Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    the fat persons lungs look clearer
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I'm Manny the mammoth and I'm not fat, my hair just makes me look poofy.
  • larsmac83
    Options
    I'm sure there are people out there that do use that as an excuse to be overweight, but my sister and I are the same height, came from the same original DNA, and if you put my wrist/ankle next to hers...mine is twice the size...the bone. Not the fat around it. When we are the same weight, she still wears a different size than I do simply because her frame is smaller than mine. It doesn't need to be used as an excuse, but neither do I need to be told that I can be something that I'm not. I will NEVER look healthy at 125 lbs where some people have told me is my ideal weight range. At my smallest, my doctor still only recommended going to 150 at the lowest, and she was even concerned about my health at that point, simply because I would look like a skeleton. It simply depends on the person. I have a friend that is MUCH larger than I am, but her actual bone structure is much smaller. If she were to lose the weight she needed, she would wind up much smaller than I am. That's just how it goes. She's smaller boned, and I'm bigger boned. This doesn't stop me from working hard to get to a healthy body weight.
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is the strength of the bones. Good exercise increases bone mass (density) and this is good framework for the muscles to work against.
    Been told vibrio helps bone strength.

Jasmin
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I AM large framed, have a decent amount of muscle mass and might have denser than average bones. I have broad shoulders, big hips, a big rib cage. I'm 5'9" and 158lbs. I wear a size 8 and my bra strap is a 36. I'm a "big" woman. I stand next to smaller frame women, even my own height and there's a definite difference.

THANK YOU!! I have VERY broad shoulders and hips. Even when i was anorexic, i was still the "big girl" because of broad shoulders and hips. My skeletal wrists still wore a watch with three extra holes to go smaller. Yet my friend who is 1" taller than me, even at 50 lbs over weight has to have extra holes put in her watch or links taken out.

I am sick to death of people saying there is no such thing. If there WEREN'T my friend and i wouldn't have two extremely different wrist sizes and should widths. The term probably should be Wide or Broad Boned, but it doesn't roll off the tongue like Big Boned.

edited to add: to the poster who said something about "petite" clothing.. having worked at several clothing stores, "petite" means short, not narrow. It's as much of a misconception as big boned.
  • Kjphotography90
    Kjphotography90 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The pictures actually look like one is a male and one is a female based on the difference in their pelvic structure. Also, the one on the LEFT of the screen (most likely male) has an artifact in his left shoulder, the one on the right (probably female) does not. The argument that this is the same person is *probably* incorrect.

I used to think I was big boned too until I went through x-ray school and realised that there is rarely a HUGE difference in actual bone size. Majority of people who come into the x-ray department and say they are big boned have a normal skeleton and tons of soft tissue rolls. Some people have a larger frame but usually your bone size is much smaller than you may think!!

People vary a LOT in muscle and actual frame, not particularly in the diameter/width of their bones!! This could cause people who are the same weight to look totally different. I don't think the terms used should be "big boned", people should stick with "larger framed"!!
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I too get frustrated by people's attitudes when it comes to 'bone structure' and they insist they can never get to 'x' weight because of their bone size/frame etc.
    It's RUBBISH!
    I used to be one of those people! So I KNOW it's balony!
    I'm 5'10" tall and have big bones and easily got down to a BMI of 19. Which puts me in the 130lb range.
    Other women of my height INSIST they can't go below 200lbs as they'll be skeletal due to their bones.
    Drives me nuts.
    LOL! But so do a lot of other things, so I need to take a deep breath and apply some tolerance.....

I'm also 5'10" tall and at all of my varying weights, when I've had my body fat measured, my lean mass has always come out to be in the 150-155 lb range. For me to get down to 130 lbs at 5'10" is not reasonable or realistic. I'd have to lose around 50 lbs of lean body mass to get down to 130 with a 20% body fat. Right now, I'm exercising to maintain my muscle mass, and if I have minimal LBM loss, then I could be at about 190 and have 20% body fat or be close to 210 lbs and have 25% body fat. People are built differently and have different size/weighted skeletons as well as varying degrees of muscle mass and ability to build muscle mass. I have never used my body frame/size as an excuse why I can't lose weight, but I know that a goal of 130 or even 150 is not realistic for my body. I know that my ultimate weight will probably still be considered overweight, but that's why I'm focusing on body fat % instead of weight.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to add that not only do I not use it as an excuse why I can't lose weight, I name it as a reason why it's easier for me to lose weight. I can eat 2000+ calories a day and still average 2 lbs a week loss. Yeah, I'll take it!
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    As people have been saying throughout the thread, frame size can certainly make some difference, especially when you get close to goal. I'm 5'8", large framed, hovering around 170 right now, and I'm a size 10. I want to get down to an 8, possibly a 6, but I know that even if I was at an ideal body fat percentage, I'd never fit into a size 2 or 4, because my hips and shoulders are simply too broad. No one believes me when I tell them my weight, and I'm talking about people who aren't just being polite. This has to do with how much muscle I have as well, but still, I think the point stands.
  • Kjphotography90
    Kjphotography90 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    As people have been saying throughout the thread, frame size can certainly make some difference, especially when you get close to goal. I'm 5'8", large framed, hovering around 170 right now, and I'm a size 10. I want to get down to an 8, possibly a 6, but I know that even if I was at an ideal body fat percentage, I'd never fit into a size 2 or 4, because my hips and shoulders are simply too broad. No one believes me when I tell them my weight, and I'm talking about people who aren't just being polite. This has to do with how much muscle I have as well, but still, I think the point stands.

