Help.....

Options
What sort of foods are best for weight loss? I try to be healthy but I don't seem to be losing any weight.

Thanks

T.G.F.B

Replies

• jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Generally you want to shoot for 40% Carbs - 30% Fat - 30% Protein - this would be a good place to start as I'm not sure how much you are wanting to lose. Also try to stick to whole foods - nothing that comes from a box or container - sodium is another thing you may want to set your goals to track - it can do a number on your weekly weight loss. Don't severely restrict calories - your body will rebel ... slow and steady.

I'm happy to help with your goals if you like or if you just need some support every now and then.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats and dairy products, whole grains...I also subscribe to a 40/30/30 ratio.
  • Yummamamma
    Yummamamma Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    tons of veggies. Dip them and hummus and snack on them between meals.
    Lean meats, (fish, chicken)
    Quinoa
    fruits

I eat a lot of pitas stuffed with tons of veg and some turkey or chicken. avoid creamy dressings when possible

watch your sodium

drink lots of water
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to figure out wha'ts right for me. Everyone is different. You just have to find it. But I can tell you generally what is NOT good for you and I see this mistake commonly with people on MFP.

Eating at your recommended calories good. But to be under and be eating things like KFC, Cookies, pizza, etc. with no fruits, no veggies, no nothing... bad.

Eat common sense. If you look at the item and think "is this really worth it" or "I know this is bad for me... I shouldn't..." then don't. Don't deprive yourself either. You're going to have cravings, you're going to have foods you just absolutely love. If you eat good all week, or two weeks, maybe just one meal on the weekend you can treat yourself to a reasonable sized portion to what you were craving. That's the key there. Don't go overboard, don't buy a bag of cookies if you know you can't just eat one, but still allow your self what you love in small doses.

Other than that, eat healthy, eat as clean as you can, and keep working out. If nothing works, go see a Dr. and see if you have a medical condition that is causing you to have trouble losing weight. But there is no "miracle" food for weight loss. Just common sense eating. :)
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    And before someone else points it out - WHAT foods doesn't really matter, since weight loss always boils down to simple math:

Calories Burned > Calories Eaten = Weight Loss

You could literally eat nothing but spoonfuls of sugar, and as long as your calorie intake is less than what you burn - you will lose weight.

Of course...you're not going to be HEALTHY doing that. And that's where all that other advice comes in.

Look around for how to compute your BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate, and your TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. That will tell you how many calories you have to work with. If you are eating less than your TDEE, weight will come off.