Atkins Diet

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Good idea or bad?

I don't get it, you've done it before! Shouldn't you know exactly what it's all about?

And how it works for you, personally?

Maybe I'm confused about what you're asking!

I was kind of thinking the same thing.

I lived the Atkins Lifestyle for almost 7 years (until a bad car accident). It works if you follow the plan and eat whole foods.

Stay away from the products, shakes and other processed crap.

Read the book again, clear you pantry and refridgerator of all the crap food and stock with fresh meats, eggs, cheese and green leafy vegetales.

Make your own mayonnaise and salad dressings and hop back on the wagon.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Atkins... the diet that looks as a quarter pounder with cheese and says "Ah ha! The bread, lettuce and tomato is what made me fat"

All joking aside, the diet plan depends on what your personal goals are.

It is NOT recommended for ANY athlete, and is also ill advised for any regular joe with weekly physical activities. It is best done by couch potatoes that still want to lose some weight (nothing wrong with manning the most important seat in the house!).

The main benefits from Atkins is initially from the low carb (first week or so excessive water loss, not fat loss).

From there, the reduced carb FORCES increased protein (which is a corner stone for ANY weight loss diet). It is not the reduced carb that aids in weight loss, but the increased protein.

There hasn't been much in the way of research showing heart issues, but your kidneys will have to work overtime all the time. This can have an adverse effect on long term kidney health.

So, if you HATE fruits and vegetables, do not like exercise, this diet can work very well for you.

Well, you obviously know so much about the Atkins Lifestyle that you wrote an entire MYTH and outright LIE about the plan.

Guess what??????????//

On Atkins you eat PLENTY OF VEGETABLES. Guess what???????/ YOU ADD BACK IN FRUIT

GUESS WHAT???????????? YOU WILL EVENTUALLY ADD BACK IN GRAINS, LEGUMES, DAIRY AND STARCHY VEGETABLES.

I hate when people comment on things they know NOTHING about.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    OK, my opinion - if you were on it once and lost - that's GREAT... However, you went off it and gained the weight back? Gotta say something about the diet. I did Atkins, and lost a lot, too, but found it too restricting. Got off it and gained MOST my weight back.

Any diet you choose, should be one you can do with the rest of your life, whether it be Atkins, WW, Southbeach, or what ever, it's got to be something that you can do for a lifetime, not a temporary fix...

I've found that watching my calories, and eating what I want (in moderation) has worked for me, and will continue working for me the rest of my life. :wink:
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Well, you obviously know so much about the Atkins Lifestyle that you wrote an entire MYTH and outright LIE about the plan.

Guess what??????????//

On Atkins you eat PLENTY OF VEGETABLES. Guess what???????/ YOU ADD BACK IN FRUIT

GUESS WHAT???????????? YOU WILL EVENTUALLY ADD BACK IN GRAINS, LEGUMES, DAIRY AND STARCHY VEGETABLES.

Sigh, you fail at reading comprehension.

1. Of course it has some fruits and vegetables.

2. It DOES limit those. I have yet to see an atkins diet state to eat 60% of your calories in vegetables and fruits.

3. "Plenty" in your terms does not seem to match reality.

Do not try reading into things too much, you generally find things that are not there when you immediately grasp for straws.

If he lives a sedentary life style and already has an aversion to most carbs, then the atkins diet, or any low carb diet, will work well for him. As I said.

Sheesh, rabid fanboys...
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see an atkins diet state to eat 60% of your calories in vegetables and fruits.
    The current price of tea in China is: $ 24975.4/metric ton.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see an atkins diet state to eat 60% of your calories in vegetables and fruits.

:laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was on it and lost quite a bit of weight. I'm tempted to go back. Good idea or bad?

I would first ask yourself why you need to do it again. If it had anything to do with the restrictive nature of the diet, then it's a bad idea. In other words, if you are not prepared to follow this diet forever, it's probably not best to do it short term.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Guess what??????????//

2. It DOES limit those. I have yet to see an atkins diet state to eat 60% of your calories in vegetables and fruits.

Do not try reading into things too much, you generally find things that are not there when you immediately grasp for straws.

If he lives a sedentary life style and already has an aversion to most carbs, then the atkins diet, or any low carb diet, will work well for him. As I said.

Sheesh, rabid fanboys...

I LIVED THE LIFESTYLE MYSELF FOR MORE THAN 7 YEARS. I know this plan inside and out. I ate more than 8 servings of vegetables EVERYDAY. Then I added in some fruits for dessert.

For Phase 1, this is the strictest phase that lasts for only 2 weeks, you eat protein, fat and green leafy vegetables and eat until you are full.

If you have read any BOOKS about the plan you would know it is recommended that you snack on fresh, raw vegetables, which ups your servings of vegetables right there.

I am not reading anything into your comment. It is straight forward, so no need to read anything into it.

You posted an outright LIE about a plan that has helped many, many people to live a HEALTHY, WHOLE FOODS LIFESTYLE!!!

And for the record, I am no fanboy......................I am a grown woman.
  • DanaDark
    Options

The important question of the day is where can you BUY a metric ton of tea directly from China!

But otherwise, my statement is still relevant. What is the most relevant is that the OP realizes that any particular diet plan is POINTLESS unless it is one he can stick with for life. Finding a diet composition that suits his lifestyle and desires is what will result in meaningful long term goals.

Despite how we may feel, Bruce's "Fish Are Friends" diet plan in Nemo will not get him to his weight loss goals. Diet adherence is the #1 important thing.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Guess what??????????//

Sheesh, rabid fanboys...