^^^^^ This!!
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I know others have said the same thing, but I wanted to add my 2 cents. :tongue: I am short (5'4"), have a large rib cage, wide hips and wide shoulders. At my lowest weight as an adult (150 lbs) I was sitll considered overweight by several pounds. I wore a size 8-10 and looked unhealthy (several people thought I was on drugs). I do not want to be that weight again - it was not healthy.

A few years ago I hiked 1200 miles on the Appalachian Trail over 4 months. I was in the BEST shape of my life when I returned - and I weighted 180 lbs. My goal is to get back down to 160 - 170 range. Maybe when I get there I will feel different, but that is where I remember feeling healthy and fit.

Frame size does matter - along with other things like muscle mass. Honestly I don't care what other people think of me or my goals. However I do get tired of people making sweeping generalizations and expecting everyone to fit into those molds. There is great variety in our world. We should all strive to be the best, healthiest people that we can be and quit judging everyone else.

That is all. LOL
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Also, the wrist tests don't work for me. I have big wrists but I also have long fingers, so yeah my thumb and middle finger overlap.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Also, the wrist tests don't work for me. I have big wrists but I also have long fingers, so yeah my thumb and middle finger overlap.

Same here. I'm as small-framed as my dainty handed niece going by the wrist test. Giant man hands. To go with my giant man muscles, I guess. :laugh:

When I was super-skinny, I used to be able to encircle my wrist easily with my thumb and pinky. They still just barely touch.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I too get frustrated by people's attitudes when it comes to 'bone structure' and they insist they can never get to 'x' weight because of their bone size/frame etc.
    It's RUBBISH!
    I'm 5'10" tall and have big bones and easily got down to a BMI of 19. Which puts me in the 130lb range.
    Other women of my height INSIST they can't go below 200lbs as they'll be skeletal due to their bones.
    Drives me nuts.
    LOL! But so do a lot of other things, so I need to take a deep breath and apply some tolerance.....

This is insane!! I am 5ft 10 and I am 180 something! And I am still fat!! Abt 35%bf at least!! Although I wouldn't think I could get down to 130 and be happy and maintain for ever! But then I am not you! I have a medium frame but I have a very large ribcage and dense muscles meaning that about 160 is good for me, maybe a little more with strength training! My sister, however has a large frame combined with very large hips and knees. Even when she has a bf% in the lower normal range she carries all her fat on her legs and can't wear small trousers because it! And she wouldn't look very thin because of that! Peoples frames do make a difference and it is easy to judge people when you see them in their clothes without knowing what is underneath! People do use it as an excuse and it is annoying but people do need to be realistic as well. We are all trying to be healthy here and that should be the aim. I would rather be fit than thin and if that means my BMI will always make me overweight but my bf% will make me very healthy then so be it!
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It's RUBBISH!
    Drives me nuts.

And I'm 5'10" and have had my BF% tested. I have 127 lbs of lean mass. At 130 I'd have a BF % of just over 2%. Not healthy. There's difference by person. As many people have already said "Big Boned" is probably not the correct term. "Large Frame" is probably more correct. I do believe people use it as a cop out for being overweight.
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have a "large frame" for someone my height. If I stand next to my cousin who is my height and weigh 85 lbs and we look at her collar bone... her is tiny, I have bigger bones than her. At my very smallest 113, I looked tiny, you could count all of my ribs. My rib cage is larger than a lot of other women at my height. So therefore because of my larger frame I would not want to be 85 lbs. I do agree with the fact that the term big-boned is used as a crutch. The way I see it, the size of your bones does not determine how much squish you have on your body.
  • mommyjgo
    mommyjgo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Happy humpday everyone!! I have a Facebook weight loss page that is coming up on its 1 year anniversary and it's a very supportive community for people looking to lose weight and keep it off! I have lost over 100lbs so far and I love to get the word out and help people who may not know where to start, or feel like they are in a rut. I've been there. NUMEROUS times. This journey is not a race. It's about baby steps, lifestyle changes, and I'd like to hear from you! Please follow this link to my page and Like it! I'm going to be doing a 1kx3 Fitness Challenge! I'm trying to get 1,000 Likes (49 to go!) by my page's 1 year anniversary (August 26th)! You will get to help decide what torture 1,000 of some kind of exercise) I will do to myself too (ie squats, wall-ups, pec-press', crunches, (God forbid) burpees, leg lifts, wall bridges, windshield wipers (with resistence band), toe reaches (on the wall), wall scissors, Wall slide squats etc)!!

https://www.facebook.com/uncensoredmomma
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I always believed I was bigger boned and I still do. I am 5'7" and I weigh 154. I am a size 8. There are
    many women who at 5'7" want to weigh 125-135 or less. In my opinion if I weighed that I would be
    anorexic due to my frame. I think shoulders and hips say a lot about what peoples frame is.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You don't think people have different builds? My cousin who has about 100 pounds on me has smaller wrists than I do. She is the same height as me. Even at my skinniest I have a large build. Fat is fat, skinny is skinny doesn't matter what your bone structure is!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    It's RUBBISH!
    Drives me nuts.

And I'm 5'10" and have had my BF% tested. I have 127 lbs of lean mass. At 130 I'd have a BF % of just over 2%. Not healthy. There's difference by person. As many people have already said "Big Boned" is probably not the correct term. "Large Frame" is probably more correct. I do believe people use it as a cop out for being overweight.

Ditto. My lean mass came out over 140 lbs at 5' 10". I'm going for a retest soon, I hope, so we'll see if I've lost a lot of lean, but I'd have to lose a massive amount of lean in order to make 130 lbs a reasonable goal.

Now, can I go below 200? Sure, yes. I'm not THAT well-muscled.