THATS IT! I'm going full bore

Options

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I'd say do fewer exercises and work them more like you'd work your legs...there are a variety of muscle groups there but they all do almost the exact same thing--pull your ribs down toward your pelvis. You don't need 14 different exercises for that. You just need a few weighted ones that bring you to failure.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'd say do fewer exercises and work them more like you'd work your legs...there are a variety of muscle groups there but they all do almost the exact same thing--pull your ribs down toward your pelvis. You don't need 14 different exercises for that. You just need a few weighted ones that bring you to failure.

too late, I was already gone to the gym before you replied. it was pretty good though, although I think you're right, I need to do less resting in the middle, about half way through, I realized that I didn't need 30 seconds between if I was going to switch up between obliques and abs, so I did the rest without the rest, which allowed me to do about 20 reps on the crunch machine with max weight, and some overhand grip pull ups.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Just tagging for later... looks good, Banks! :flowerforyou:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kholmes
    kholmes Posts: 214
    Options
    thanks for the routine banks. maybe I will give this a try too.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Hey Banks, just wondering how it's going for you so far? Well, I hope! :smile:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Go Banks! You need to post progress pics so everyone can see if your plan worked!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    It's going, it'll be a few weeks before results are noticeable though. Oh it'll work Nich0le! trust me, it will. But it'll take some time!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    ok so that was a rough one. after 16 minutes of tabata protocol. Ten minutes of hardcore abs really hurts. BUT, I'm happy to say after only one week, I can already see a difference in my abs. This really is working.:tongue:
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    ok so that was a rough one. after 16 minutes of tabata protocol. Ten minutes of hardcore abs really hurts. BUT, I'm happy to say after only one week, I can already see a difference in my abs. This really is working.:tongue:

Congrats on the progress so far. You will be a lean and mean machine in no time.:wink:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

I SHOULD be by now. I've been studying for it for what seems like forever now. I was planning on taking it in August, but work got really busy so I was side tracked, my new goal is to review and maybe get it some time in January when I think that work will be slower. Right now I'm swamped with work stuff so it's just not an option. Heck, I haven't even gotten around to renewing my CPR certificate, which is expired. Frustrating, but I'll get there...eventually.

Good for you!! I just got certified through AFAA and just finished my CPR. I'll check out your ab routine, I'm always in for new ab moves!!! :happy:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Well, after a 6 day vacation, I took 3 days off from working out. Bad, I know, but not horrible, I was doing unusual work around the house this weekend, I built a new storage shelf for our bins, and that meant moving about 60 30 to 50 lb bins around after, which took about 45 minutes, so while not as productive as a real workout, it was something over and above regular daily activity, so that's cool.
    So today I'm back to the grind (both for work, and my workouts), and I'm excited to get there. I need to do some serious weight training as I haven't done any real weight training since last tuesday, I have some guilt over that, but I'll get over it. Today I'm going to work my abs ragged! Weighted sit ups, exercise ball knee (only) balances, oblique twists, hanging knee ups, bicycle crunches...etc. the whole 9 yards. Add that with chest, arms, and shoulders that I'll do, and you have a really sore Steve at the end of the day I imagine! :bigsmile:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    well, since people wanted it, I'm putting out the routine I came up with, there are lots more, and I'll switch it up after about 2 weeks or so, but this is what I'm going to do. It's actually 21 minutes long if you count the 30 seconds rest between each one. Here are the 12 routines. Add about 10 minutes of moderate cardio (5 minutes to warm up, 5 minutes to cool down) and you have a nice little 30 minute workout that should burn 250 to 300 calories.

REMEMBER, FORM IS CRUTIAL!!!!!!!

Here's the routine I'm doing (30 seconds rest between each one):

-Hip raises - minute
    -Exercise ball crunches (balancing your back on the ball, not the one with the ball between your legs) - 1 minute
    -Fingers to heel - 1 minute each side
    -Decline crunches - 1 minute
    -Dumbell crunches - 1 minute
    -Kneeling plate (or dumbell, or kettle bell) twist - 1 minute each direction
    -Hanging knee raises - 1 minute
    -Legs on ball crunch - 1 minute
    -Side crunches - 1 minute each side
    -Reverse crunches - 1 minute
    -Butt raises - 1 minute
    -dumbbell side bends - 1 minute each side

so that's about 14 minutes of actual work being done, should be a nice (and painful :tongue: ) routine.

I just did a modified version of this, but with sets of 15 push-ups inbetween.

I think I'm going to be sore in the morning.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    nice. It's a little rough, not horrible, I've actually modified it a little to make it harder, but it's a good routine.
  • breezy81
    breezy81 Posts: 186
    Options
    just tagging for later!
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    This looks like it would be a killer ab routine! Will certainly be 'stealing' this one! ;)
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Banks, I know you mentioned that this is not "beginner" ab work...

What ab workouts would you recommend that will are beginner, but will also kick my @$$?

I used to have decent abs, but not anymore:sad: ... I'm always looking for new things to try.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

What ab workouts would you recommend that will are beginner, but will also kick my @$$?

I used to have decent abs, but not anymore:sad: ... I'm always looking for new things to try.

you don't really need to get fancy with abs. A basic crunch (or better yet bicycle crunch), leg lift, and oblique twist workout is fine, do each to failure. The reason why I do this advanced one is because, well, you kind of get bored with those after a while, and these do a little better at isolating the specific small muscle groups, absolutely unnecessary for most though, unless you're really trying to make your abs say NO MAS! :)
  • iRun4wine
    Options

you don't really need to get fancy with abs. A basic crunch (or better yet bicycle crunch), leg lift, and oblique twist workout is fine, do each to failure. The reason why I do this advanced one is because, well, you kind of get bored with those after a while, and these do a little better at isolating the specific small muscle groups, absolutely unnecessary for most though, unless you're really trying to make your abs say NO MAS! :)

Thanks. In the past I always had decent luck/results with some basic exercises but so my has been brought to light lately about how "ineffective" the basic crunch is compared to some more *fancy* exercises. I know from my own experience that the crunch is NOT ineffective, but thought maybe other routines were more effective for the amount of time they take. In other words, I didn't know if I was getting the most bang for my buck!

Thanks for the advice!

P.S. Are you too counting down the days til Opening Day at Fenway? :love: I'm getting itchy already... this off season stuff sucks :frown:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Thanks. In the past I always had decent luck/results with some basic exercises but so my has been brought to light lately about how "ineffective" the basic crunch is compared to some more *fancy* exercises. I know from my own experience that the crunch is NOT ineffective, but thought maybe other routines were more effective for the amount of time they take. In other words, I didn't know if I was getting the most bang for my buck!

Thanks for the advice!

P.S. Are you too counting down the days til Opening Day at Fenway? :love: I'm getting itchy already... this off season stuff sucks :frown:

Ha! with the way the pats are playing? February 17th, pitchers and catchers report!