I LIVED THE LIFESTYLE MYSELF FOR MORE THAN 7 YEARS. I know this plan inside and out. I ate more than 8 servings of vegetables EVERYDAY. Then I added in some fruits for dessert.

For Phase 1, this is the strictest phase that lasts for only 2 weeks, you eat protein, fat and green leafy vegetables and eat until you are full.

If you have read any BOOKS about the plan you would know it is recommended that you snack on fresh, raw vegetables, which ups your servings of vegetables right there.

I am not reading anything into your comment. It is straight forward, so no need to read anything into it.

You posted an outright LIE about a plan that has helped many, many people to live a HEALTHY, WHOLE FOODS LIFESTYLE!!!

That must be why they sell Atkins bars and nutritional shakes, cause those are whole foods, right?

And please, you castigating someone for outright lies? LMAO
  • hmm33502
    hmm33502 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    As a biased opinion I'd say go simple low carb - less than 100g of carbohydrates a day. Keep your fat intake up as well as your protein. You'll naturally eat the amount of calories you're supposed to.

To keep it simple: no sugar, no refined carbohydrates, lots of green leafy vegetables, fruit in moderation, heaps of fat and protein.

Go for it!!

^^ this :)

Ditto.....this is pretty much what Dukan is about....but eat some fish, it's good for you!
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

The important question of the day is where can you BUY a metric ton of tea directly from China!

But otherwise, my statement is still relevant. What is the most relevant is that the OP realizes that any particular diet plan is POINTLESS unless it is one he can stick with for life. Finding a diet composition that suits his lifestyle and desires is what will result in meaningful long term goals.

Despite how we may feel, Bruce's "Fish Are Friends" diet plan in Nemo will not get him to his weight loss goals. Diet adherence is the #1 important thing.

for the record, I agree that protein % is important to a lot of folks for weight loss. I personally like 30%-40% protein in my diet. I go well over my fiber totals on usually around or less than 200g carbs/day. I eat foods similar to the foods the Atkins diet maintenance diet recommends.

If you do the diet like the book describes, it's not what people think and isn't terrible. Almost no one does the maintenance right though.
  • DanaDark
    Options

1. 7 years and you're still on MFP with weight loss goals? Sounds like a super good working plan there tiger.

2. Define "many", I want an exact number, not a completely vague term. To some, many can be just 2. Don't spout out numeric definitions without having the numbers to back them up.

3. And I didn't post any lie thank you. It is lower in fruits and vegetables than the recommended diet provided by the FDA and Department of Health.

4. You also seem to think I said it doesn't work. I outlined the type of people it works BEST for. As I noted the main issue of dietary adherence being much more important than only simple composition.

5. A grown woman should be able to recognize where the caps lock is, it is a pretty large button relative to the rest of the keyboard.
  • hmm33502
    hmm33502 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    As a biased opinion I'd say go simple low carb - less than 100g of carbohydrates a day. Keep your fat intake up as well as your protein. You'll naturally eat the amount of calories you're supposed to.

To keep it simple: no sugar, no refined carbohydrates, lots of green leafy vegetables, fruit in moderation, heaps of fat and protein.

Go for it!!

^^ this :)

Ditto.....this is pretty much what Dukan is about....but eat some fish, it's good for you! Except for the heaps of fat, the focus is on lean protein....and LOTS of Veggies, but no starchy veggies.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    The first thing you should do (in my humble opinion) is do away with any notion that this, or anything else you do, is simply a "diet". For you to be successful it needs to be a lifestyle change. A change in the way you think about food, personal health and exercise. It's all connected. If you can live on the Atkins plan and it works for you then by all means, go for it.

My personal experience with the Atkins "diet" was that it worked great for the first 3 months and then I got sick. I was constantly nauseated, in the bathroom and had zero energy. I added back carbs and felt much better. My body did not like it at all. But that's just me. I have heard of it working very well for certain people. Just stay away from the gimmicky crap they try and sell you.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Atkims made me feel greasy lol! And I can't sustain it so, I dropped it.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    You can lose weight on Atkins quite well, but the long term health is not so good.
    I did Atkins twice, with short term success.

Look into Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman. I've been doing it for the past 6 weeks and have lost 28 lbs since starting. It's also extremely healthy in the long term. Worth checking out at least.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Why does anyone have to choose a dieting method that they can "live with forever" ? Having learned their lesson I don't see why someone might use one technique to lose 50 lbs of excess fat in say 12 months and then adopt a different technique for maintenance.
  • DanaDark
    Options
    The first thing you should do (in my humble opinion) is do away with any notion that this, or anything else you do, is simply a "diet". For you to be successful it needs to be a lifestyle change. A change in the way you think about food, personal health and exercise. It's all connected. If you can live on the Atkins plan and it works for you then by all means, go for it.

My personal experience with the Atkins "diet" was that it worked great for the first 3 months and then I got sick. I was constantly nauseated, in the bathroom and had zero energy. I added back carbs and felt much better. My body did not like it at all. But that's just me. I have heard of it working very well for certain people. Just stay away from the gimmicky crap they try and sell you.

This. Definitely.

Stick to your plan. Make it a lifestyle change. Avoid gimicky stuff (if the food as atkins on the label, run away). And adjust according to your body. Fat loss should NOT make you feel excessively tired, cranky, or other adverse health effects.

And yes, all diet plans can work for people that are already inclined to lean that way naturally.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight on Atkins quite well, but the long term health is not so good.
    I did Atkins twice, with short term success.

Look into Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman. I've been doing it for the past 6 weeks and have lost 28 lbs since starting. It's also extremely healthy in the long term. Worth checking out at least.
    I bought that quacks book, mostly out of curiosity. I want my money back. I knew better too.