Older, fat, nurse looking for friends for health journey

Options
I am a 56-year-old nurse who wants to get in shape and find mental, physical, and emotional balance. I tend to put others first and have decided that I need to give myself some TLC now. I have lost 37 pounds but need to lose an additional 100 pounds. I just started exercising and realize just how out of shape I am. ( I sound like a little train puffing up the hill.) :) I could really use some supportive friends for the journey. Thank you.

Replies

• DeniseCole5
    DeniseCole5 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, i have just started and need all the help too. I am 51 years and work as a Psychiatric staff nurse and shift patterns and no breaks at times leads to erratic meal times.
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am a nurse also. I feel like I owe it to my patients to be a good role model for better health. If you are looking for more friends feel free to add me.
  • kaatielove
    kaatielove Posts: 113
    Options
    Critical care nurse.. my problem, I just encountered it.... 4am lunch break consisting of peanut butter & jelly and coffee.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Ah yes...but what did that little train keep saying?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

"I think I can"

"I think I can"

"I think I can"

"I think I can"

........and it did. Go 'head...add me if you'd like....we can make this long journey together. Im almost your age and have 100 to lose give or take
  • Bassgirl51
    Bassgirl51 Posts: 117
    Options
    Well count me in too!!! I am a nurse also. I am in decent shape but fading fast. The years of walking the floors has taken a toll on my knees and back. Recently diagnosed with osteopenia in my spine. No wonder my back hurts all the time.

My goal is to get rid of the "menopot," strengthen my spine, and to be able to take care of myself when I am older. I do not want to be like so many of my patients, who can't move in bed without help.

It is well documented that nurses are caretakers and will put others, and other things, ahead of their own well being.

Not anymore. At my age (52) I have to take care of myself if I plan on taking care of others for very much longer.

Nice to meet you all.
  • DeniseCole5
    DeniseCole5 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!, It all takes time and patience!,, ADD ME!
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    47 year old OR nurse. All of you can add me.
  • idivadi
    idivadi Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    53 year old Nurse..waiting for this shift to be OVER!!! I have been struggling for the past 5-6 years with my weight. I joined this site over a year ago and have not really committed to the journey.. I Have talked the talk but not walked the walk. I am ready to do this. Other older nurses will feel my weariness. lol

Feel Free to Friend Me,
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Labor and Delivery nurse here, and 46 . I am always looking for all the support I can get, especially from nurses... no one else understands all we really do and go through.... do they???:flowerforyou:
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    47 year old nurse here....anyone feel free to add me! We definitely understand each other like no one else can. We spend our time putting others above us so it is sometimes difficult to put ourselves first. Incidentally, I work nights in the NICU :)
  • traoldaker
    Options
    I always feel a kinship with nurses! 37 yrs old, Nurse Educator for 5 years and this desk job life has helped me put on the weight!
    Please add me if you like.
  • lindseyb317
    lindseyb317 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    20 yr old nurse to be! :)
  • Yummamamma
    Yummamamma Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    this younger fat nurse wants to be your friend
  • moreen2
    moreen2 Posts: 9
    Options
    I am not a nurse but I am older and still sorting it out. Add me.
  • romi3772
    romi3772 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Healthcare Administration. We have walking clubs at our hospital. Walk around building. If night shift, do it inside (like basment area) with a group. It helps. Start a Zumba class at the job too. Zumba is awesome. You can add me.
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    :happy: you can add me if you like I work in the health care as a telemetry tech and I am 56 we might have a few things in common.
  • PunkyG210
    PunkyG210 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a nurse also. I work 12hr night shifts on a med/surg resp/tele unit. I'm also trying to rid myself of what I like to call my "menopause middle". I have the hardest time getting in all my calories on the nights that I work. Hate having to decide if I should go to the bathroom or eat something.lol I'll admit that I'm trying to lose vanity pounds. I currently have about 2 1/2 weeks left to complete Insanity. Feel free to add me.
    Kathy
  • lori1939
    Options
    W
    e will get thin together, I am not a nurse but a bookkeeper, but i am older. I know we can do it but it is hard
  • 2011JAM
    2011JAM Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I feel a bit left out lol
    I'm not a nurse but I am a carer for blind/disabled
    Anyone want to add me feel free
    We all need as much support as possible :-)