E-Reader or Books

Options
Which does everyone prefer, an E-Reader or the book. Personally, I love to read from a book. Someone got me an e-reader as a gift, but I just cant use it.

Has anyone made the switch or not made the switch?

Jay

Replies

• Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I had virtually stopped reading, except on holiday until I got an iPad with the Kindle app. In the last 8 months I have read more than in the previous 8 years so that speaks for itself.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I figured that I wouldn't be able to make the switch, and then I realized that there was no way for me to move all my books with me.

What I love about my e-reader is that I can buy all of these classics for very little money. When I moved, I got rid of my $20 retail copy of War and Peace, then got the complete works of Tolstoy digitally for $2.

That said, there are some books that I just need to have a physical copy of. I also like that, with the advent of e-readers, book stores have started selling high-quality, nicely bound volumes of classics again.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm a qualified Librarian, and I NEVER thought I would say this, but I love my Kindle! I read loads of books on it but, I still have to buy books by my favourite authors in 'proper' book form, because I like to see them on the shelves and it's a different kind of reading experience. The kindle is great for the chick lit and books I'll probably only read once or twice because it stops my house getting over run by books. I also buy non fiction and recipe books etc in paper form. I think there's a real place for both to exist happily side by side.
  • jess393
    jess393 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    A few years ago my sisters tried to get me a kindle, and I absolutely refused! I LOVE real books, thought an ereader of any kind was blasphemy, lol. But they got me one this last Christmas, and I gotta say, greatest thing ever. My favorite part- I have 300 books on it, and I've only paid for 2 of them. Definitely worth it :smile:
  • shoz147
    shoz147 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have to say that I wouldn't be without my kindle now. I was a sceptic at first, but now it is my favourite gadget.
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I tried the E-reader and didn't care for it. Books for me.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Book - love the feel of a book and the fact you can share/lend to someone.

BTW not a technophobe either!
  • bii14
    bii14 Posts: 192
    Options
    E-reading is a pain. i dont get how people do it.. BOOKS all the way... we gotta save the medium from dying :)
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    For me it's my e-reader.....I can store a lot of books on it and carry it in my purse. That way I always have the book of my choice with me at all times.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I prefer books, but I've been using the Kindle app on my phone to read books at work, because I already carry enough stuff to and from. It's pretty handy, I have to admit, but I still prefer to have the actual book in hand.
  • Kashton2011
    Kashton2011 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I was also dead against e-readers, always saying 'they are not a book'. There is nothing better than the smell of a brand new book :happy: However; my book collection was growing and growing and my space to keep them was dwindling so I got myself a Kobo and I must say I love it!

I still read 'proper' books in either hard or soft back and I've kept my collection of books as I read them over and over but for storage purposes the Kobo is great and its easier to lug around when reading on the way to work or on long journeys. As others have mentioned there are so many free ebooks on the Kobo website and I know Kindle do the same. The Kobo also looks really attractive - white with a purple back :love:

The only downside I've found is that I can't read it while in the bath - so thats where my hard copy books come in :bigsmile:
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I have 300 books on it, and I've only paid for 2 of them.

That's not really something you want to be proclaiming in an open internet forum. This is what I dislike most about e-Readers. Authors trying to make a decent living aren't going to make as much because it's easier to steal a digital copy than it is to steal a physical copy. If nothing else, buy the ones from the lesser-known or independent authors.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I am an avid reader. I love the smell of books, thumbing through the pages of a new book, getting to the end and that satisfying slap of the back against the rest of the book!

I also love my Kindle. I keep it in my handbag and have many 'books' at my disposal at all times. When I fall asleep while reading in bed, it doesn't hurt as much as a heavy volume when it drops on my head. When I unexpectedly finish a book and I still have half an hour left on the train, I can just get the next one. My bag isn't heavy. My bookshelf doesn't need to be a whole room. And the charge lasts for WEEKS even when I read a lot each day.

I'm torn between two lovers!!
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options

That's not really something you want to be proclaiming in an open internet forum. This is what I dislike most about e-Readers. Authors trying to make a decent living aren't going to make as much because it's easier to steal a digital copy than it is to steal a physical copy. If nothing else, buy the ones from the lesser-known or independent authors.

A lot of books are free because they are classic fiction where the author is deceased and the copyright is out of date. Most of my books are free because I read tonnes of classics and only have a very small number of popular fiction on mine.

Perhaps this is what the poster meant. If not b!tch is goin' down.
  • Kashton2011
    Kashton2011 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

I don't think the above post necessarily means they are pirated copies - like I said in my post there are millions of free books available through the Kobo and Kindle websites. I have also only purchased a handfull of books as I'm taking advantage of reading new authors for free - legally
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I like regular old books better =] BESIDES most people *I* know with kindles don't even use them for books, lol most of the time they're playing angry birds or something on em.. Reading my *kitten*!! :grumble:
  • deadbeatsummer
    Options
    I am a hardcore book warrior with an English and American Literature degree (2:1 b!tchaaz)

I was a full on hater of e-readers, "it's the corporate world trying to sink their teeth into literature, man"
    That was UNTIL I had to read books that are so heavy that my wrists would snap off as I tried to get through my course material every day.. Ulysses by James Joyce, The ENTIRE Collection of Shakespeare, Moby D!ck (can't believe that was censored out..), Middlemarch, anyone?

It really got me through my last year at university. I still buy poetry and novels in book form as it feels good to read on paper and have my collection growing in my room, but for quick reads the Kindle is great. And its a life saver on holiday.
  • deadbeatsummer
    Options
    I like regular old books better =] BESIDES most people *I* know with kindles don't even use them for books, lol most of the time they're playing angry birds or something on em.. Reading my *kitten*!! :grumble:

You can play angry birds on a kindle?!... you sure??
  • I prefer books, but my kindle is so convenient!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Books.
    I love to read them, have them around me, browse book stores and libraries and just have them around my house.
    I have no interest in an e-reader.