Sabotaging Myself at the End of the Day

Options
Self control is not a strong point of mine. Up until a couple of years ago, I could eat what I wanted with no effect, so its not something I ever really needed to develop when it came to food.
I don't have much to lose, I just want to get a bit leaner and more toned.
I've been on MFP for a month now and its working really well for me - BUT I have one problem.
I can do so well during the day, healthy breakfast and lunch, minimal snacking (always my downfall in the past), no cravings, no problems. Get home, eat dinner and then the cravings start. They are completely in my head, my stomach can feel physically bursting, but my head is saying 'eat, eat, eat'. It happens if I ate a healthy meal, it happens if I ate a 'cheaty' meal and its driving me mad because I cant seem to control it. Some days I can get away with eating some fruit and it will go away, but yesterday I just lost it and ended up eating 2 pancakes with jam and icecream, 3 rows of chocolate, a piece of cheese and a popsicle. TOTALLY blew out my calories and I had been doing so well until about an hour before bedtime, I wasn't even hungry but I just couldn't stop myself.

I dont think its because I'm depriving myself during the day - I actually stood in front of the vending machine at work yesterday and looked at the kit kats (which I used to go crazy for) and didn't want one at all. I was on 1400 cals a day and it was a bit tight some days, so after dropping a couple of pounds I changed it to 1600 (1/2 pound per week) to give myself a bit more room, but it hasn't helped.

What to do? I'm sure I just need to man up a bit and develop some self control but any advice would be appreciated...its so depressing to see a days hard work go down the drain in a matter of minutes :(

Replies

• avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth after your last meal. Nobody wants to eat after that!
  • Putthekettleon
    Options
    I wish I knew, as I do exactly the same thing as you have described - following the plan well all day, then have my evening meal and bingo - I just can't stop eating even though I'm not hungry :0( Feel free to add me if you would like some support - it's nice to know I'm not alone in sabotaging my efforts at the end of the day! x
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Self control is not a strong point of mine. Up until a couple of years ago, I could eat what I wanted with no effect, so its not something I ever really needed to develop when it came to food.
    I've been on MFP for a month now and its working really well for me - BUT I have one problem.
    I can do so well during the day, healthy breakfast and lunch, minimal snacking (always my downfall in the past), no cravings, no problems. Get home, eat dinner and then the cravings start. They are completely in my head, my stomach can feel physically bursting, but my head is saying 'eat, eat, eat'. It happens if I ate a healthy meal, it happens if I ate a 'cheaty' meal and its driving me mad because I cant seem to control it. Some days I can get away with eating some fruit and it will go away, but yesterday I just lost it and ended up eating 2 pancakes with jam and icecream, 3 rows of chocolate, a piece of cheese and a popsicle. TOTALLY blew out my calories and I had been doing so well until about an hour before bedtime, I wasn't even hungry but I just couldn't stop myself.

I dont think its because I'm depriving myself during the day - I actually stood in front of the vending machine at work yesterday and looked at the kit kats (which I used to go crazy for) and didn't want one at all. I was on 1400 cals a day and it was a bit tight some days, so after dropping a couple of pounds I changed it to 1600 (1/2 pound per week) to give myself a bit more room, but it hasn't helped.

What to do? I'm sure I just need to man up a bit and develop some self control but any advice would be appreciated...its so depressing to see a days hard work go down the drain in a matter of minutes :(

Have3 to tell you, yesterday evening i was BIG TIME craving a dominoes pizza. I was on the website to order and everything. So I texted my friend Claire to tell her, and then went out for an hours bike ride. By the time I got back, craving was gone :) and even if I'd then had a little (which I didn't) I had extra calories from the exercise :) GOOD LUCK!
  • melindenmark
    melindenmark Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from this problem in the past, but for me it would be sweets. After dinner no matter how full i was i needed to eat something sweet! I started drinking tea after dinner and it slowly stopped my cravings. Not saying it will work for you just sharing what has worked for me.
    Good luck i hope you find something that will help!
  • Tui_Fan
    Tui_Fan Posts: 10
    Options

OMG this is the story of my life! I can be disgustingly healthy during the day, come home time I'm back & forth to the damn pantry...
  • soph501
    soph501 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do exactly the same thing! I'm really good through out the day, then after dinner I just pick at everything sweet even though i'm not physically hungry. I think it's a comfort thng for some reason. I'm curious to see the responses to this along with any tips :)
  • katiefly86
    Options
    Brush your teeth after your last meal. Nobody wants to eat after that!

