, eggs (Fake eggs from Costco - 30 cal and 6g protein! YAY), low fat cheese, tofu and I am trying out tofu meat products (tofurkey, tofu dogs, fake sausage - I am vegetarian because I don't like the taste of meat so this kind of sucks but they are so high in protein and low carbs/fat...)
    The past week I just started focusing on protein more and am not getting twice as much as I used to and it keeps me full and my carb intake down!
  • goodbyerachel
    Options

About 50-60 g on average. Tonight I had quinoa mac n cheese for dinner that was 15g of protein. I have been trying to drink a protein shake every day but they are kind of sweet. If I remember to do that I get into the 70-80 range.

Also! I was getting 50 - 60g daily because that was the MFP goal but working out and keeping healthy I've been told I should be AT LEAST 100 if not more. So FYI I do think these goals are pretty low :\
  • Sarah_Super
    Sarah_Super Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Beans, beans and more beans! Kidney, pinto and soybeans have loads of protein, and chickpeas and lentils are packed with it. Tofu has lots, and my american friends tell me seitan is pretty good too ... sadly none of that in the UK :(

I try and drink a veggie protein shake daily, made with soya milk for extra protein.

It's really not that difficult to meet 70-80g a day on a healthy veggie/vegan diet - and don't forget that the amount you need depends on your weight. The only thing I worry about not getting enough of is B12!
  • melissamannix
    Options
    red kidney beans, cannelini beans,lentils,chickpeas, tofu, eggs, or buy a box of protein bars. thee should not replace a proper meal tho! only a snack
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Beans, beans and more beans! Kidney, pinto and soybeans have loads of protein, and chickpeas and lentils are packed with it. Tofu has lots, and my american friends tell me seitan is pretty good too ... sadly none of that in the UK :(

I try and drink a veggie protein shake daily, made with soya milk for extra protein.

It's really not that difficult to meet 70-80g a day on a healthy veggie/vegan diet - and don't forget that the amount you need depends on your weight. The only thing I worry about not getting enough of is B12!

Seitan is available at places like Whole Foods and Planet Organic, and smaller health food shops.

Even meat eaters probably aren't getting enough B12 these days because everything is so highly processed. Buy supplements from your health food shop, easy!
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    jacket potatoes are pretty good.. one of my fave meals is a jacket potato with a little can of baked beans on top and a slice of light cheese.
  • Ravikanth77
    Ravikanth77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try 2 eggs daily (only whites) which contains rich sources of protein.
  • Sarah_Super
    Sarah_Super Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Seitan is available at places like Whole Foods and Planet Organic, and smaller health food shops.

Even meat eaters probably aren't getting enough B12 these days because everything is so highly processed. Buy supplements from your health food shop, easy!

Really? I've never seen it in whole foods in the UK =/

I buy the yeast flakes with extra B12, and take supplements, but generally thats the only thing I worry about in terms of being veggie and missing out on anything.
  • Lina4Lina
    Options

Although I don't eat a lot of seitan, it is also ridiculously easy to make. I should make some soon because it is pretty filling.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    The problem is probably any processed or refined foods you're consuming which do not contain protein. If you cut those out, and replace with beans, vegetables, and fruits, you should get enough protein without a problem, as all whole plant food contains protein.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes, cottage cheese, nuts, beans

About the best you are going to do. Without dairy, fish or meat, beans are the greatest source. You can try eggs, seitan, quinoa, and broccoli.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I would check out Indian, Mediterranean, & Vietnamese/Japanese/Thai cuisine on Allrecipes.com. They have A LOT of vegeteranian options for you. If you're looking for a snack option: yogurt, baked lentil chips, fruit, vegetables with hummus ..
  • Lina4Lina
    Options

Really? I've never seen it in whole foods in the UK =/

I buy the yeast flakes with extra B12, and take supplements, but generally thats the only thing I worry about in terms of being veggie and missing out on anything.

I'm guessing the UK is similar but vitamin D deficiency is becoming a major concern in the US. This isn't just for vegetarians as the food sources of vitamin D are rarely eaten by the population as a whole. I'd also make sure you supplement with vitamin D. I'm actually pretty lax with B12 supplementation but my vitamin B12 levels get tested yearly and come back in the average/above average range. It is vitamin D that I tested on the low end of normal. I definitely try to stay on top of vitamin D as well.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes. And Quorn products - they're meatless and soy-free.