I have done ^this^ a time or two. But first I always try to get out of boredom, because that's normally what it is for me. So I'll take a walk, or come on here and see what's new. My other thing is comfort. I turn to food for comfort. If that's what I need a hot bath normally helps. If one of those don't work, strangely, I'll do as listed above. Brush my teeth. Because I too HATE eating after I brush my teeth. These help me. Maybe they will or will not help you too!! Good luck!!
  • mad45678
    mad45678 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well, I can certainly RELATE!! And, I have the same judgment of myself you do AFTER hitting the snacks. Here's what I know:
    I cannot watch lots of tv in the evening because i will definitely eat after a show or two. Also, the after dinner sabotage takes on a life of its own. So, here's how I break it: I commit that NO MATTER WHAT my full time job when I'm home at night is to not eat after dinner (except my apple if I want one). So, sometimes I can't go anywhere near the kitchen, I can't talk on the phone, etc....the only thing I can do is NOT EAT. Then I go to bed with the radio on. In the morning, I'm euphoric I broke the cycle. I do this one day at a time. It finally gets easier after a week or so of craving.
  • roseymacdoo
    roseymacdoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this. Snacking at night after the kids were in bed was the hardest habit to break for me. It was like a compulsion to eat, and thoughts about food just used to get so loud in my head that I couldn't even concentrate on doing anything else.

It usually happens if I'm sitting watching tv, so to deal with it I just have to get up and take myself into a totally different space and do something different, like get on the MacBook and edit some photos, or go upstairs and read a book, or pick up my iTouch and play some bejewelled blitz - anything to get my brain to change gear and concentrate on something else.

Another thing I'll sometimes do is tell myself I'm not hungry, I'm just thirsty, and drink a big glass of water instead.

If it's literally in the last half hour before bedtime, I'll sometimes just go to bed, telling myself that if I'm asleep then I won't want to snack!

Once the habit is broken it does get easier, you stop thinking about it. But do beware it's really easy to slip back into it - I've been on MFP for 2 yrs now and was good for the first 18months. Then I gave myself a break for a few months and even though I pretty much maintained over my break, I did slip into some of these bad habit again, and now I'm back on it and pushing to lose my last 20lbs I'm haing these battles with myself all over again!

Good luck, do share any things you find that work for you!

Rosey x
  • NatsukoG
    NatsukoG Posts: 104
    Options
    Evening time seems to be my downfall too and I think it's possibly because I've learned to associate relaxing with eating 'goodies'. Distraction techniques seem to work best for me - keeping busy preparing lunch to bring to work next day, doing a few bits around the house, painting my toe nails etc.

I often resort to a can of diet coke as usually my cravings are for sweet things. I know a lot of people think diet drinks are VERY bad but got to be better than chocolate and ice-cream.

Good luck!
  • suadvani
    suadvani Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Omg.. This is my problem too. It's almost 1am I'm still watching tv.. (I get some alone time catching up with recorded shows in the evening..) and I've just eaten a bag of chips and a chocolate bar..
    The only way I dot eat at nite is if I sleep early.. Which never happens... :(
    I have great will power during the day.. Atleast most of the time :)... It's just nights I really mess up!

A friend suggested half a glass of milk..
    MY try that.. But will definitely try brushing my teeth as I hate eating with a minty mouth..

Thanks for the great tips, and so glad I'm not the only one..
  • sallysuze
    sallysuze Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you don't have it in the house you can't eat it...
    Or at least it makes it harder to eat so you have to make more of an effort than just go to the fridge or pantry
  • elrolloSurf
    Options
    I totally get this and I've gotten over by acknowledging one fact: I wasn't eating enough good meals and snacks throughout the day or drinking enough water. Typically I was eating a smallish breakfast and lunch, having a bigger dinner and then ate 6 biscuits or half a block of chocolate!

As soon as I upped my healthy snacks and drank at least 8 glasses of water, the cravings diminished to the point where i can occasionally have a small piece choc or a single biscuit and not feel like devouring a whole packet of bikkies or block of choc!

Drinking more low cal beverages like tea, green tea decaf coffee also helps :)

Good luck from a reformed fellow sweet tooth :happy:
  • natbeach
    natbeach Posts: 62
    Options
    I know how you feel - ifi have healthy desserts around, ill just eat a lot of them too. If I dont have them in the house... sometimes thats worse! if I go out im already committed to worst case scenario.
    Trying low fat/cal ice cream things at the moment and I try to mentally prepare for ONE after dinner and factor that in the rest of the day :)
  • SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I get into trouble like this when I've stayed up very late playing computer or studying, which has me sitting down for a long time within easy reach of the kitchen. Worked out that my problem is a more-than-four-hour gap between dinner and bedtime, and that once i've started overeating "just one more" turns into 20x more. Helpful fixes:
    1) Storing my junk food at my friend's flat next door (I have a key and can reasonably help myself during the day, but not during the evening). This is what it took to break the cycle.
    2) Brushing my teeth and using mouthwash immediately after dinner. (The knowledge that I'd have to floss AGAIN often halts the impulse to snack.)
    3) Using chewing gum as my evening sweetie. I'd rather chew $1 worth of gum every day than eat $5 worth of candy, so I bought heaps of different flavours!
    4) Not buying the wretched diet-breaking stuff. This means that some weeks, I don't purchase 1kg of cheese even if it IS on special... it's boring, but it's not forever.

Other things which help a bit:
    Higher % of protein in my diet
    No sugary snacks after lunch (including fruit)
    Lots of water, green tea, black chai
    Logging in to MFP and reading "If every day were like today..."

Hope this is useful!
  • HappyHag
    HappyHag Posts: 20
    Options
    Ok, this is going to sound INCREDIBLY silly, but this is what works for me ... (I've always been so good and in control during the day but nighttime rolls around and I'm insane)

A few weeks ago, I decided that I have a fat, gluttonous vampiress that lives inside me! (please don't take me too seriously here, I don't REALLY believe that). She comes out at night, and rather than feasting on blood, she sucks down as much sugary, starchy crap as possible. She sleeps during the day, as vampires do, but once that sun sets she's starving and on the prowl!

Now, at night when I feel her waking up, I talk to her. Not normally out loud where someone could hear me and call the men in the little white coats, but sometimes! I tell her that I'm armed with garlic, holy water, wooden stakes and anything else I can think of and will smite her greedy, cellulite covered *kitten* into oblivion.

Now, it doesn't ALWAYS work, but usually it takes my mind of the craving, leaves me feeling a bit empowered (picturing Kate Beckinsale her costume in Van Helsing always motivates me to be strong), and usually gets me to chuckle a bit and take a deep breath. I can, 9 times out of 10, get that vampire stuffed back into her coffin for another day.

told ya it was silly!
  • ElizaDnl
    ElizaDnl Posts: 46
    Options
    I read an article a while ago that claimed that to control cravings later in the day it is vital to have a breakfast that's high in protein. I've tried that, and it absolutely works for me. I find it difficult to eat that much for breakfast, but I can alway tell the days when I didn't get enough protein early in the day. I'm aiming for 25-30 g for breakfast and again for lunch, and if I manage to hit that, my cravings are gone. For me also, eating only three bigger meals works better than 5-6 small ones (but I know it's the opposite for most people).
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I just dont go near the kitchen / pantry after the supper/dinner/evening meal clean up
    literally. I make sure I have no snacks that I shouldnt have AT THAT TIME OF DAY anywhere else in the house so I cant munch while at my desk or watching TV. I keep a minimum of 2 bottles of water on my desk at all times...........in fact...there's usually a bottle of water anywhere I might happen to sit. My fiance' is a love that way.....he anticipates what I might need depending on where I am.

My worst eating time for "junk"....or less than healthy shall we say, is at work, usually in the morning. I tend to take a LOT of pickles/ cucumbers to work so I can munch them as I settle in for the day. I have to be sure not to have ANYTHING in my lunch that isnt virtually 100% healthy because I wont leave it alone--in the early morning. From that point there is no real snacking, no junk, no cravings. Usually Im so damn busy I cant see straight

But I digress.........sorry for the momentary de-rail

Have a super day
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    God this is me!! It's even worse this week as hubby is away on business so I'm all alone. I was in bed last night watching TV and I couldnt stop thinking about snacking even though i'd had a good sized dinner. I ended up going downstairs and raiding my cupboards for anything I could eat....I was so upset that I couldnt even convonce myself to stay in bed :(